Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-08-2003, 08:11 PM
Freshman User

Rockies is starting off with a positive reputation.
jerking truck and propane pre-heating?

Hi, there,

My 90' F250 diesel 7.3L got some kind of fuel problem. No matter cold or hot, it runs ok for 1 minute when first started, then start idle rough, can't even hold onto 500rpm. Dies half of the time. When in gear, it jerks and stutters all the time and won't go fast no matter how much I press down the gas peddle, it jump forward sometimes without warning. People watching may think I don't know how to use a stick shif.
It's really puzzling to me, I just move to a new place and is it possible the fuel is bad? I just changed the fuel filter and still the fuel filter light sometime go on then off after a while.

Also, since plug in is not an option for me, can I use a propane heater (without flame, 3,000 BTU) or propane camping stove to heat the block? for how long? I live in Calgary, it goes to -20c sometimes.
Old 11-08-2003, 10:37 PM
Posting Guru

Spectramac is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Spectramac is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Sounds like you are sucking air somewhere in the suction side of the fuel lines (from the supply pump back to the tanks).

Another thought, how many miles on that injection pump?

97 Explorer 5.0 AWD
87 F250 6.9 CTS turbo
Old 11-09-2003, 12:19 AM
Freshman User

Rockies is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks for the reply. Do you mean the fuel supply line has air leak?
I bought the truck a couple months ago. The previous owner told me he just have the injector rebuilt. So it couldn't be the injector, right?
Old 11-09-2003, 04:26 PM
Elder User

kidoo is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have heard about heating the oil pan using a roll of toilet paper soaked in fuel in a tobaco can. Lignt it up under the pan, protect from the wind and wait. I would do a trial somewhere away from the truck to make sure the flame is not too high but apparently it works.

When I am out in the bush, I plug mine with a gaz powered generator for an hour or two. It works.
F350 Lariat, 6.0, crew cab diesel, 8 foot box, 2006, SRW, 4x4, 2" front puck, scan gauge II, Rotella ELC, Coolant filter, Adjustable Ranchos, Rear adjustable Air lift, Rear sway bar, on order blue spring, stc.
Old 11-09-2003, 04:26 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels

Tags
jerking, preheated, propane