Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-07-2003, 06:16 AM
Junior User

oric is starting off with a positive reputation.
Tailgate load capacity

does anyone know how much weight the tailgate can hold on it when open? Thats on a 2004 f350 psd..

thank you,Ray
2004 F350 Lariat PSD 6.0 dually crewcab,Putco hog bar.ATS 4" S/S dual exhaust turbo down,Van AAkens smart box,pillar pod w/gauges,Line-X,Bores bumper guides.Diablo Predator.Limited Edition Access cover.
Old 11-07-2003, 07:00 PM
Senior User

BDU33 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Wink

Yeah...when it sounds expensive..its too much. No, really, I would think that the tech guys at Ford will know what the rating on the cables are. I'm guessing 4-5 hundred pounds? Maybe more, I dunno. I, and Im sure many others would like to know, what you're planning on doing with the tailgate to add enough weight to it that might make it crumple. Just curious. If you get any tech info please pass it along. Thanks.
Old 11-07-2003, 07:58 PM
Senior User

BobJonesSpecial is starting off with a positive reputation.
How the load is distributed over the tailgate area would make a big difference. (All at one small point at the rear edge vs. evenly distributed over the entire area.)
I've seen three prety good sized guys all sitting on a tailgate at the same time. (700 lbs. maybe?) I think that would be about max, allowing a little bit for saftey.

BobJonesSpecial
Old 11-07-2003, 09:04 PM
Posting Guru

Outpost22 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Believe it or not Ford rates them for either 100-200 lbs (I can't remember which). Their lawyers definitely got in on the ratings on this one

WE all know that they WILL hold a lot more than that
incab control, Lariat, Rickson 19.5" wheels, Michelin XDE-M/S, Flowmaster 50,
Lance Camper, blah, blah, blah.
Old 11-08-2003, 10:04 PM
Elder User

Like M. Fords is starting off with a positive reputation.
Had a logger come into the shop the other day with a new 2003 F350. I noticed that the tailgate was bent about an inch down in the middle. I asked him how it happened and he said just from stepping on it while carrying a 80# roller from one truck to another, and heard/felt a pop at the same time. He said he weighs about 250#.

So I would say 300# toward the end in the middle might be max. The 200# figure from Ford is probably correct for traveling down the road with that amount of weight on it.

These newer tailgates feel fairly light when you close them compared to the older trucks. Are there any built-in helper springs inside that take some of the weight off?
Old 11-09-2003, 10:52 AM
Junior User

zedosix is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have often loaded 7 or 8 hundred pounds on my tailgate.Think about it for a minute, if you and 2 of your buddies sat on the tailgate thats probably in the 5 - 6 hundred pound load right there. If they can't hold that then there is a real problem. I found that my tailgate is actually heavier on my 03 than the 01 that I traded.

zed
Old 11-09-2003, 10:52 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
2003, capacity, copacity, f150, ford, gate, hold, line, load, loadbearing, sierra, tail, tailgate, weight, wieght