General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

CMA Awards

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2003, 10:44 PM
TheBrokenMarine
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry CMA Awards

Did anyone watch the CMA Awards? Our boy Toby got robbed! And I know Johnny Cash was a legend and all but come on! Why do they award guys posthumously? They're dead...move on.

Old 11-05-2003, 11:09 PM
Carlene
Admom
Received 188 Likes on 116 Posts
You ain't kiddin' - Toby definately got robbed.

After I heard the first couple of award winners I went and checked out how the awards worked. They don't go by the general public. The ones that vote are CMA members. The only way to be a member is that you have to be a part of the music industry. I've never had any reason to check this out before, but although I thought the Cash video was very touching, it wasn't something I would buy or listen to unless it just happened to come on. Heck, he didn't even write it - it was a remake!!!

The other thing that ticked me off was that I've been following the (now garbage) that CMT has been promoting regarding voting for your favorite video. Toby's videos have been #1 for a very long time running.

I've always liked Johnny Cash, but I don't feel that just because he passed away this year, he deserved all the awards he received. Heck, when it came up to female vocalist, Steve said they probably figured out how to give that to Johnny too.

The few times they did scan the crowd, the crowd looked as shocked as we were.

Knowing now how crooked the awards are, I can't see how anyone could be proud of having one these days.

Old 11-05-2003, 11:33 PM
TheBrokenMarine
Senior User
Ahh yes...a fellow supporter. So what's the deal with Sheryl Crow bein country now?? I've not liked her ever since she took her "stand" against the war...and now I see her on CMT every morning.

Old 11-05-2003, 11:49 PM
Fordlover55
Still kicking!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Geeze, I just turned it on an hour into the show, came here and read this post and y'all just burst the heck outta my bubble. lol .

Now the only reason I want to watch it is to see Alan Jackson and Toby Keith sing, then I can go to bed.

Old 11-06-2003, 06:26 AM
TheWiz427
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got a kick out of what Alan Jackson told everybody "y'all need to support the new guys like Toby and them" (something to that effect).

Old 11-06-2003, 07:42 AM
horse_trader
Senior User
Alan Jackson is great!

Allison Crouse (SP?) bluegrass performance with the standing ovation was just perfect.

Boy those country guitarists can play.

My wife and girls just love it singing together....
"Heres to the girl that recked my world I hope shes happy with him"
Priceless

Old 11-06-2003, 07:45 AM
NH-Hottie
Postmaster
Toby was robbed. I was stunned.
But if you remember some years back. Tim McGraw caused some flack within the CMA community because he wouldn't sing one of his upbeat songs at the CMA's. He was a bit of a troublemaker in the begiining. They then gave him the shaft for a little while. But his ever growing fan base made him very popular, and then the Assoc had to give him credit for his talent.
I think the same will happen for Toby. He is very talented, and his fans will eventually dictate what the Assoc needs to do.

Old 11-06-2003, 08:02 AM
Bruin52
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think Johnny Cash was the one who was robbed. Sure he got a couple of awards, but how many of those would he have gotten if he were still alive? I believe those are just thank you awards. Thanks for being a legend and all you've done for the music Johnny, we really wanted to give this to one of the more popular artists that are equally as good as you are, but since you're gone, we'll give it to you. So CHEAP!

I was held against my will to watch it for about an hour before thankfully haveing to go to work. I knew it was going to be crap when they had Kid Rock and Sheryl Crow there. I like their music, but wasn't that the Country Music Awards? Then there was Shania Twain, who know's what genre of music she's doing now, I think that depends on what day it is or something. Oh well, at least the torture's over for at least another year. Actually, while I'm ranting about country music, I used to listen to country, then it dawned on me that I could write country songs all day long. I was living a depressing life, the music was depressing because it seemed to fit my life, so it was time to move on. So now it's been eight years since I've moved out of Ohio, I come back and I hear the local radio station (country is about all that comes in good) and they're playing the exact same songs they were playing eight to ten years ago. There's only about five or six new songs I hear in a eight hour span. Surely somebody wrote or bought something new? Or maybe you can only re-write the same story so many times. Sorry, but I feel much better now.

Old 11-06-2003, 08:32 AM
bronco351
Posting Guru
I like that new song that George Straight sung, you know the one about "honk if you HONKY TONK"!!

Old 11-06-2003, 08:49 AM
fordtruck87
Senior User
now ill tell ya who got screwed was joe nichols when he got his award did any one else see that they popped up blake sheltons name in front of him as being the winner big faux pau on there part buncha idiots

Old 11-06-2003, 09:00 AM
TheBrokenMarine
Senior User
What about Rascal Flatts givin Alabama their award...they acted like they didn't even wanna get up outta their seat to come up there?

Old 11-06-2003, 09:45 AM
460429_freak
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
well at least I wasn't the only one... my thoughts was well you haven't won a award since 69 so now your dead were sorry here ya go!! what about when Conway Twitty died his family requested that the cma would NOT induct him in the hall of fame that year just because he died now they had class!! I like johnny cash but his new song never got much play time here so I was in disbelive in all the awards he won agaisnt all them other artist

Old 11-06-2003, 01:13 PM
rebel_ford4x4
Posting Guru
Originally posted by TheBrokenMarine
What about Rascal Flatts givin Alabama their award...they acted like they didn't even wanna get up outta their seat to come up there?
alabama deserves it more anyway.

sheryl crow definitely aint country, i wish these city slickers wouldnt come into country music and corrupt it. they already have their own genre of music so stay there, how can we have different cultures of music if everyone bounces back and forth

Old 11-06-2003, 05:08 PM
Matts72
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
This is kinda how the Simpson's treat the Grammy Awards, anyone else remember the B-Sharps?

Old 11-06-2003, 05:38 PM
dtpatt2
Elder User
Toby was definitely robbed. Name ONE other singer this year that has had more hits than him in 1 year?

I Love Cash, but, if he were still alive, his name wouldn't have been mentioned yesterday.

Quick Reply: CMA Awards