1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Accelerator stuck

Old 11-05-2003, 05:38 PM
DS02F250
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Accelerator stuck

I just had the accelerator cable replaced. It's a Lokar setup and the old one was frayed on the inside and was sticking. The new inner cable replacement went in without a hitch. Cool deal. We roped it off, adjusted the throttle and AOD tranny settings... and I drove it home (about 45 miles) w/o any problems. Bada-bing, bada-boom, right?

I park Butch in the garage, cover Butch with his bankie and say ni-ni for a couple-few days. I come out to wash him, I get in, pump the accelerator once, turn the key to "alt" then pump the accelerator a second time while simultaneously turning the ignition all the way over... and "BLAMMMMM. WAHHHHHHH...."

The accelerator stayed floored and I immediately shut it off. I calmly got out, opened the hood, pushed on the throttle linkage to make sure it wasn't stuck in the wide-open position, closed the hood and left it. Crap! (and numerous other compund expletives later.... OK, you get the picture.

It's been a handful of days gone by now and I'm still wondering exactly HOW I'm gonna get him down the hill into town with a sticky accelerator??? The thought of a wide open throttle, downhill, 5000 pounds of metal and one set of front disc brakes with me in a panic to do the ol' curt the toes under the pedal and pull it away from the floor action? Uh.... no thanks!

Question: any pearls-of-wisdom on what the F%^! might be wrong NOW??? Buehler? Buehler?.... Anybody???? (and yes, that includes you, Fergie!!!)

Not so warm & fuzzy here in charred SoCal,

Butch and me (though I'm presently substituting an "i" for the "u" in his name)

Last edited by DS59F100; 11-05-2003 at 05:45 PM.
Old 11-05-2003, 05:49 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts
Couple thoughts.

1. Turn the idle speed up a bit so she'll be at a real fast idle. You should be able to drive without the accelerator.

2. Have Carl swing by and drive it over. It's just a 302 so he'll be fine.

3. Perhaps you could buy the replacement part and fix the truck yourself. No? Pretty novel idea but thought I'd throw it out there for ya.

Old 11-05-2003, 05:59 PM
DS02F250
Posting Guru
'fenders, (aka, Mr. Smarty-pants!!!) LOL....

I'd try it myself, but I have ZERO experience with throttle linkage, carb's, accelerator pedals, etc. So, I tend to want to err on the side of caution and let a pro do it ('course, in hindsight, I DID have a pro do it last time and look where I am now!)... Dowt!

Hmmmm.....

Old 11-05-2003, 06:07 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Daryl

You gotta start jumping under the hood and screwing stuff up your ownself. Just like the rest of us here.

Us poor people are starting to get jealous.

Old 11-05-2003, 07:38 PM
Kenny
Cargo Master
Hi Daryl,
I don't know anything about the Lokar setup, but you say you replaced the inner portion of the cable only?

All I can do is offer the obvious, which is sometimes overlooked (especially by me) when frustration sets in.

Couple things I can sugguest......

Outer cable casing damaged from first inner cable?

Pieces of frayed first cable stuck inside and binding?

New cable sat for a couple days, oxidized from weather, and in need of some lube?

Hard bends or kinks anywhere?

I realize I'm probably way off here, but trying to help.

Old 11-05-2003, 07:52 PM
himmelberg
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
With zero insight, it occurs to me that there is a spring involved somewhere. You might just check and see if one is dangling or missing. We Jersey boys are full of ideas. Best. himmelberg

Old 11-05-2003, 08:21 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
We Jersey boys are full of ideas. Best. himmelberg

You're full of something anyway.

Daryl,

I failed to remember you have an AOD with built-in self destruct mode if you screw up the cable adjustment. I would like to retract my previous advice at this time. If you don't see a missing spring or something real obvious, seek the advice of your mechanic. I don't want to hear the wailing when the trans goes up in smoke on you. Good luck.

Old 11-05-2003, 08:31 PM
DS02F250
Posting Guru
Gang,
Thanks for the "pernters". I actually DID check the springs on the throttle linkage. They're intact. Also, given the fact that it drove home 45 miles fine just prior to it getting "stuck"... well, makes me think it WAS ok (for a while anyway). I'll call my car club buddies at the rod shop and see if one can schlep a trailer up the hill and come get Butch. If not, nuthin' else to do but buck-up and tip-toe down the hill as best I can (utilizing the aforementioned and all-to-familiar "toe tuck" method as described in the first post).

Well, wish me luck!!!

Daryl and Whatshisname!

Old 11-05-2003, 08:42 PM
Purple55
Tuned
Received 58 Likes on 14 Posts
[QUOTE]Originally posted by fatfenders

You're full of something anyway.

This is a prime example of a pot calling a kettle,"black"!

Old 11-06-2003, 09:25 AM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Daryl, I don't have any tech ideas for you, but if you do have to go to plan C (toe tuck) I would suggest tieing a wire to the throttle and pulling with you hand instead of toes. Sort of not kidding: John

Old 11-06-2003, 09:38 AM
DS02F250
Posting Guru
Actually, that's a good idea, John. Did something similar a while back for an accelerator problem. Thanks for the reminder!

Knew I kept that wire hanger around for a reason!!!

Daryl

Old 11-06-2003, 09:42 AM
darkman
Posting Guru
AND keep your hand near the ignition key!!!!

You might try working it a lot to see if a bind can be detected. Call Lokar and ask them it may need a lubricant. Does your mechanic make house calls. He might since he just repaired this item or he may offer to tow it in for free. Good luck.

Old 11-06-2003, 01:51 PM
ferguson777
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Daryl,

I have nothing to add over what's already been said, except to say - I feel your pain.

No smart-a____ed comments this time.

Later,

Old 11-06-2003, 03:27 PM
BlueOvalRage
Cargo Master

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I'm with Kenny. If the springs are all there and attached where they should be, the previous failure probably lunched out the nylon sleeve in the outer cable. The easiest way to tell is disconnect both ends. That'll isolate the cable, pedal, and carb. It should be real easy to find the binding part that way. If nothing sees to bind with everything disconnected, replace the entire cable as it is probably only binding under a load. This installation needs to be reexamined in the first place. Most cars NEVER need a throttle cable replaced- even after 200,000 miles! If yours frayed that quick, something is either rubbing the inner cable or there is a serious misalignment problem and it's being sideloaded. Ya know, Daryl, if those car club buddies were truly buddies, rather than drag a gurney over for you to haul it back to the doctor, they'd crawl under the hood with you and help fix it. It'd probably only cost you a 12 pack - of which you'd end up drinking half. I know you like your truck a lot now, but you have no idea how much more meaningful it is when it is assembled and maintained by your hands and not your wallet. It just don't get no simpler than a throttle mechanism. Time for the 'ole knuckles to start donating some flesh to the cause!

Old 11-06-2003, 07:03 PM
DS02F250
Posting Guru
Fergie,
I'm shocked, amazed and (somewhat) disappointed in you. Yet at the same time, thanks for saving me a layer of skin on my ****!

Rage,

My rod shop buddies are just that: buddies. I get work done for less than half of what it would normally cost me AND I get to help. You guys seem to have the wrong impression of me. I don't just throw money at a shop and have them build it. If I can help, assist, learn, or turn a wrench... I'm in there with them. It only seems like I don't scrape my knuckles because I always give full credit to the shop because they provided the know-how and the majority of the labor. I have spent many an hour sanding, scraping, tightening/loosening, and tinkering. I can't tell you how many man-hours I spent scraping 44 years of junk off the underside and how many "tastes" of POR-15 I ate during the undercoating phase alone! LOL...

Unfortunately, I haven't the know-how, tools or aptitude to build/rebuild motors, trannys and rear ends, so projects like those I do leave to the pro's 100%. That's ok with me though, because I still get to look on and learn + I get the piece-of-mind that it's being done correctly.

I'm taking ol' "whatshisname" in 11/6 at 0800 for the throttle problem. I already stopped by the rod shop and discussed it with my guy there. He seems to think it'll be a fairly easy fix. I hope so, 'cuz next is a Hughes 2500 torque converter. That should light up the tires finally !!!

Thanks again, everyone, for continuing to help me through these (hopefully last few) hurdles. I really DO appreciate all the hints, suggestions, and even the cheap shots! (of which I am guilty of as well from time to time!)

Me and Whatshisname

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Accelerator stuck