1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

1964 F-100 power steering

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2004, 08:29 AM
paper-boy919
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i'm running a 300 6 cylinder.howeves bob's has the pumps and brackets for your 292 i'm sure

Old 01-08-2004, 10:38 PM
64builder
New User
For those interested in putting pwr steering on a 64 ford P/u. I have recently installed the unit from CPP on mine. I have the 292 engine and was able to find the engine mount brackets and pump from Gearheads Cruiser Products in North Dakota. (I couldln't figure out why so many places sold the conversion steering boxes/rebuilt pumps/and other steering products and no one sold the pump mount brackets. Dealers take note!) They said it was a bolt on but I did have to modify it some to get the pulleys lined up and also the large bolt hole had to be enlarged to make it fit. Frustrating but not terribly difficult. The Pump reservoir was pretty close to the exhaust manifold when I got everything on there so the belt length had to be played with to get sufficient clearances. (My fuel line was also in the way of the pwrsteering lines coming out of the pump.) As far as the steering unit goes I was disappointed that the hydraulic lines from the actuating cylinder interferred with the left wheel and substansially reduced my turn radius in that direction. After rerouting the lines I got it to a tolerable level. I will probably modify it more later. When I finally got the truck on the road I noticed a little drag when turning to the right. I'm told this is easily adjusted out but I haven't had time to try. The unit despite the problems greatly improved my trucks driving. I turns almost too easy. This is great in the parking lot but a little too touchy on the highway. I'll put on a smaller steering wheel some day and see if that helps. All this cost over $1000 so be prepared. May even be over kill but I'm doing this truck for my kids to drive and I wanted it to be easier for them to drive than it was for me when my dad first put me under it's wheel Good luck if you decide to try it. Hope this helps.

Old 01-08-2004, 11:36 PM
daveo64
New User
Thanks a lot for the post on the CPP kit. I at least know now that it's possible to find a pump and come up with a working solution albeit with some modification. I think I am going to contact Bob's to see if the Toyota steering box/pump is an option and then go from there.

Old 01-10-2004, 11:26 AM
paper-boy919
New User
they have the complete kit if you want to pay the money.i,however,bought the brackets and will be off to the junk yard for the rest.will let everyone know how it goes.john

Old 03-03-2004, 07:46 AM
paper-boy919
New User
got the brackets the other day and they look good

Old 03-05-2004, 01:29 PM
merc62uni
New User
The totota p.s. box has the steering shaft above the pitman shaft,opposite of the stock box. What this means is that the clutch equ. shaft will hit the Toy. box. No prob.if automatic,but needs hyd. clutch linkage/mods if standard.

Old 03-06-2004, 12:18 PM
dorianrey
Freshman User
power steering

well i have power steering in my 64, its off a toyota 4 x 4, if you want to know more let me know at dorrey69usmc@yahoo.com

Old 06-03-2004, 07:07 PM
jeff goldberg
New User
Useing toyoto steering box in 64 ford

Did you use the the whole colum and gear box. And if so how did it bolt up.It can't be the same bolt pattern can it?What about the pitman arm?Look forward to hearing from you thanks Jeff

Old 06-03-2004, 09:53 PM
dorianrey
Freshman User
ford 1964 power steering

hey man where are you located and if you can email me to dorrey69usmc@yahoo.com. ill try to gather that info for you , send me a message ok man, laters

Old 06-04-2004, 08:17 PM
jeff goldberg
New User
Bearing at the end of the worm drive

Does any one know the name and or part # for the small bearing that goes at the end of the steering Worm shaft in the Re-Circulating Ball Type steering box of a manual steering 1963
f-100.In the manual I have it calls it the lower bearing.And if i can find this part does it just sit down there at the end of the shaft in the box or is it pressed in?When i took it apart it was just sitting down there in the grease.And a few of the ball bearings had fallen out.I think this is most of my troubles with the steering on this truck. The rest of the box is pretty tight.There does seem to be some kind of race in the box on the pitman arm side where the sector shaft exits the box. And I think I might as well replace that while im in there.Does anyone know how I can safely remove and install a new one.Oh and a couple more things things.When reinstalling the Sector Shaft in the box where should the steering wheel position be and how should the gears from the sector shaft line up with the gears on the Ball Nut.And how do you know when the end of the shaft is tight enough in that lower bearing. Any help would be great. Thanks Jeff Goldberg

Last edited by jeff goldberg; 06-04-2004 at 08:40 PM.
Old 06-07-2004, 06:06 PM
jeff goldberg
New User
I found the part.

I found the Lower Worm Shaft Race and Bearing for the 1963 manual steering box I have and have decided to stick with the armstrong for now.The parts are in the mail and i'm hoping there the right ones.So now I ask of you that know.My steering box has what looks like a freeze plug in the bottom of it. And just on the other side of that plug inside the box is the lower Race and Bearing i'm going to replace.How does that plug and Race come out. And what is the method to reinstall the Race. Thanks .

Old 05-01-2011, 11:30 PM
lyrik19
New User
frustrated

what all will i need to to convert my 64 f100 2wd to power steering?

Old 05-02-2011, 12:09 AM
Jim W.
Senior User
Holy thread form the dead Batman! Glad this one came back to the top. I had heard of the Toyota box. Garbz was telling be about the assist kits Ford dealers put on the straight axle trucks. I never realized CPP offered a near complete assist kit. Thanks!

Jim

Old 05-02-2011, 01:01 AM
Jetcopterpilot
Posting Guru
Old 06-25-2012, 03:40 PM
460na63
New User
1963 F-100 Toyota Power Steering Swap

Hello everybody. I am new here also and new to these sites so I am posting this on several threads. Sorry for that. Not sure on the protocols. I am getting back my 1963 F-100 project after a few too many years. She is a 2WD Short Bed Unibody (Integral) now with a 460 and C-6. Gutted a 1977 Gran Marquis from radiator to drive shaft and rebuilt it all and shoe-horned it in. I love the look of the OEM straight axle but want power steering for many reasons. I have looked at the No Limit Engineering and CPP options. Am open to opinions but I am specifically wanting to do the Toyota Power Steering Swap if it will work. I have alot of work already into the King Pins, etc. as outlined below. I know a lot about the swap but not all the pitfalls.

I have a line on a 1982 Toyota Box and Pitman Arm and the Power Steering Pump Mounting Brackets and Hoses. I can even get the Steering Column that will make some things easier. Still in a running vehicle so I can check it out.

I believe I am correct that I will need a buy or make a modified Pitman Arm to mate to the OEM Draglink and a Steering Box Mounting adapter bracket for bolting box to the frame. Also believe it is a tight fit and the automatic versus manual trans will avoid some clutch/Toyota steering box clearance issues.

Now some hail-marys to other FTE members. Again sorry for the approach..

To Mark63F100 from another post - I have replaced all the king pins and tie rod ends and drained and refilled the OEM Steering Box. Also changed all the leafspring bushings so she is like new in those areas. I have looked at all the No Limit and other options. I found an old post from garbz2 on March 11 2008 that he did the Toyota Box swap on a 1963 unibody. What are your thoughts?

To Garbz2 again another post - If you are still out there and see this on March 11 2008 you wrote "Options include the Toyota conversion which i have done on a 63 unibody about 4 years ago" details on your experience would be greatly appreciated.
<!-- / message -->

Quick Reply: 1964 F-100 power steering