Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Super Duty & Heavy Duty 1999 to current Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines SPONSORED BY:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-05-2003, 10:50 AM
Junior User

Orlie is starting off with a positive reputation.
cruise control not working

2000 F-250 4X4 V-10 The cruise control is not working at all. Is there any thing I can check to repair this myself.

later
Orlie
Old 11-05-2003, 10:52 AM
Senior User

dinebito is starting off with a positive reputation.
is your abs light on?

Formers: MY03 F250 SD XLT CrewCab SB, FX4, 6.0L turbodiesel, 3.73 LS *** MY 07 F150 4x4 SCab, 5.4l. *** MY05 Hybrid Escape 4x4 *** MY03 Explorer V8 4x4 *** MY08 Hybrid Escape 4x4
Old 11-05-2003, 11:16 AM
Senior User

Foneguy is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have the same problem and have yet to have the time to figure it out... I first thaught it was because of all the wiring I had to do with the WD Turbo Brake. but I've checked in with WD and they said I don't mess with any of the wiring pertaining to the Cruise Controll. I have no other light's on the dash that may show that there is anything else affected. And I have yet to take it to FOMOCO. because I am not sure if it has something to do with what I have installed on the beast. Any info or expierences with this would be greatly appreciated.

YMMV

Your Resident Foneguy
Old 11-05-2003, 11:43 AM
Junior User

Orlie is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have no abs light on or any lights on. This might sound kind of dumb, but what about a fuse. I haven't had time to look at the problem so I need some ideas.

later
Orlie
Old 11-05-2003, 05:06 PM
Postmaster

jim henderson has a great reputation on FTE.jim henderson has a great reputation on FTE.jim henderson has a great reputation on FTE.jim henderson has a great reputation on FTE.
Don't know your model, but I have a 94 F250 460. Almost everytime I work on the passenger side of the engine, usually the plugs, I lose cruise control.

The cause in my case is that my arm bumps the vacuum lines that go to the AC box near the firewall. The vacuum lines are plastic looking things that go into black rubber connectors. The lines are either 2 or 3 per connector. The connector can be unseated enough to kill cruise but not be visibly obvious.

Sooo, go check each vacuum line by hand. It costs nothing to check, takes maybe 1 minute and at least in my case it is usually the cause of non working cruise.

Note that I also occasionally get an engine code set when the connector is off. I do not think the vacuum actually controls the cruise, but it sends a signal to the computer that I think the cruise uses.

Either way it works for me and best of all it is free.

Also check you fuses in the cab and under the hood. Trace all the wires or connections from the cruise controller to make sure they are clean and tight.

Good Luck,

Jim Henderson
Old 11-05-2003, 05:21 PM
New User

dayseizer is starting off with a positive reputation.
You ABS Tease!

Hey DineBito, my ABS light IS on, and my cruise control does nothing. I was going to start looking at fuses, etc for the cruise when I saw your post. Does the cruise get disabled if the ABS is reporting problems?
Old 11-05-2003, 10:13 PM
Posting Guru

nafzimo is starting off with a positive reputation.
Re: You ABS Tease!

Quote:
Originally posted by dayseizer
Hey DineBito, my ABS light IS on, and my cruise control does nothing. I was going to start looking at fuses, etc for the cruise when I saw your post. Does the cruise get disabled if the ABS is reporting problems?
With these symptoms, you may consider replacing the speed sensor in the rear axle housing. It is about a $20 part and easy to change. Oh, and don't be alarmed when your OD light starts to flash.

2002, F250 SD, SC, 8' Bed, V10, 3.73 LS
Old 11-05-2003, 10:31 PM
Posting Guru

DS02F250 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Orlie,

I seem to remember having a cruise control problem on a car I had before. It was an easy and relatively inexpensive fix, even at the dealership, so don't let them talk you into a new cruise control unit right off the bat.

I agree with the earlier posts: check the fuse and vacuum connections (cc does use some vacuum), then try the speed sensor, THEN consider full replacement if the cc unit truly is SHOT.

Daryl
Old 11-06-2003, 01:18 AM
Elder User

Shepard is starting off with a positive reputation.
Does your horn work when pushed? If not, it may be your clock spring.
Old 11-06-2003, 07:08 AM
Senior User

dinebito is starting off with a positive reputation.
for orlie; SURELY check fuses first. also, could it be switches in steering wheel? try pressing EXTRA hard on them and see if it kicks in. (i went thru 2-sets on my last vehicle).

for dayseizer; SURELY try replace rear diff sensor. $24 at dealer and very easy R&R. DS is right, and its pretty likely your problem. to my knowledge, ABS provides square wave signals over vehicle BUS from the wheel speed sensor inputs, so... no ABS, perhaps no CC...

Formers: MY03 F250 SD XLT CrewCab SB, FX4, 6.0L turbodiesel, 3.73 LS *** MY 07 F150 4x4 SCab, 5.4l. *** MY05 Hybrid Escape 4x4 *** MY03 Explorer V8 4x4 *** MY08 Hybrid Escape 4x4
Old 11-06-2003, 05:23 PM
Senior User

bigdawg460 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Re: cruise control not working

Quote:
Originally posted by Orlie
2000 F-250 4X4 V-10 The cruise control is not working at all. Is there any thing I can check to repair this myself.

later
Orlie
Ok,first there is nothing vacuum operated on your cruise.i would check the fuse ,but you will be lucky if thats all it is.A few things it could be,your servo,brake light switch,brake pressure switch, speed sensor ,or the buttons.There is a way to get a code out of your cruise servo.I believe you have the key off,then while holding the on button on the steering wheel turn the key on,the cruise light blinks once if the servo is ok,then within 3 seconds of the light blinking once you press off, resume ,coast, set.the cruise light should blink once for every button you press,and if it does then your buttons all work.,and after you hit the last button it will blink a code 1 through 5.Im trying to remember this all from memory so i hope its right.i think 1 blink at the end means pass,i really dont remember the rest of the codes.one is brake light switch one is the deactivator switch(brake pressure switch),and i think another is the servo.The cruise didnt work on my excursion when i got it,and it was the brake pressure switch.its the little switch on the end of your master cylinder,mine was actually leaking brake fluid out.if you jump the connector on the pressure switch and it will bypass it.thats how i made sure that was the problem after i got my code.and it worked.25 dollars for the part easy as pie.hope this helps,and i hope i am remembering right.
Old 11-07-2003, 09:39 AM
Elder User

jaxf250 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Simple fix - my bet is the brake pressure switch like bigdawg says. See my gallery here on FTE for a link to some pix at how to replace it. 3 minute fix.
Old 11-07-2003, 04:18 PM
Elder User

Shepard is starting off with a positive reputation.
To expand on my earlier post. I have seen two newer trucks where the cruise just stopped working. On one, (mine) the airbag light came on also. On the other no other lights came on. In both cases, the horn would not work when pushed. (It did work with the remote lock, however). In both trucks the clock spring was bad. We were both told (by different dealers) that this is not an uncommon problem.

So push your horn. If it works, it is probably something other than the clock spring. If your horn won't blow, I think you have found your problem.
Old 11-21-2003, 07:22 PM
Senior User

kmans777 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Hi guys, Just started having the no cruise control and ABS light illuminated. Dealer said they could be related as supported by what I'm reading here. Tried the check bigdawg suggested and got no cruise light during any of the checks. Tried the horn check as suggested by shepard, horn works. So I've seen 3 suggestions here, brake pressure switch, speed sensor, or brake pedal position switch(bpps on another post). Question- if bigdawg's check is valid, would any of these switches/sensors make his test fail?
Also could any of these have an effect on the SRS(seat and safety restraint system). I'm getting the chimes indicating a fault of some sort.
Daysiezer- Have you corrected the problem?
And to jax- thanks for the link,
1988 Ranger/XLT/4X4/2.9L/5Spd/Longbed
Old 11-21-2003, 07:31 PM
Postmaster

Waxy is starting off with a positive reputation.
Dimes to donuts it's the rear diff speed sensor.

Like nafzimo said, $20 and ten minutes in your driveway should fix it.

Waxy
Old 11-21-2003, 07:31 PM