Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

converting from EFI to carburator

Old 11-07-2003, 04:55 PM
mike_2000
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes I have pulled the codes and I get 11. This is after I replaced the computor. I think I have finally fixed all the problems. I have many new parts. After I replaced the TPS the truck started up and ran then died. I found I have been having spark problems. I replaced the ignition module again, I just replaced it 2 months ago, lucky for me it was a lifetime warrenty from autozone so they just gave me a new one. The only thing I can't figure out is
I am not getting juice to the red wire on the fuel pump relay. I hooked up a live wire to the red wire on the relay and every thing works great, I just can't figure out why im not getting power to it the normal way.
thanks for the help

Old 11-07-2003, 11:50 PM
fishin1976
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Qoute BBifle 'Forget carburators. Why do you think that the engineers at ford went to the EFI. It is simply better. Less maintenance. Less moving parts. Technology is grand.'

Fuel injection does not have less moving parts. Every injector has movings parts inside. Plus the fuel pumps that are not very reliable. When was the last time you saw a post about a mechanical fuel pump that broke, huh? you still have a choke, called a idle air valve that we often recommend to some body with a idle problem to clean. A fuel pressure regulator, a throttle body, looks alot like the butterflies on a carb, operates the same way too.

The point is: All car manufactures went to fuel injection for two reasons, Gas milage, and emmisions. The other benefits were just that, benefits. ( i.e. better cold starting, no tuning for altitude changes etc). Also, It gave the OEM a clean slate to start over with the planned life of parts. Every car manufacture estimates how long a part will last until replacement. It used to be about 5 years some things 10 on others. Those 5-year things where the expensive ones, Air conditioning systems, carbs (if they made it that long), Pre fuel injection emmissions computers, and EGR valves used to be very expensive. 5 years was long enough that only a small percentage would fail in the first 3 years (warranty period) and long enough that customers would not complain that ther vehicle ran out of warranty, start breaking down in the 4th year, and that they would never buy another one from that manufacturer. It turned into a big money maker for the automakers. 10 year parts, well, A much higher percentage of them failed in the 7-9 year range. This made a profit for the dealership service department and the part divisions of the automaker. OEM's have to carry a 10 years supply of parts for every make and model they sell, by law.

Just a little insight. and some of my opinion.

Old 11-08-2003, 11:18 AM
EPNCSU2006
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
fishin,
I have an 87 EFI F150 with the original fuel pumps, and 130,000 miles. I replaced only the rear in-tank pump because it rusted up from lack of use by the previous owner. My dad had a mechanical fuel pump fail before. I also have all the original equipment sensors, solonoids, etc. Also, you list carbs as a 5 year life expectancy item. My fuel injection system has lasted 15 years with no major replacements.

You are correct about butterfly valves being the same. What other way do you suggest that airflow can be controlled?

Fuel economy and emissions are not the only reasons auto makers went to EFI. Benefits, as you say are also another reason they went to EFI - they are not just byproducts of the whole thing.

EFI made sense for the automakers, as 90 per-cent of drivers out on the road today don't have any clue how their vehicle works. EFI is a system that takes a lot of thought out of operating a vehicle. It also makes diagnosis of any problems much easier and quicker, greatly reducing down time when there is a problem. This makes the customer happy - less time spent at the repair shop.

EFI is very very versatile system, and is capable of doing a lot of things. Yes speed density is a little limited in what modifications it will handle, but that was the first generation of EFI.

Fishin, I'm not trying to flame you, but just give some thoughts from the other side of the equation.

Old 11-08-2003, 01:50 PM
jwtaylor
Postmaster
I been watching this post and well appears people are throwing out opinions and thats my favorite part. I have owned efi and carbed vehicles and to be honest I in my opinion it depends on what YOU want. People argue this and that as another perspective I had a 77 pontiac car it got well over 20mpg with a big a** car and well had close to 200,000 miles on it when I parked it the car was my families bought new until I got it passed down when I was 19 or so as they didn't want it there wasn't one thing on the motor or engine related touched short of the alternator (did have the tranny repaired hey at the time what did you expect a teenager with a car I abused the crap out of it ). I drove it for a year or so bought a truck let it sit for 3 years never even opened the doors on it decided I wanted to see what would happen changed the oil put a battery in it repaired the tires as they had went flat at this point fired right up and drove it a couple of times a week for about 2 years to save miles a vehicle I had just bought. And if anyone knows anything about the 301 pointiac motor they were thought of as crap and unreliable yet this sucker performed like a champ from the beginning until I sold it and the SOB wrapped it around a tree. My dad had a 79 truck he bought new never touched a thing on it except a valve burnt more likely due again to my teenage driving habits as I hammered that thing every chance I got except for that it had not one thing replaced from the time he bought it in 79 until 93 or 94 when he sold it after that I cannot say if the fellow replaced any thing or not and the fellow is still driving it and that truck had many many miles on it. So as far as the arguemnt that efi is great I do think it is very nice to have but as far as carbed being crap I can't say that either as a well tuned carb motor will perform very well cold starts or not. Hell if folks wanna argue engineers moved on and make efi engines so stop living in the dark ages with the carb idea I may suggest wait a minute engineering has moved yet another step so get rid of your pushrod engine because your living in the past because technology says modular engines are the way. I think my point is it is all subjective. Also you have to keep in mind if someone mentions dependablility of their carbed or efi motor you have to ask yourself is this an exception or the rule? Just another perspective

Old 11-08-2003, 06:24 PM
EPNCSU2006
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Good comments Jwtaylor. I agree that there are reliable carb'd motors, but there are also reliable EFI motors. EFI is much easier for the general public, maybe not as easy to someone who works on their own vehicles and is comfortable working on carbs. There are still plenty of pushrod motors still being produced even though the design is at least 50 years old or so, but as for junking the old motors for new modular technology, I don't completely agree with that because it's much more difficult to swap in a modular motor and its related electronics than it is to install an EFI system. Again, I enjoy reading everyone's thoughts on the subject. I don't know if there is any way to argue the dependability of one system or the other, I'm sure there are big success stories with both EFI and carb. One more thing jwtaylor brought up was gas mileage. If anyone thinks EFI was created to increase gas mileage, look at the new 5.4 tritons getting 12-13 mpg. I don't know how a comparitavely sized motor would do for fuel consumption with a carburetor, but it would probably be similar. Keep the thoughts coming everyone!

Old 11-08-2003, 08:18 PM
mike_2000
Freshman User
I really like to see people giving their various opinions about efi vs carb and I think that when I started this post I was gettting at reliability of a carb vs the ability to diagnose a problem with efi. as I have said before I have corrected the problem with my F250 it had to do with Efi problems and igniton module problems, combination problems are hard to diagnose anyway. I have a boat that I take in the ocean in that boat i have a 1971 buick 225 v6 motor with a carb and points I know if I have a problem with either I can fix it to get back to shore. If I had EFI and electonic ignition in my boat I woldn't have the same confidence that if I had a problem I could get back to shore.
some food for thought.

Old 11-09-2003, 07:36 AM
jwtaylor
Postmaster
I believe a good point has been brought up. IF efi motors don't make any better mpg how can one convince me that efi is a desingers advantage when they do have to take into account overall cost and placement of more accessories? Hmmm

Old 11-09-2003, 11:04 AM
1as
New User
I havea F350 EFI and at one time ..... would not start. I replaced the front/rear fuel tank switch and it fired right away. Just an idea.