Modular V10 (6.8l)  

Heh, heh, heh, played with a Dodge Hemi Magnum last night...

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2004, 09:50 AM
HeavyAssault
Cargo Master
Received 203 Likes on 109 Posts
Post the proof and we can believe.

Old 02-16-2004, 01:01 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 297 Likes on 156 Posts
Originally posted by DJR 17
This is bull$@%t. A 99 F350 drw beating a Dodge with a hemi. Give me a break. I bet the Ford does 0-60 in 10+ seconds while the Dog does it in 8. Come on guys keep it real already!
Sure, it might reach 60 MPH in less time, but the V10 is already way ahead by the time the Hemi hits 60.

0-60 times are like HP figures - WORTHLESS.

Look at the torque curve, and then put a Hemi in a Dodge that weighs the same as the Ford. Then, do distance races (not a race to a certain speed, but overall distance).

Stories on here about V10's beating Hemis are usually stoplight-to-stoplight, or puling a lot of weight. Unless you're pulling over 3600RPM on the Hemi, you have the power of a 5.0 litre.

Remember, in a race, if you slip behind even a little bit at the start, you have a tough time catching up.

Old 02-16-2004, 01:32 PM
Fordnatic131
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd like to stuff a Triton V10 in a passenger car like a late 80's Ford Crown Victoria. Do you think it would be possible? And what mods would be necessary to carry out the trasplant?

Old 02-16-2004, 01:38 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 297 Likes on 156 Posts
Originally posted by Fordnatic131
I'd like to stuff a Triton V10 in a passenger car like a late 80's Ford Crown Victoria. Do you think it would be possible? And what mods would be necessary to carry out the trasplant?
It's been done, or at least it was spec'd out and it would fit.

Someone put one into an MN12 t-bird ('89-'97), and if it fits in there, it can fit into a CV.

Old 06-01-2004, 03:57 PM
STGFordCrazy04
Post Fiend
I think there is a good reason the "SO CALLED" HEMI doesnt post their torque numbers, but you know my 5HP push lawnmower doesnt either. Take that as you will! :-P . Dodge is running around shouting "Its got a hemi" I think they would be better off and more correct in saying "It runs on gas." IMHO, stoplight to stoplight racing is not all about HP #s. Its a grand combination of HP, Torque, Gearing, and Hookup/tires. If you are coming down the back stretch at Atlanta Motor Speedway 35 HP would play a serious part. I think there are just too many factors to say I cant win on the street bc he has 35 more hp.

Old 06-01-2004, 04:34 PM
westladog
Senior User
Once in a while I would love to just "floor it" with my V10 but I'm always afraid that it would put too much stress on the tranny and rear-end.

I'm afraid things might start leaking or fall out of the vehicle.

Someday I'll have enough ***** to just floor it....once in a while.
But for now, I'm not willing to risk ruining a perfect running truck.

Old 06-01-2004, 06:53 PM
airtractrdrivr
Senior User
Originally Posted by DJR 17
This is bull$@%t. A 99 F350 drw beating a Dodge with a hemi. Give me a break. I bet the Ford does 0-60 in 10+ seconds while the Dog does it in 8. Come on guys keep it real already!

oooohhh, a non believer. Tell you what little man, go get yourself one of those shiny little Hemi's, then come find me. We'll just proceed to see who is full of Bull***t. The specs say it all... The hemi has no low end, whereas my V10 has loads of it. I've also got 4.30 gears and a few mods, but I would venture to guess by looking at the specs I could have beat him without all that. You know, I really wouldnt have even messed with it if the driver hadnt been so arrogant about it. I've got an 8.90 Mustang Fastback in the garage if I want to go drag racing. Then there's guys like you, armchair experts who think that if YOU havent seen it done, or done it yourself, well, it MUST be bulls**t. You are the one who needs to get real, or maybe just keep your trap shut until you learn what in the hell you are talking about.

Old 06-02-2004, 07:05 AM
150ford
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey airtractrdrivr excellent post there you said it all. Dont some people think there know it alls. These hemi guys are a cocky bunch. Visit the the dodge websites youll see what mean. They think these hemis can beat anything on the road. Bull there not near as great as you think. Another cocky dodge guy. Oh well.

Old 06-02-2004, 08:20 AM
michaelmueller
Senior User
I have neither raced or driven the hemi dodge, but anyone here could go to the nearest dodge dealer and test drive a new hemi and then come to his/her own conclusion. Just my .02

Old 06-02-2004, 02:23 PM
ken04
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by airtractrdrivr
oooohhh, a non believer. Tell you what little man, go get yourself one of those shiny little Hemi's, then come find me. We'll just proceed to see who is full of Bull***t. The specs say it all... The hemi has no low end, whereas my V10 has loads of it. I've also got 4.30 gears and a few mods, but I would venture to guess by looking at the specs I could have beat him without all that. You know, I really wouldnt have even messed with it if the driver hadnt been so arrogant about it. I've got an 8.90 Mustang Fastback in the garage if I want to go drag racing. Then there's guys like you, armchair experts who think that if YOU havent seen it done, or done it yourself, well, it MUST be bulls**t. You are the one who needs to get real, or maybe just keep your trap shut until you learn what in the hell you are talking about.
346 cubic inches is 346 cubic inches. 390 ft lbs is still 390 ft lbs, no matter what you call the motor. I guess some people think of some mystical engine or some super-duper dragon slayer when anyone says 'hemi'. Do they know hemi is short for hemisperical ? In the 50's and 60's hemis were king, because other manufacturers technology was still a bit lagging besides the fact that the hemis of the day were much bigger cubic inch than most other V-8's of the day. But that gap is gone today, that 5.7 liter hemi is just another motor, it can't magically beat more torque and a fatter torque curve. It's simple mathmatics. 2 equal weight vehicles with the same gearing, tire size, driver skill, etc, etc, 425 foot pounds of torque over a WIDER rpm range will beat 390 ft lbs pounds everytime, even if the hp is rated slightly higher. HP is "torque X RPM divided by something" (.525525 or ???) I love all those guys with the 2.0 liter 4 cylinders talking about 240 hp (like the Honda S2000 for example), yea, at NINE GRAND. That sounds like a fun vehicle to drive around town, NOT.

Old 06-02-2004, 02:46 PM
Big Orn
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
I never thought the "hemi's" were much punkins anyway. I have a '99 V10 that'll smoke the horns off 'em.

I was leary about the 6.0 PSD's at first, but the two I've "tested" were fairly easy game.

Would this be pushing the gas vs diesel issue, Ken?

Old 06-02-2004, 03:26 PM
ken04
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by westladog
Once in a while I would love to just "floor it" with my V10 but I'm always afraid that it would put too much stress on the tranny and rear-end.

I'm afraid things might start leaking or fall out of the vehicle.

Someday I'll have enough ***** to just floor it....once in a while.
But for now, I'm not willing to risk ruining a perfect running truck.
You can't put enough stress on the tranny and rear end with just the engine. You could if you hooked 20,000 pounds behind it and drove it like you stole it for a long time, but even that would take years, because lots of V-10 F-series do exactly that, and nothing falls off or leaks out. You aint gonna ruin your perfect truck by flooring it amigo, in fact, if you don't use it, why have it ? You could have saved a couple thousand bucks and bought a 3.0 Ranger. Now GET OUT THERE AND USE THAT POWER BUCK-O !! I mean it !! You'll have a &^%$-eating grin on your face for the rest of the day. That V-10 wound up tight and spittin out horsepower has an awesome sound and an awesome feeling. Those trucks were built to use, so USE IT ! Peace, Ken

Old 06-02-2004, 04:05 PM
fn250
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Helpless
Engine
Miserably
Inside

'nuff said

Last edited by fn250; 06-02-2004 at 04:16 PM.
Old 06-02-2004, 04:53 PM
STGFordCrazy04
Post Fiend
FN: that made my crappy day so much better. I like that! Infact, I think Im going to get a sticker cut with those exact words on it. Unless you have copywrited it of course.

Old 06-02-2004, 06:04 PM
fn250
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
patent pending ... but it's coo go ahead and use it ... like I always say I'd rather be stroked than rammed ...

Ford 'nuff said

Quick Reply: Heh, heh, heh, played with a Dodge Hemi Magnum last night...