General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Homework

Old 11-04-2003, 11:21 PM
Peter94
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Homework

Ok, I want to hear a few other opinions on the amount of homework one should be getting in school.

I believe that when you have to go to school from 7:55-2:55 that should be all the time you spend doing school things to a certin extent. Like if you get assigned somthing in class, and you screw around and dont finish it, then you have homework. When you think about it, thats probably what homework started off to be. Now its evolving into, "well, obviously 7 hours of school isnt enough, so we'll assign 3 more hours of stuff for you to do". At least thats what it feels like to me. It makes it even worse when you have sports that go until about 6:00. You have no time to do anything fun. Then some of the stuff they teach you and have you do is just plain worthless. For example, in gym class we had to know where racketball originated from, and other worthless thing similar to that. Whats that gonna help? Maybe a victory in a trivial pursuit game....

All in all i feel that homework is a stress that isnt necassary.

How do you feel?

Old 11-04-2003, 11:39 PM
acerockola77
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What can we learn in a couple hours at home that we can't at school? I agree, it's a waste of time. But what classes are you taking to have 3 hours of homework? I have always found my best stragity to get my homework done in classes that I don't have to do much, it's a hell of a lot easier that way.

Old 11-05-2003, 12:15 AM
Peter94
Postmaster
Yeah, i had english, which always took up at least an hour, then physical science, which is another good half an hour of worksheets, then adv geometry, which is anywhere from half hour to an hour of graphs, lines, charts, and problems that take up like half a page. and spansih which can be anywhere from 15 min, to about half an hour. then when it came time for finals, they all seemed to pile projects on you with the same due date, so you had like 3 things due on the same day, its a pain! This year things are easier, cause of commons and all. i always take care of my math in that class, then theres still biology and health, health is one of those classes where they seem to give you a bunch of pointless stuff to do. For example i'm typing up a presentation on condoms and birth control (basically how to put on a condom for the extreemly challanged people who cant read the back of the packaging). But maybe people actually dont know how to use one, i dunno?

Old 11-05-2003, 01:57 AM
willowbilly3
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The only possibe rationale that I can find for all the homework that my kids have is that it prepares them for a study habit they will need when they get to college. I don't think they should have to bring home more than a half hour or so of homework on a regular basis, although extra time to work on something like a term paper would be required. Or studying for finals.

Old 11-05-2003, 02:05 AM
screwy
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I haven’t slept since Monday morning, and I wont be anytime soon. If that gives you any idea to the extent of my work load. I get about 20 hours of sleep Mon - Fri and sleep as much as possible Sat - Sun.

Old 11-05-2003, 02:41 AM
willowbilly3
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
srewy are you a high school student?

Old 11-05-2003, 02:45 AM
screwy
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
No, college. Should have specified.

Old 11-05-2003, 06:46 AM
maa139
Posting Guru
I used to get most of my homework (HS) done at lunch and in study halls College work got done between classes in the student union. Grad school homework was usually done on the nights that I didn't have class and on weekends. Maybe they are just trying to prepare you for the 65 hour work weeks that you might have to put in at some point.

Old 11-05-2003, 07:55 AM
bigdmizer
Elder User
Be glad you don't live in Japan or Korea. They go to school for almost the whole year, they get about a month off. They spend about 12 hours a day in school and about 4 more studying.

Hmmmmmm......and for some reason they have some of the best testing scores and work ethics in the world.
Some day Americans will begin to realize the value of a "good" education. We used to have the best students in the world.......about 50 years ago. We were the best and the brightest. Now? let's just say the majority of Students are better at video games then getting good grades. For the past 20 years Americans have been backsliding due to Political correctness. "no student left behind". Well what do you expect when you keep lowering the "bar". Eventually it gets so low that your students get straight A's in school and fail the standard tests. Because the straight A's are a by product of reduced expectations.

Something to think about: Japanese students and some European students learn more in high school then the majority of 4 year American College students have learn in their entire education. So go ahead and complain some more about "too much homework".

Old 11-06-2003, 06:52 PM
wolfmanagh
Posting Guru
I've been out of school for a while now and my opinion has not changed on this one.
I don't believe in homework.
Reason: After the kid graduate and go on and get a job, how many employers are shoving extra work on their employees to do at home?

I was one of the lucky few. I went to a school where the teachers did not give homework out for 2 reasons.
1: they figured the kids wouldn't do it anyways
2: they where afraid the books wouldn't come back

Old 11-06-2003, 08:19 PM
13hondacr250
Posting Guru
Think you have homework now? Try college. I've gotten into arguments with some professors about the amount of homework they assign. 4-5 classes and each one of them gives you avg 2 hours each night.

I get into with them cause its extremely hard to be a full time college student and have to have a job to pay the bills. Some profs seem to think that you should only concentrate on THEIR class. They don't care you have other classes and have to have a job. Hence I have failed a handful of classes cause I can't keep up.

Hmm Do homework and pass the class. Or go to work and keep a roof over my head, food on the table and fuel in the truck. I'll take work.

Old 11-06-2003, 08:32 PM
rebel_ford4x4
Posting Guru
luckily i dont get much anymore because right now i have school and then i go to work when i get out. and i work about 30 hours a week. which really isnt much, but if you combine school and work together doesnt leave much free time. thank god im a senior and outta there in the spring..hopefully...

Old 11-06-2003, 08:36 PM
couleeman
Posting Guru
I must of lucked out because I didn't do much homework in High School or College. I did almost fail English in High School though. I just hope my kid ends up with better study habbits then I had, or is smart enough that he can get through without them.

Old 11-06-2003, 08:37 PM
rebel_ford4x4
Posting Guru
Originally posted by bigdmizer
..Now? let's just say the majority of Students are better at video games then getting good grades. For the past 20 years Americans have been backsliding due to Political correctness. "no student left behind". Well what do you expect when you keep lowering the "bar". Eventually it gets so low that your students get straight A's in school and fail the standard tests...
its because everyone today is lazy from the lazy society we have, everyone wants everything fast and they dont care about quality. at school all everyone does is goof off and cause problems. there is so many immature people out there its sad. im not saying i dont goof off every so often but to the extent that i see everyday at school is terrible. they should just shut up and do their work. but i dont think teachers need to pile on the work because people have lives outside of school

ps: im not one of those goodie goodie kids that gets straight A's, ive failed 4 classes, but i still do my work and make an effort

Old 11-06-2003, 09:13 PM
Peter94
Postmaster
Yeah i know what your talking about with the kids who goof off all the time. Especially in my Technology 2 class, which is one that idiots can take to slack off in. I'm there because i like workin on small engines and i want to know how to weld. That to me is fun. But they're runnin around playin with the car lift and beating things with hammers..... It drives me crazy, especially when i'm tryin' to concentrate. The good thing is my tech teacher is the kind that doesnt go strictly by the books, if you're goofing around and you **** him off, he wont hesitate to kick you out of class. And he always keeps an extra eye on the kids who are always screwin around. I"m also not a strait "A" goody goody butt kisser. I'm not a dirt idiot either, when theres work to be done, it'll get done

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Homework