1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is towing two trailers legal in your state?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2003, 05:07 PM
jetjock16
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is towing two trailers legal in your state?

guys as you know i was thinking about modifiy'n my TT to fit some quads on it.. well the locals(Im not from TX!) say its legal to tow two trailers...I went and checked the state patrol...It is legal here.. i dont know about safe though... Anyway i have a 12' cargo trailer.. so know i think the easy way might be to just add a hitch to the back of my TT and tow the cargo trailer.. my F250 can handle the weight..... the TT has brakes, the Cargo does not..i cant even imagine trying to back up two trailers... Anyway my real question to all you is what states am i going to be able to travel like this through?.. if i could get to CA and back (GLAMIS) id be happy.. for you geography buffs...thats TX,New Mex, Ariz. Cali.... do you guys know your local laws? help me out..
what do you guys think of two trailers?
thanks guys
Jetjock16

Old 11-03-2003, 05:16 PM
Gwilkrrs
Fleet Mechanic
Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
tandums are legal here in md

Old 11-03-2003, 05:17 PM
FortyFords
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Well you won't be coming our way (new York )so it doesn't matter. Can't do it here.!

I believe both trailers need brakes though due to breakaway safety !!!!!!! And you need to chk your overall length !

Rich

Old 11-03-2003, 06:02 PM
Fordbigfoot
Freshman User
If you ever head this way, (Indiana) they allow it but there is a total length limit.

Old 11-03-2003, 06:04 PM
mikewrt
Senior User
I think its ok here in AZ.

Old 11-03-2003, 06:19 PM
SoCalBlue
Freshman User
JetJock16,

I'm almost positive its legal in California.

Don't you see allot of Semi's pulling 2 and 3 trailers? If its legal for them I think it would depend on your vehicles weight what your authorized to pull.

Another point I wanted to make, I'm a Glamis junkie having gone more times than I can count last year, and most of us that haul our toyboxes to Glamis, unload our toys upon arriving, allowing us to use them to sleep in during the night.

Not sure why you would need the extra trailer unless you have a Sand Rail. You have 16 feet of storage and a truck bed. Is that enough?

Sorry if it sounds like I'm getting a little nosy.

Old 11-03-2003, 06:34 PM
cgl
Posting Guru
Not to start a war, but I'd have to disagree with SoCalBlue. While getting ready for my commecial license, I've learned normal everyday drivers cannot tow more than one trailer. These are copied directly from the 2003 California Drivers Handbook....

"No passenger vehicle regardless of weight, may tow more than
one vehicle."

"Class C licensees may not tow more than one vehicle."

"Class A... -may tow more than one vehicle, with endorsement"

So technically you'd be illegal in Cali... but only if you get caught right?

Old 11-03-2003, 06:38 PM
dagwood41
Senior User
Two Trailers

I think you might want to check into this a little more. Here in good ol Michigan it is legal to tow two trailers...But the first trailer has to be a 5th wheel and the second trailer has to be under so many lbs. And no double tag trailers. You see a lot of fishermen towing a small boat behind their 5er without trailer brakes.

Old 11-03-2003, 07:12 PM
SoCalBlue
Freshman User
Originally posted by cgl
Not to start a war,

"No passenger vehicle regardless of weight, may tow more than
one vehicle."

When I stated depending on the weight off your vehicle, who said we were talking about passenger vehicles.

Last time I checked, depending on your trucks weight you can get it registered as a commercial or other, which plays by whole different set of rules.

Old 11-03-2003, 07:49 PM
cgl
Posting Guru
You're killin me Smalls...

"Class C licensees may not tow more than one vehicle." "Class A... -may tow more than one vehicle, with endorsement"
I know there's more to it than just the "type" of vehicle. I currently register two commecrial vehicles (yes, that means there is only one letter in the vehicles license). And you could register a F-250 as non-commercial. Why, I haven't the slightest. But you could, and then you could not haul anything in the bed.. etc... etc.. And yes I may be wrong in one sense. But I may be right in another.

2003 California Drivers Handbook

Old 11-03-2003, 08:10 PM
FILDO
New User
Thumbs up

I just talked to the CHP, he said it was legal to tow doubles in California but you need a doubles endorsement. Hopefully, that doesnt mean I have to get a full blown Class A license. Phil

Old 11-03-2003, 08:25 PM
jetjock16
Posting Guru
Hey SoCal.. the reason i dont buy a toybox is $$, i dont got any extra right now and i already own these two trailers.. the hitch setup custom made is estimated at $250.00... cant even drive around to the local dealers in a day and spend less money than that in gas and food etc... so its just a money thing.. the day an unbeatable deal presents itself on a toybox,toyhauler,gearbox..etc.. ill take it.

Anyway guys, thanks for the great advice.. i only have to inch in to Cali about 50 miles to the turnoff from Glamis.. so i could probably make it.. how bout NM? the laws in TX say the combined trailers cant be more than 65ft and the middle trailer has to be longer than 12' and have brakes.. thats all the rules... so im going to give it a shot..

please keep the advice coming...

Im not going to go to the lenghts of registering my truck commerical or getting an endorsement.. i know those options are out there.. thats the route you have to go up in OR, and WA.. i used to live up there and you see semi's pulling 2 trailers, but never personal rigs..
thanks guys.
Jetjock16

Old 11-03-2003, 08:25 PM
99f350sd
Lead Driver

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
I can see serious whipping problems happening with 2 relatively light trailers. sounds like the 5th wheel and then a small trailer would be ok..

Old 11-03-2003, 08:50 PM
jetjock16
Posting Guru
well guys i think im going to give it a try for only $200 bucks its worth if it works for me... the good news is the distance to my regular sand box.. is 225 miles of pretty much straight TX backcountry road.. the speed limit is 75 and i usually see about 4 to 10 cars in the 4.5 hour trip.... no real towns, no freeways etc etc.. as long as it gets me there and back my one weekend a month ill be good..... i really doubt id make a CA trip from TX unless this thing pulls better than im expecting and theres something in CA i just cant miss

Old 11-03-2003, 08:52 PM
99f350sd
Lead Driver

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Hope it works out well for ya..Can only try.

Quick Reply: Is towing two trailers legal in your state?