Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Peroxide has extra oxygen it contributes to burn fuel

Old 11-05-2003, 07:36 AM
71swissaqua
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need some help on this.
There are 2 ways too do the injection. Using vacuum from the carb to suck in the water through a jet or needle and using a pump to push it. The pump would be better and allow the nozzle to produce a finer mist.
How would you get the pump to speed up in relation to the engine?
I've bid on a 12 v pump on Ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=2570610054
Do you think it would work for this?
Any ideas are appreciatted
Clint

Old 11-05-2003, 09:31 AM
beartracks
Lead Driver
Received 140 Likes on 117 Posts
OK, using a pump triggered by low vacuum and proportioned with the drop in vacuum will prevent spark knock, allow more agressive timing, possibly lower octane fuel requirements and keep your combustion chambers clean. There is also a small increase in HP possible by the charge cooling effect and the release of extra oxygen from the water. This would be most beneficial to an engine with a little more compression than available fuel could satisfy.

The vapor systems that suck through a vacuum line only work under high vacuum conditions and the only benefit I see would be to keep the chambers clean.

Adding chemicals to the first system could increase HP and keep the mix from freezing in winter. It could also become a pain to maintain in my opinion.

Old 11-05-2003, 10:30 AM
71swissaqua
Elder User
Y&es but how would you set up a pump to be vacuum operated and increase flow with a derease in vacuum. In other words the pump needs to increase flow when the rpm's go up. Similar too how a vacuum advance set up works. I wonder if that could be modified to work?
Clint

Old 11-05-2003, 11:32 AM
ranchero77
Senior User
it would need some size reduction (5/8" down to 3/8" maybe)but a vacume valve for like the heater core supply could be used. I think low vacuum is its open position not sure, you would have to check. but that 90 psi pump you bid on is probrably too high.
its just another idea.

Old 11-05-2003, 03:53 PM
71swissaqua
Elder User
That's a good idea on the vacuum valve. Also, the pump is rated at 90 psi but also has an adjustable pressure relief valve too adjust the pressure. I want a fairly high pressure anyway so I can use a very fine jet too get a very fine mist of spray.
Keep the ideas coming. Need to turn the pump on at low pressure for normal cruising but have it raise the volume and pressure during higher RPM's
Clint

Old 11-06-2003, 10:45 AM
beartracks
Lead Driver
Received 140 Likes on 117 Posts
You could try a spray head from one of those mister water coolers used in the back yard. Oh yeah, also seen them at Hooters! Any way if it's too small you could drill it out a little at a time with a set of wire drill size bits.

Old 11-14-2003, 06:42 PM
Pro-Street/StateTK
Posting Guru
My high school shop teacher was selling a water injection kit that used water and rubbing alchol it was to get beter gas milage he was runing one of these kits on his old ford truck 19 years ago . Ok on your needing to control with rpms heres what im thinking NOS progressive controler . You can control how a solenoid opens with rpms you can also use NOS timers and maybe back it up with msd rpm control

Old 11-14-2003, 07:17 PM
madmurdok
Junior User
Having been an electronics technician for many years, I am wondering if you could connect a variable resistor in series with the pump, and have it operate off the accelerator? I am thinking of something like the volume control on an old radio, only heavier to handle the current of your pump - maybe something like the variable speed control from an old cordless drill? You could mount it so it would be operated by your throttle linkage - so the pump would run at a reduced speed when you arent really needing it, but speed it up when you stomp the gas! Maybe Radio Shack would have something. It would have to be heavy enough to carry your pump .... just an idle thought ...

Old 11-14-2003, 07:24 PM
71swissaqua
Elder User
Thanks Tim, that's king of inline with what i've been thinking. I was wondering if a variac would work or maybe even the innards from a gas tank sending unit but I doubt it could carry the load.
Need to be able to mount it so as the throttle could actuate it.
The MSD controllers for nos would work I'm sure but they tend to be a little pricey for me.
Ya'll keep the suggestions coming.
Clint

Old 11-16-2003, 11:52 PM
wolfen
Senior User
Howdy Gang,
I want to contribute to this Great Idea!

I started this Water Injection Idea in the Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Oil and Lubrication + it was po-po'ed there!

Looks like I found the Forum that can appreciate this link:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/framered...erformance.net

Click on Installation! Here is the ammo that is needed to get us going on this project!

I know that I'll be going all out, to invent a system that works!!

Feed back!, Feed back! Let's do this!

Last edited by wolfen; 11-17-2003 at 12:48 AM.
Old 11-17-2003, 08:29 AM
71swissaqua
Elder User
I've been kicking this idea around now for a couple years now. Just don't have the electrcal knowledge to make it work. I orderd this pump the other day thinking it might work if I have the right nozzle
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=2570610054

Now I just have too work out a way for the pump to turn vary it's output. I think it needs to vary it's output with engine rpm's. The cheaper version of the snow setup is either on or off. you have to buy the more expensive kit to get the varied output. And I think it only works with a boosted engine.
I'm more than willing to work with anybody interested in this. I believe there is alot of hidden power that can be utilized with water injection. I also believe there is alot of gas mileage that can be found
Clint

Old 11-17-2003, 10:05 AM
wolfen
Senior User
Hi 71swissaqua,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...item=2570610054
EBAY site says:
Invalid Item
The item you requested () is invalid, still pending, or no longer in our database. Please check the number and try again. If this message persists, the item has either not started and is not yet available for viewing, or has expired and is no longer available.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Check out:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/framered...performance.net
and click on installation yet?
They also talk about "boost" pressure.
It's like another language to me the way things are worded, I'm a bit confused!
I'm also alot like you in the way of the thought of this working.
I've had this in my mind for many years!
I also constructed a system w/ a bottle of water, a tiny aquarium air hose + hooked it up to one of my base vac ports on my carburated 318 that I had.
I think there was a problem w/ open throttle / low vac just like the prob that we're figuring out now.
I know now that it has to be "atomized" to be benifical!
HERE WE GO:

What if this "water injection pump" was hooked up, in direct relation to the "tachometer system"; as RPM's raise so would the pump + the vacuum issue would not be the main problem!
OK! Your turn.

Last edited by wolfen; 11-17-2003 at 10:49 AM.
Old 11-17-2003, 10:48 AM
71swissaqua
Elder User
I also constructed a system w/ a bottle of water, a tiny aquarium air hose + hooked it up to one of my base vac ports on my carburated 318 that I had.
I think there was a problem w/ open throttle / low vac just like the prob that we're figuring out now.
As you found out they don't work well that way. I think those type set-ups are the reason so many people think the water injection does'nt work. It works backwards. When you need the water the vacuum is dropping as is the water injection.
If we can work it out to where the water setup is increasing with the rpm's then we'll have it beat.
There's been suggestions of using vacuum operated switches and such that might work.
We need to find something that's readily available at the wrecking yards for cheap money. With all the relays and switches on the new cars there has to be something that can be easily addapted to our use.
Clint

Old 11-17-2003, 10:54 AM
wolfen
Senior User
Hey 71swissaqua,
HERE WE GO:

What if this "water injection pump" was hooked up, in direct relation to the "tachometer system"; as RPM's raise so would the pump + the vacuum issue would not be the main problem!

Another idea of pump activation: A older carb'ed motor EGR valve; high venturi vac, EGR advances or is that the distributor vac timing advance...or both?
Well??
YEEEEES! Just got a call for an Electromechanical Tech / Assembler position. My field of work...finally!
I'll be back to play later! Gone but not long!
wolfen-joe

Last edited by wolfen; 11-17-2003 at 11:42 AM.

Quick Reply: Water injection