Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

mass air conversion

Old 10-29-2003, 06:28 PM
fordman_in_nv
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mass air conversion

I have a 88 bronco with a 351 and a c-6. It has 250,000 miles on it I'm getting ready to drop in a new motor and I wana go all out.
Right now its got the speed density setup and I wanted to know how hard it would be to switch to mass air. I think I can use my computer but I'm not positive any info will help thanks

Old 10-29-2003, 10:24 PM
tite4x4
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mass air conversion

Converting over to MAF was very easy. I have a '90 with the 5.8L and the E4OD tranny that I had converted. Noticed a big difference right off the bat. I have to keep picking my head up from the back seat. But consider I also have Edelbrock throttle body and intake manifolds, Bored .30 over, and whole bunch of other goodies.

Check out ProM racing at http://pro-flow.com/ They have everthing that you would need. New computer, Mass Air Meter, filter, O2 sensor, Two o2 bungs, and wiring harness for injectors and both o2 sensors and mas air meter. This is where I got my conversion kit. It is not cheap, though, but worth it. It's cheaper to get the parts from doner rig in a wrecking yard, but much more of a head ache to convert.

Hope this helps

Old 10-29-2003, 10:29 PM
mrit
Senior User
I think the the cheapest/easiest thing to do would be to would be to find a wrecked mustang/bronco whatever with MAF and take all the sensors, wiring, whatever.

Old 10-30-2003, 01:33 AM
NJbronco138
Senior User
tite4x4, did that place have a harness for the e4od or di dyou have to get one somwhere else? I would like to switch to mass air but having the e4od is holding it up.

Old 10-30-2003, 08:47 PM
tite4x4
Senior User
Yes. Everything was provided in the conversion kit. After the install of the mass air flow conversion, not only did I notice more horsepower, but the tranny seems to shift a lot firmer and quicker. I wish I would have taken some pics of some of the installation. The only thing that really makes this kit noticable, and not stock, is the mass air meter/filter and the Aluminum box right next to it, and the way it is all mounted.

In the kit there is a junction box that the stock wiring harness plugs into, and then has wiring for both computers. The stock computer stays in its place and ends up just controlling the tranny, once everything is setup. The new second computer, you could mount almost any where in the engine compartment, which just controlls the engine stuff. After the install of the kit you would end up with two computer, two O2 sensors, a mass air meter, a new filter, a junction box that ties the origanal wiring harness and both computer and new wiring for injectors and air meter. Also included in the kit is an aluminum box for the new computer, to help keep it weather tight.

For those of you who don't have the E4OD or any computer controlled trannies, you will only have the one computer to worry about, which controls the engine, not two. There is a different but similer kit for these types (like the C6 or AOD) of trannies.

Hope this helps

Old 10-30-2003, 09:40 PM
NJbronco138
Senior User
thanks I called them up and thats what they told me too. They said its aorund 1300 bucks. How hard was it to install? You said you have 2 O2 sensors? I thought mass air had 3. I think I want to get this kit. but now i will have to figure out what i want to go about it. I want the bassani y pipe so it would be better to get teh mass air one instead of welding in bungs later or is that not a big deal? Or maybe get he mass air one and jsut plug up the holes with the sensors i will use with the mass air

Old 10-30-2003, 11:14 PM
tite4x4
Senior User
1300 bucks, huh? They must have dropped thier price in the last 6 months. The installation was not too hard at all. The instructions that come with the kit are very thurough. Not only that, thier tech line is very helpfull. It seemed to me that they will do anything to help out, when needed. For me, the hardest part was trying to mount the Mass Air meter and filter. I had installed an air compressor right where the windshield washer/radiator over flow reservoir/s normally mounts. And the fact that I had already got rid of the stock air filter box, due to a previous install of K&N filter kit.

In the mass air setup there are only two O2 sensors. That is why thier conversion kit comes with an O2 sensor, wiring for the second O2 sensor, and two bungs to be welded into exhaust pipe just below where they bolt up to the headers. I read somewhere that the O2 snesors have to be mounted no more than 18" from the heads. I have Heddman headers, which did not have the bung holes built into them. I am not sur about the Bassini's setup. They might have the bungs mounted into either thier headers or the pipes. Call them up and find out

Before I accually installed the mass air conversion kit, I grabbed the two O2 bungs that were supplied with the kit, and drove to a local muffler shop and had them weld in the two bungs. When I got home, I then proceeded to install the rest of the kit. First I moved the origanal O2 sensor up to the passenger side new location. Then plugged the old hole up with an allen set screw. The new O2 sensor, which was supplied with the kit, was then mounted into the drivers side location, in the exhaust pipe.

Also, when and if you do order the conversion kit, make sure you stress to them that you have the E4OD tranny. They have several kits for the Broncos. One is for the NON-E4OD and the other is WITH - E4OD. I only say this because when they shiped my kit to me, they mis read the order. But they emmedeately took care of the problem and resolved the issue, with no questions asked.

Hope this helps

Old 10-30-2003, 11:26 PM
NJbronco138
Senior User
thanks that doesn't sound to bad. I will look into the O2 sensor set up. I just want to make sure I can do this all in one shot in my driveway. So both sensors have are mounted in the Y pipe right before they bolt to the headers?

Old 10-30-2003, 11:28 PM
AYoungblood
Elder User
That pro-flow is right by my house!

Sweet I might have to drop by there and check them out.

Adam

Old 10-30-2003, 11:30 PM
NJbronco138
Senior User
i just checked the bassani y pipe is has 3 O2 bungs. I wonder why the pro flow kit only has two

Old 10-31-2003, 11:06 AM
tite4x4
Senior User
Hey NJbronco138

I just realized the posibility of why the bassani's have 3 O2 bungs. It most likely is for mounting into a wide range of rigs. On the rigs that only have and only require one O2 sensor(which would be mounted in between the two other spare bungs), then the two spare bungs would be plugged with allen set screw. And in the case like my rig and others that requires two O2 sensors, which are mounted in where they would have been plugged, and then the spare single bung would be plugged.

Also, when you start the install just be patient and take your time. If you need help let me know. One of the only wiring mods that would take some time, because of space, there are 3 inline fuse links that is spliced into 3 different power wires in the stock wiring harness next to connector to the stock computer. I'll try to take some pics of my setup. I've been kinda busy myself. I am about to replace my transfer case = Atlas II & Klune-v.

Hope this helps

Old 10-31-2003, 04:04 PM
NJbronco138
Senior User
yeah it does. I want to get mass air, but right now my truck needs other things and i dont' have a tone of money. I want to see if i can replace the parts as needed so that in the future i can add on other parts without to much of a problem or having ot buy something else. I need an exhaust soon and I am kind of set on a bassani set up, but i don't want to buy a Speed density one and then have to weld in bungs if thats not the best way or buy a mass air one and find our that the bungs aren't in the right spot. I think maybe what I should do it the headers and cat back then do the y pipe last and see what i need then. Any pictures you have of your set up will would be great.

Old 10-31-2003, 10:44 PM
restorit
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
To throw in another possibility, you may want to check with Ford Racing Performance Parts (FRPP). I know they list several kits in my [1999] catalog, and they may offer one for your application. The M9000-T50 shows for '87 - '95 F-Series / Bronco 5.0L manual trans., M9000-T51 for '87 - '95 F-Series / Bronco 5.0L AOD automatic, and the M9000-L58 for the '93 - '95 Lightning 5.8L E4OD tranny. Maybe, by now, they offer more applications or maybe one of the kits could be made to work for your truck. I shopped around, and was able to pick up the M9000-T50 kit for $629.00. It came with the airbox lid and Y-adapter, the overlay (fuel injector) harness, a "sandwich" adapter that installs between the computer and the factory EEC IV plug, the mass air sensor, and a '93 Mustang sequential EFI computer. Although I installed this on an '85 302EFI, and found it necessary to change over to an '87 - '93 airbox setup, wire in a HEGO sensor to replace my '85's EGO, and make a couple of pin changes at the EEC, the installation could not have been any more straightforward. The adapter (at the EEC) handles the routing of the wires to sequentially fire the injectors, and it also allows the use of a single HEGO sensor. You can go the route of wiring up a Mustang-type mass air system, or you can use the kit designed by Ford to make use of as much of your truck's existing wiring as possible. If you can find a kit to work, and you're okay with using the single HEGO as opposed to the more accurate setup of having two, the FRPP kit is about as painless as it gets. Just passing this on if you hadn't considered it.

Old 11-07-2003, 02:21 PM
tite4x4
Senior User
Before I purchased my kit from Pro-Flow = Pro-M racing, I checked with Ford Racing. Granted they do have several kits available. But The only one available that comes close to the one I needed for the 5.8L engine and E4OD Tranny was the one based on the '93 ford lightning. The conversion kits for the mustangs would not have worked, because of the tranny and the fact that most of the Mustangs did not come with the 5.8L engine and the firing order might be different. There is two firing orders to consider that I know of, what they are I don't remember exactly.

Some of those kits Suggested by the last posting would most likely work on the all the Broncos that did not come with the E4OD trannies. The last time I checked with Ford, the M9000-L58 conversion kit for the '93 - '95 Lightning 5.8L E4OD tranny, would not have worked. I called Ford about it, since this kit was the closest match to my Bronco with 5.8L + E4OD set up, and they said it wouldn't work with the Bronco. When I asked why, they couldn't tell me why. They pretty much gave me the run around. So I decided to go with Pro-M Racing, granted I had to pay a little more for this kit, but I believe it was worth it with the quality of service that I had received.

Old 11-08-2003, 10:16 AM
restorit
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
At least you got something that you knew would work. In trying to make the '87 - '93 kit work on my '85, one tech at FRPP told me that it wouldn't work, period, while another told me it could work with some mods (but he didn't know which ones). He did refer me over to Pro-M. I played phone tag with them once or twice (nothing against them, especially when I'm just calling to ask technical questions), and ended up ordering the FRPP kit. Since it was non-returnable, and I had a newly rebuilt engine that wasn't running right, I just saw it as something I had to make work, one way or another. You could have probably made the Lightning kit work, but who knows? It may have turned into more headaches than it was worth. I can't say I blame you for going with a sure thing.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: mass air conversion