1961 - 1963 F100 Unibody 1961, 1962 and 1963 Ford F100 Unibody trucks

Old Unibody Ford?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2003, 09:52 PM
Rug_Trucker
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old Unibody Ford?

I came across a Ford Unibody truck this weekend. I was wondering where I could find more info as these are probably not that common. I have only seen 3 in my travels.

Thanks in advance!
Walter

Old 10-28-2003, 10:35 PM
adunham
Senior User
Hi Walter -

Made 1961-1963, some shortbed, some longbed, tailgates are rare, standard rear bumpers are rare, some with small rear window, some with big rear window, Ford supposedly terminated them because they had problems but I'm not really sure what they were, not really sure of production numbers, either. I guess I don't know too much. If cobraguy responds, I think he'll know a lot more.

-aaron

Old 10-28-2003, 11:04 PM
LxMan1

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
From looking thru the galleries at 61-63's, they are alot mor common than the non unibody.I have a standard nonunibody 63. These are hard to find in a styleside. Mine uses a 59-60 bed and it took forever to find a decent tailgate for it.
Jimmy

Old 10-29-2003, 07:35 AM
Rug_Trucker
New User
I wonder now if it has a tailgate. It didn't have any rust from what I recall. I was thinking of buying it to resell. I hate to see anything like that go to waste. I used to drive a 62 long bed 3/4 ton. It was affectionately called the "Green Monster" built like a tank!

Old 10-29-2003, 09:01 PM
cobraguy
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the plug aaron but I'm not the most versed in unibodies. Here's the short version of what I know. Unibodies were more common from 61-63 than any other model. Doors are different from a standard cabs. Front sheet metal is same through 66. Y block or 223 were your engine choices. Three spd, Granny 4spd, or cruiseOmatic for trannys. 9" with 370-411 gears for the rear end. Tailgates if they're there are almost always rusted out. The cab rusts over the drip rails, floor, front cab mounts and core support.

Old 10-29-2003, 09:11 PM
Rug_Trucker
New User
Any websites with info on these trucks? I searched last night didn't get squat. I was hoping to find an article or two. Production numbers?

Old 10-29-2003, 11:54 PM
cobraguy
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your on the BEST ford truck website I've ever found. Try a search within this site I've seen production #s posted in this forum but never really paid much attention to them. The fact is there were alot of trucks produced from 61-63 most being unibodies. My feeling is more have been scrapped than survive. There are still many aruond you just have to look for them. Most of the ones I know about are not on the road and would barely qualify as parts trucks. Good luck and have fun with your truck, Rich.

Old 11-02-2003, 02:43 AM
VintageBlueOval
Freshman User
Hey Walter,

I'm up to my ears in my 62 unibody shortbed project and it needed just about everything. Let me tell you what I learned. Sheetmetal is definitely hard to find. Non-unibody 61-64s share fenders, hoods, windshields and small window rear glass, dash parts and all mechanical pieces. Doors are specific to Unibodys, hoods and fenders interchange from 61-66. Core supports, upper grille panels and inner fenderwells are specific to non twin I-beam models (pre 65). Tailgates and taillights are 61-63 Unibody only. 65-66 twin I-beam trucks have different frames, floorboards, underhood sheetmetal, suspension & steering, powertrain mounting hardware and heating & A/C parts. If you're really getting down the resto stuff, wheels are 61-63 specific for the inner-snap hubcaps, mirrors and door glass are unibody specific as well. Although I managed to save mine, 61-66 fuel tanks appear the same. Door handles will swap from 61-66, but spring loaded upper door hinges from a 65-66 do not swap to a unibody (ask me how I found that one out) Most of the cool "Custom Cab" trim stuff from a 65-66 will bolt right up, from the door panels and zipper pockets, to the chrome door handle bezels to the super cool stainless dash inserts.

The hardest stuff to find in my experience is a straight and rust free hood, tailgates, big window glass and trim, and factory rear bumpers. Even non twin I beam stuff is getting scarce in the SoCal boneyards, and Unibody stuff in near extinct. Every other week for 2 years I have hit 8 self-serve boneyards over a 150 mile radius in SoCal and I have only seen 7 Unibodys. All but 1 were total junk. I nabbed the doors and tailgate from the decent one. That was the best $80 I have spent on that truck.

Lookout for rust in the drip rails, the tailgate, the leading edge of the hood and in the cab to frame mounts, just under the firewall. Floorboards and the lower half of core supports tend to get pretty rusty too.

Anyhow, If you have any questions... Im a huge Unibody enthusiast, let me know if I can help!!

Thanks!

T.J.

Old 11-02-2003, 09:17 AM
Rug_Trucker
New User
I bought a car from this guy and saw the unibody. I am really looking into buying it for resale. Wish I could buy the entire place! So much good iron there. Camaros Chevelles, Mustangs, Comets, various AMC's and Mopars. I am trying to get a handle on the value so I don't pay too much for it. I hope I am going back next week to pick up my car. I think that Ford has always built the best looking trucks. Need to finish a Duster project and get my 77 F150 back on the road.

Old 11-05-2003, 08:53 PM
Daddywags
Senior User
I got a bit confused.....I thought 61-63's were all unibodies. Are you saying some are not, and if so, how can I tell if my '62 stepside is (or isn't?) I have some body and suspension parts of a '64 that seem to be interchangeable. Haven't started tearing into my truck yet, have to get a space heater in my garage soon.

Old 11-05-2003, 10:16 PM
Rug_Trucker
New User
The bed and the boby are one and the same. No gap between the bed and cap like a regular pickup.

Old 11-06-2003, 05:24 PM
70snake
New User
I hate to let a good opportunity to sell something slip by, so while we're talking uni's I'll hawk mine to you. It's listed on this site in the for sale ads, but i'd really like to move her. She's a '61 unibody short bed , w/ the big rear window, solid t/gate and factory "smooth" bumpers. No engine or trans, set up for 390-428. I definitely agree that the t/gates for these things are very hard to find. BTW has anybody ever tried to install integral steering on one of these? How 'bout an axle over spring drop?, the backs a breeze, but will the steering arm interfere in front once the axle is on top of the spring? Just thought I'd ask since if I dont sell her, I'm definitely going to rod her.
1981 fairmont
1991 explorer
1982 F150
1961 F100 unibody

Old 11-06-2003, 07:56 PM
Rug_Trucker
New User
Whatever the brand I enjoy any unique vehicle. Just won't find a Bowtie with my name on it! I don't have the time or place to redo a truckright now. I do recognize it as a unique piece of history. I got a wife to get rid of first. Our "gears" don't mesh.

Old 11-11-2003, 01:23 AM
90ebbronc
Elder User
The unibody is a very unique truck. I had a 61 unibody with the 223 straight 6, everything was original, even down to the tailgate and the rolled rear bumper. It had the big back window, and the three speed on the tree. It was originally blue with i believe a white top, but whomever had it before me painted it all white with blue interior. The hub caps were even original down to the inner snap baby moons and beauty rings. Very fun truck to drive, even with the 20 inch steering wheel. I drove it every day and it finally started blowing the oil cap off everytime i started it. I ended up selling it for 600 dollars.
I say if u find a unibody, buy it. I kick myself in the butt everyday for selling that truck. I was a young dumb 18 yr old and sold it in 98. Won five third place trophies at local car shows. Everyone please give me a round of a kick for selling that truck.
As far as parts, good luck finding them. As the other gentlemen here have said, tailgates and hoods and just about everything else for these trucks are very very rare to find in good usable condition. So grab what u can and hold on to it, including the truck.

Old 11-17-2003, 10:56 PM
AtypclEngr
Freshman User
Talking Adventure!

I must admit that I bought a 1963 F250 this weekend - unibody - that is in amazing condition. Tailgate, bed, windows and all... 96,000 miles on the original 292 engine. Actually, my wife bought it on EBay for me while I was out of town. $1600 !! Running and in excellent shape... until I tried to drive the poor baby all the way from Baton Rouge back to Huntsville, Alabama. It started and sounded fantastic. Fluids, everything... I'll know better next time. I threw a rod or rocker arm only about 15 miles out of BR, but I don't care, the body is worth more than $1600 without an engine, and I'll fix her up. I'm having it shipped up next week. The only original part missing is the rear bumper which was beefed up for towing. I plan to paint her up pretty in original Corinthian white with red trim, find a classic camper to match that I can show her with and take up into the Smokies once in a while. However, rebuilding a 292 will be a new experience for me. I'll appreciate any help y'all can give me.

Eric

Quick Reply: Old Unibody Ford?