1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Where to start....looking at pre-73 Ford truck

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2003, 10:43 AM
fordsforever
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Where to start....looking at pre-73 Ford truck

I live in California, so I'm looking at pre-73 or 73 Ford trucks. I don't need 4x4, but do want an automatic. I like the 70's as far as getting the 351W. But the earlier ones are fine (maybe with a 390 or something.)

Do they use the C-6 tranny?

How much should I be looking to spend if I get one that runs well as is. I know this is vague, Can have the typical rust in the bed, needs work interior wise, engine wise.

Also, what options were available.....did they come with AC, etc..

Sorry for the general questions here, but I don't know where to start with this stuff.

(Also, which years (pre-73) are good for finding aftermarket parts. Do you guys have people making reproduction stuff like the mustangs do?)

Old 11-24-2003, 11:07 AM
user 5363849
Mountain Pass
Why only 73 or pre 73? It's only a month or so to 2004!

Another question is do you need more than half ton? Brakes/wheel bearings and suspension become more challenging on the 250 and 350 models.

Consider whether you want a long bed or not. I put on a bed tool box so the fact that I have a long bed gives me a lot of bed space inspite of the tool box. And I still have the convenience and security of a trunk. Especially considering that I have a tank behind the seat.

I got a half ton long wheel base because I knew I wanted to haul a lot, but nothing really heavy and be able to tow large loads, hence my 390 with an automatic.

Last edited by user 5363849; 11-24-2003 at 11:13 AM.
Old 11-24-2003, 12:35 PM
BB
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You're not gonna find a 351W in our year trucks unless someone put it there.

Barry

Old 11-24-2003, 01:16 PM
fordsforever
New User
I understand the rolling 30 year smog exemption....but I really don't think that law will stand the test of time. It's a only a matter of time before the liberals yank that out from under us. So I'll stick with 73 and below for now.

As far as the size.. I do want a long bed, and I don't need more than a 1/2 ton. I will probably be doing stuff with my house, so I needed something that I could just throw whatever in the bed and not worry about it damaging anything.

The only problem with my search for ones for sale so far is that I could only find them in the "classic" sections. For example on http://www.collectorcartradernline.com

I really don't want to find one at a place like that, because they might as well call it www.CarsThatAreCollectibleSoExpectToPayALot.com

if you know what I mean.
I might just start driving around locally and checking things out.

So the windsor came in 73+ then? What about the brakes. Do they have front disc, rear drum? I hate to ask all these questions, maybe there is a site that shows what options were available for each year?

Thanks again

Old 11-24-2003, 02:05 PM
rrawlins
Senior User
There are a number of sites that might help fordsforever. Try "bumpsides.com" and "Johnsf100s.com". I'm sure as the day wears on you'll get more action on your post. Also this site has an excellent search facility if you have specific questions. I've absolutely had the best results by putting "wanted" ads in the local buysells. I've scored amazing deals from people who are not motivated to put a sell ad in but sure respond to wanted ads. I keep my ad's fairly general. I've found that a lot of people have no idea what they have. Try something like "Wanted older ford truck in good condition. Must be running" You'll have to sort out some of the squirrels that respond, but all it takes is that one phonecall! Some of the sites I listed carry the actual Ford brochures so you'll be able to see the options listed for each year.

As for aftermarket parts you can find just about anything for these rigs. Check out the Parts Shop button at the top right of the screen, dennis carpenter has an awesome free catalogue and there are a number of other vendors out there as well.

How much are you going to pay for a quality ride? I paid $400 for my rig. I've put a lot of work into it but total investment to date, including buying the truck is about $1200. A lot of guys on this site picked up their rides for free, so anything from $0 - $1500 will get you started.

Last edited by rrawlins; 11-24-2003 at 02:19 PM.
Old 11-24-2003, 02:26 PM
b_dub
Senior User
try
cars.com

I found my 68 F250 w/ C-6 locally along w/ 4 or 5 others I could have looked at.
the site has a really good search feature for models, years and price ranges.

Old 11-24-2003, 02:45 PM
SFC DAVIS
Senior User
look in back yards.. make offers. these trucks are around if you look. I'd suggest you stay with the 67-72 model though.

Old 11-24-2003, 03:28 PM
Jackflack
Senior User
Where do you live in California? Have you tried Craigslist?

Old 11-24-2003, 06:08 PM
willowbilly3
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I see quite a few on ebay in california and oregon and they are mostly rust free and reasonably priced.