No Low beam Headlights, 95 Explorer Lmtd

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2003, 02:58 PM
exlmtd
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No Low beam Headlights, 95 Explorer Lmtd

It all started with the driver side low beam head light, it didn't work. I thought it was the bulb, or a fuse. After veryfing that the bulb and the fuses were ok. I noticed that it only worked in high beam.

I bridge a wire from the -working passenger side- low beam wire, to the driver side low beam wire. It worked, -even though the center console complained to check my lights. After a while the passenger side low beam stopped working too.

Now I've been driving in highbeams all the time and I want to see if some one can help me troubleshoot this.

Again, bulbs are fine, and so are the fuses. One fuse box I found in the driver side dashboard and the other driver side motor compartment.

Is there something I'm missing to check?

Thanks

Ed

Old 11-11-2003, 07:29 PM
noproblem
New User
Does your truck have a combo switch for turning lights on? You pull or push for high beams? This is a multi function switch and I have had some of the same troubles as you. It was the switch.

96 F150 XLT

Old 11-11-2003, 07:41 PM
bosshoss
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would look at replaceing the multifunction switch, or the dimmer turn signal wiper switch as most folks call it. A 95 model, its about due for one.

Old 11-12-2003, 07:36 PM
exlmtd
Freshman User
In my truck I have an automatic light switch that is set on the rear view mirror. On the front panel there is a switch wheel **** to turn head lights, parking lights and so on.. I normally leave this off and just let the lights come on automatically. On the steering column I have a handle to turn the high low beams, winshield wipers, etc.

am I still looking at replacing the multifunction switch?

Ed

Old 11-13-2003, 11:25 AM
noproblem
New User
This is your problem, I am sure. That multi function switch controls so many things that you can get crazy symptoms. I had the headlights go out as you were going down the road. I would have to giggle the multi function to get them to come back on. The multi function is the switch that controls the wipers, high beam, washers, and passing high beams. Sorry I did not make myself clear on the first post; thanks to Dave for his input. That switch cost me around $ 69.00+. It is a Ford item only of course. Good luck.

96 F-150 XLT

Old 11-15-2003, 10:37 PM
exlmtd
Freshman User
And still no low beam lights.

I bought a multi-function swtich and replaced it, but the procedure did not solved my problem.

Any other thoughts?, I heard some spoke about a ECM or something like that, could that be my problem?, how does one get that part checked for a malfunciton?

Any thoughts would be of course welcome

Ed

Old 11-16-2003, 08:46 AM
noproblem
New User
Have you tried turning the lights on without using the automatic switch? In other words using the lights as if you did not have the auto switch on the mirror at all. I have the ALLDATA repair program on my computer and I will see where the lighting system wiring runs and what it controls. If I can find anything I will let you know. I need your engine size and 2wd or 4wd and anything else that you can give me; super cab, club cab, etc. We can't put email addresses in these posts so we will have to work it out if I come across anything. Would the wiring diagram help you any? ALLDATA is professional repair program; not like Chilton/Hayes.

Jim 96 F-150 XLT

Old 11-16-2003, 01:19 PM
exlmtd
Freshman User
First I want to thank you for all your replies. As for your suggestion of just using the light switch without going through the auto switch, it has yield the same results; no low beam out of the head lights.

I read somewhere in a thread here, that I may need to check on the Lamp Out Module (LOM). I'm curious if your AllData repair program has anything on this.

My truck is a 95 Explorer Limited with 4x4, 4 door and a 6 cylinder 4.0 engine.

Again I appriciate your help

Ed

Old 11-16-2003, 07:22 PM
noproblem
New User
I will check to see if the LOM is in anyway connected to the circuits involved with the headlights that could cause that problem. If you ever go the eBay auction site look up seller nop1950, that's me. We may be able to contact better that way, don't know. I don't have to pay long dis. phone bills either so maybe we can do it that way. If I can copy the wiring diagrams for the lighting system are you able to descipher them?

96 F 150XLT

Old 11-17-2003, 09:25 PM
noproblem
New User
Hi Ed, I looked at the LOM section and it does have a lot to do with the low beams in different ways. The LOM connector can be checked to see what is working or not. It looks like it has a message indicator that should tell you the switch is bad. I wish I could send you the diagrams. You can't send emails but see if you can figure this out. My name is "jimkim" ^ and I live at excite.com. If it won''t show up it was removed. I don't mean to make mod upset.

Jim 96 F 150

Old 11-17-2003, 10:17 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,678 Likes on 1,356 Posts
If you guys want to contact each other, click on the little blue "profile" in the lower part of the post, and exchange email addresses that way. Go to the "site announcment" forum, and there is an explanation about how the webmaster is trying to protect you from spammers who look for email addresses in posts.

Old 11-18-2003, 08:54 AM
noproblem
New User
Thanks Dave, I knew the reason was to protect us from unwanted emails and just didn't know the proper way to do it. I hope I did not cause any trouble by trying it before. This forum is one of the best I have come across and do not want to upset the apple cart. Thank you for the help in the proper way to contact this member.

Jim 96 F 150 XLT

Old 11-19-2003, 04:49 PM
CC77
New User
Wow, the Internet is truly a magical thing!

I just spent half a day trying to fix the same EXACT problem, on the same EXACT truck as exlmtd. I found this place after searching the web for what I thought was the problem - the "Lamp Out Warning Module."

I also have a 95 Explorer - Limited, and I've been driving on high beams for about a year. I finally decided to try and fix the problem today, and after exhausting every conceivable option, I figured it must be the Lamp Out thing.

So my question is; where is it, and how can I test it? I traced the wires as best I could, checked fuses, relays, and the switch, and after studying the Hayes Manual for about an hour, decided that the only thing between power and low beams that could be doing this is the Lamp Out Module.

Just like exlmtd, I also use the auto headlight option from the rear view mirror. So my switch is always in the off position (though I have tested it without the auto headlights by turning the switch, with the same results). High beams work great, as do the flashing high beams (is that what they're called?) when you pull the lever back towards you. The only difference between him and me is that in all this time, the center console has never acknowledged that there was a problem with the lights. System check just says, "lights ok if on." Gee, thanks.

Please someone help. Where is this dreaded Lamp Out Warning Module? And how can I test it? Thank you so much!

Old 11-19-2003, 07:50 PM
noproblem
New User
Hi, well Ed finally fixed his problem; it was the LOM after all. The LOM is located in the instrument panel; connector 2010. The only picture I could find was a full body view and you could not tell where is was even by looking where it said it was. This view was what Alldata provided to find the location for the LOM. It looks like it is just about in the middle of the instrument panel right straight down from the rear view mirror. I can't email you a picture because you can't put emails in the replies( keeps spammers from using them). Besides it would not help you; I was right on top of the picture and couldn't find it exactly. I would call the dealership and ask them where it was exactly and replace it yourself. I hope I have helped a little.

96 F 150 XLT

Old 11-19-2003, 08:04 PM
CC77
New User
Hi noproblem,

Thanks a lot for the reply! I guess I'll try and look around the area you said before I try the dealer. From what you describe, I imagine it being behind the radio or center console? It's worth a shot I suppose. Anything to avoid the dealer and their excessive charges. Which brings me to my next questions;

1. Does anyone know how much this piece will cost? How much did Ed pay, if you know? Did they charge labor or did he get the piece and do it himself?

2. Since it seems like this is not a isolated incident (several people with the same problem?), and this really is quite a safety issue (no headlights!), shouldn't this be covered by some sort of recall? I don't think exlmtd and I are the only ones with this problem. I think maybe Ford made a boo boo when they designed this module.

Thanks again for your help and any other info you can provide. I appreciate it!

Quick Reply: No Low beam Headlights, 95 Explorer Lmtd