2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Overdrive vs Drive

Old 05-30-2007, 12:31 PM
Roller1
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I honestly wouldnt go to this tranny shop because thats not true about needing to turn your OD off on take off then putting it back on when up to speed. Thats just dumb. OD has nothing to do with taking off from a start its so there is no need to turn it off. You only need to turn it off or should turn it off if the tranny is hunting gears. Read the owners book. A Honda Civic can pull a pop-up camper so why this tranny shop is telling someone to turn their OD off to pull from a start is not up to speed with transmissions. Their facts are not right. No need to get mad about someone telling you whats right and wrong.

Old 05-30-2007, 12:36 PM
irishammer
Senior User
I would assume he says that because heat is what destroy's the tranny. When OD is on the shift is much slower allowing slippage resulting in excess heat. I am not a transmission expert by any stretch! Like I said a while back it is his truck DO WHAT HE WANTS.

Old 05-30-2007, 01:12 PM
KevinM
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Irishammer - No one ripped you -, but since you think my comment is ignorant it seems that title goes to you since believe what the transmission shop told you. Lets not get into intelligence because for whatever reason, you seem to have a hard time explaining yourself!

Since you seem to think there is ignorance on my part understanding your explaination, "turnig off OD will keep the trans from overheating", yet it doesn't start in OD! So explain to me your logic and the transmission shops logic. If it doesn't start in OD and OD is a true 4th gear, please explain to me how OD even comes into the equation on startup?
Changing from overdrive to another gear under a gear shift is no different than any other shift. OD is 4th gear!

Your transmission shop is grossly mis-informed, because I am sure they are one of those who thinks E4OD considers a locked up torque convertor as OD,which it is not!
The E4OD is a true 4 speed with 4th being overdrive in additon to a locked up torque convertor.
Here are the gear ratios for the E4OD
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width=640 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=220>1st 2.71, 2nd 1.53, 3rd 1.00 4th 0.67</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left width=420><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=420 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left width=70></TD><TD vAlign=top align=left width=70></TD><TD vAlign=top align=left width=70></TD><TD vAlign=top align=left width=70></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

I'd venture to say your brothers OD went out because it was hunting all the time when under tow, and had nothing to do with startup!

So I agree with others this repair shop is not as technically savy as you think!

It was not I who ripped you but it sure seems you had no quam about throwing out your verble rips!

Old 05-30-2007, 03:18 PM
Steve91
Senior User
I am not a transmission expert by any stretch!
Right. So don't belittle those of us who DO understand how they work.

Old 05-30-2007, 04:57 PM
wlgoble
Junior User
Call me mr obvious, but my truck appears to have five forward speeds. If you stop and take off (keep your eye on the tach), it will shift four additional times. If i press the OD OFF button it only goes into four gears(shift 3 more times after take-off). Does OD OFF lockout 4th gear or does it lockout the tourque-up. Sorry if you guys already explained this, I just didnt get it if you did.

Old 05-31-2007, 01:31 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
only have 4 gears

the "5"th gear you are seeing is the torque converter lockup. happens about 40 mph and 60 mph right? and only when your pretty much only using enough throttle to maintain speed and are no longer accelerating?

oh, and irishammer, get your facts straight and quit repeating something you heard 3rd hand. and FWIW, I can build a racing transmission myself and slap a sticker on it...doesn't mean it was done professinally or well. but it has a pretty sticker and someone will swear that it's built with the best of 'em.

Old 05-31-2007, 12:16 PM
irishammer
Senior User
Tylus..my facts are straight...I am positive you were not there when the conversation took place. I have only given my opinion..as I stated I am not an expert and I am quite sure you aren't either. If you feel the need to beat your chest and flame me go for it. I am done with this thread.

Old 06-01-2007, 01:50 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
it's not flaming when someone calls you out for passing bad information. especially when the drivel isn't worth the kb's of cyberspace it has consumed.

now if I called you a pretentious moron who doesn't know his head from his a**...but I didn't.

begone foul demon

Old 06-17-2007, 01:41 AM
lt1pwr94
New User
Originally Posted by irishammer
I assumed you were intelligent enough to figure out that when I said start out in OD you would know what I meant. Obviously NOT!! Of course it doesn't start out in 4th gear!! My cousin's transmission on his 1994 F-250 with the E4OD lost overdrive. The transmission repair shop told him to disable (Push the button on the shifter...for those that need explicit instructions) while taking off from a stop while towing even a pop-up. He said after you are up to speed turn OD back on and go. They are a reputable repair shop not some backwoods repair shop. The build racing transmissions for off-road trucks and drag cars. They know what they are doing. If the new tranny's are different so be it...I guess some people feel better about themselves by ripping on others. If that is how you are go for it.

I'm still trying to figure out how selecting the overdrive off during take off would make any differance in tranny temp...or anything else for that matter, all you are doing is telling the computer not to shift into 4th gear.

Just for the record, I always tow in overdrive unless the transmission starts to hunt or start running O/D with the torque converter unlocked, then I shift out of overdrive.

Old 06-17-2007, 05:56 AM
Cuisinart
Senior User
Wow, this is a VERY old thread that got a little nasty... :P

Old 06-17-2007, 03:07 PM
johntucker09
Elder User
/\ yes it has, lol...

but I will have to include my 2 cents since I've read all four pages or so...

If you have something hooked up to the truck, lock out OD, if you are in the hills and it is constantly downshifting, lock out OD, if its not hunting, the leave it in OD...

Old 06-27-2007, 03:25 PM
kbheston
New User
My '04 Supercrew started the "slip/clunk" at 30,001 miles. Yeah, go figure. I've found something interesting and thought it worth mentioning here. Disengaging the OD stops the "slip/clunk" entirely. Enable the OD and it's back instantly. Cruising along, let off the gas, get back on the gas and "slip/ BANG". With the OD disabled, doesn't do it! This made me pay close attention to other aspects of OD. With OD enabled, I see that OD engages as it should when proper cruising speed is attained. What I find odd is that OD does not disengage as you slow down, way down. For example, with OD enabled, I can watch the Tach as I slow down to 20 miles an hour or so, push the disable OD button and watch the RPM's jump up and feel the transmission slow the truck. I find that an odd design. With OD enabled, after reaching cruising speed then slowing, I notice that the truck is much harder to stop and requires more braking as the OD makes the truck roll faster on it's own at slow speeds. With OD disabled, I have found the truck to be much easier to drive in stop and go traffic. All said, with the "slip/clunk" with OD enabled, I'm now disabling the OD until I am close to reaching a speed that warrants it and disabling it for stop and go traffic. And... praying that the on/off switch can take the "more than usual" use. All around, I'd call this a design flaw. Any comments?

Old 06-27-2007, 03:31 PM
kbheston
New User
My '04 Supercrew started the "slip/clunk" at 30,001 miles. Yeah, go figure. I've found something interesting and thought it worth mentioning here. Disengaging the OD stops the "slip/clunk" entirely. Enable the OD and it's back instantly. Cruising along, let off the gas, get back on the gas and "slip/ BANG". With the OD disabled, doesn't do it! This made me pay close attention to other aspects of OD. With OD enabled, I see that OD engages as it should when proper cruising speed is attained. What I find odd is that OD does not disengage as you slow down, way down. For example, with OD enabled, I can watch the Tach as I slow down to 20 miles an hour or so, push the disable OD button and watch the RPM's jump up and feel the transmission slow the truck. I find that an odd design. With OD enabled, after reaching cruising speed then slowing, I notice that the truck is much harder to stop and requires more braking as the OD makes the truck roll faster on it's own at slow speeds. With OD disabled, I have found the truck to be much easier to drive in stop and go traffic. All said, with the "slip/clunk" with OD enabled, I'm now disabling the OD until I am close to reaching a speed that warrants it and disabling it for stop and go traffic. And... praying that the on/off switch can take the "more than usual" use. All around, I'd call this a design flaw. Any comments?

Old 06-27-2007, 03:32 PM
KevinM
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The clunk being more pronounced with OD on makes a lot of sense. You have wear in the drive trian somewhere. I suspect the slip yoke. Since OD is exaclty that an overdrive which is a reduction, and will show up more drive train slop.

I suggest you get the drive train serviced.