removing/installing headers

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2003, 06:57 PM
84_F-250_7.5L
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question removing/installing headers

My 84 F-250 has a 460 with headers on it now. They are rusting out underneath where they bolt to the exhaust pipes and need to be replaced. I did not install the headers, and I was wondering how easy or hard it is to get them on there. I am consindering just taking them off and installing an exhaust manifold.

Anyone that has installed headers on their truck, please let me know if you had to remove anything, or raise the engine up, etc. Also, did you slide them up from below or come from above?

If I install an ehasut manifold I will have to put studs in because the headers bolt on...do they thread into the block.

Old 10-25-2003, 12:24 PM
georgedavila
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've never done them on your particular model truck, but unless you're replacing them with exactly what you have on it, there will be some learning curves. Until you can get exact experiences on your truck, keep moving your thread to the top. You might also try the 80-86 truck forum. Somebody there has to have done this install.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/f...?s=&forumid=37

They're usually installed from below. If you intend to replace them with new headers, don't buy cheap ones as fit and flange thickness will be a you get what you pay for situation. Studs will thread into the block if you go for stock manifolds.

Unless you do your own exhaust welding, no matter what, new headers or stock manifolds, plan on a trip to the muffler shop.

Old 10-25-2003, 05:34 PM
LxMan1

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I have Dynomax headers on my 77 and they fit real good. I have never has a problem with them sealing. They will go in from the bottom. On mine, I did not have to raise the engine, but I do not know about the 80-up trucks with a 460. I did install a set on a 302 4speed 80 model. They fit fairly easy too.
The main thing is once you have the new ones on, is to retorque the bolts several times to keep the gaskets from leaking. After they are installed, warm up the engine. Turn it off then retighten the header bolts. After it cools, do it again.
After a couple of driving cycles, check them again until they say good and tight. This will give you years of good service out of them. Just don't burn your fingers, they do get extremely hot!!.
Jimmy