1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

55 Ford And 400 Motor

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2003, 04:49 PM
BADBAZBOY
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 55 Ford And 400 Motor

I,M IN THE PROCESS OF RESTORING A 55 FORD FAT FENDER TRUCK. I DON'T KNOW 2 MUCH ABOUT FORD, I MORE A CHEVY MAN. BUT I LOVE THE LOOK OF THE 50'S FORD. I HAVE A 78 FORD F150 WITH A 400 MOTOR AND AUTO TRANS I'D LIKE TO INSTALL WITHOUT TO MANY MODS WITH THE EXCEPTION OF MOTOR MOUNTS AND TRANS MOUNT. IS THAT POSSIBLE WITH KEEPING A BASICALLY STOCK FRAME, STEERING COLOME, INNER FINDERS. WILL IT FIT WITHOUT DOING ANY CUTTING? ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD HELP.

THX-BBB

Old 10-22-2003, 05:35 PM
truckbuff
Junior User
BBB, It will work. When I bought my 55 it had the 351M and a 2w.d. C6 automatic. The engine mounts & transmission mounts were homemade, but the frame was not cut up. My engine had the stock cast iron exhaust manifolds, I'm not sure headers will fit without getting into the inner fenders. The stock steering box & column was still working. My truck had a floor shifter for the automatic. I don't know if the drive shaft was 55 or 78 or other, my truck still had the old rear axel hooked up to the C6. You might have trouble with accessories up front if your truck gets fancy; power steering, alt., a/c, etc.

Old 10-23-2003, 09:00 AM
BADBAZBOY
New User
THX FOR THE INFO TRUCKBUFF. LIKE I SAY THIS IS MY FIRST FORD, SO I MAY HAVE A COUPLE MORE QUESTIONS.

BBB