Missouri Chapter Join Chapter , Leader:77&79F250

9" Ford L/S rear end

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2003, 10:09 AM
F100DREAM
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
9" Ford L/S rear end

Hello all. Let me first ask the question, which 9 inch Ford rear ends will bolt direclty to my 1971 Ford F-100 efficiently and work without too much trouble?

Next, does anyone have a 9" rear end (can be without gears and just the housing) that they just want to get rid of free or very inexpensively?

Last, why is this stuff so addictive? I blame my horsepower fettish on Ratsmoker (I have no other way to vent my frustrations with spending thousand of dollars on my Ford truck except to blame Ratsmoker, and he doesn't seem to mind too much).

By the way Rat, I was at Gateway last night and a big Dodge Deisel ran a 12 something, outrageous!!!

Thanks guys for any help, Doc.

Old 10-22-2003, 07:24 PM
trouble
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F100, i have the completeHousing and chunk, i've been asking $150.00 for it , but it would be Feb before i'm back in St louis area. Thought about driving down to see Freak, but have to go to Fort Riley KS next week .

Old 10-22-2003, 09:10 PM
chuckman
Senior User
im going back to stl this weekend, i could haul it from here if you like that deal.

Old 10-23-2003, 04:51 AM
Ratsmoker
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Its amazing what those diesels will turn with a bigger turbo, computer chip and a big dose of propane. You gotta have some excuse Dream. If its me I guess that is okay.

Old 10-23-2003, 06:45 AM
F100DREAM
Senior User
...Speedway salvage yard.

Trouble, thanks for your offer, but that price hurts a little too much. Actually, Speedway (right across the highway from Gateway International Raceway if anyone ever wants me to show it to them) will sell me a 9" axle for $100.

The problem with this option is that I have to be out there early enough to get it before it is gone. As I said just previously, this "junk yard" is right across the street for a drag strip and 9" Ford axles don't last long around racers. Even though the Ch#vy drivers will not admit they have 9"s under their vehicles, the webs on the housings don't lie.

I had a 360 block and I don't know if it's still at the shop where they installed my engine, but if it is and anybody wants it, you can have it (actually the engine was running when it was pulled, bad piston rings). I told the guy to give it to the machinist who built my 390, but it has not made it there yet.

Thanks a lot guys, Doc.

Old 10-23-2003, 05:39 PM
460429_freak
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
okay doc you looking just for the housing and axles???? I will have to check I just chinked some of my old ford axels but my 77 has a lot of slop in it and I was going to swap it out but haven't yet I also have 67 and a 71 ford that has the rear still there the question is how soon you need it ?? I think the only thing you will have to worry about is the spring perches

and yes ever CHEVY stock car down here runs a 9 inch ford but usally they want the ones out of the lincoln versatiles

Old 10-25-2003, 11:30 PM
clutch
Freshman User
F100dream, Ive got a housing for a 71. You need a pre 73, they got longer after that. The housing Ive got is stripped (took the trac loc pumkin out for my truck see gallery). Ill give it to you if you want it. Let me know if you want it. My dad works in Fenton so you could pick it up there. Ive also got 31 spline axles that I would sell.

Old 10-26-2003, 04:58 PM
trouble
Senior User
I reckon i need to load my 9 inchers up one weekend and come sit beside the drag track. What ya think about that..

Old 10-27-2003, 07:36 AM
F100DREAM
Senior User
Clutch, yes I do want the axle at your earliest convenience. I have never been to Fenton but I guess my truck will make it there (after I refill the gas tank about 100 times, haha). Let me know if this Saturday is good and I will try to meet your dad to pick it up. Thanks for the offer, no what can I do for you? Every good turn deserves another!!! Doc.

Trouble, yes, the 9" will sell mighty fast, but don't know if the race track will look too kindly upon you soliciting on their property, haha, would hate to have to come and bail you out.

Old 10-27-2003, 07:57 AM
chuckman
Senior User
there should be another fun ford weekend or something soon (if you can call late spring "soon"), complete with swap meet, set a "display" up then

Old 10-27-2003, 10:53 AM
clutch
Freshman User
F100 dream, my dad isn't in fenton on weekends, only weekdays from 8 to 4. If you want to pick it up on the weekend you will have to make the trip to beutiful Beaufort MO. I'm at college right now in Columbia MO, but I will be home this weekend. You may also want to check the splines in the diffferential, I have a set of the short 31 spline axles. I may be wrong but these might be hard to find as most of the earlier (shorter) rears had 28 spline axles. I looked at your truck and noticed you already had a nine inch rear. Couldn't you just rebuild a center section and swap them? In that case all you would need to do is make sure that the splines on the axles you have now match the splines in the diff. you are installing. Just wondering.

Old 10-27-2003, 11:04 AM
F100DREAM
Senior User
8.8" Rear

Clutch, if I am not mistaken, that rear end is an 8.8" rear end, 3.0:1 gears. If you are sure by looking that is a 9 inch, then I will have to go look again. But I think it is an 8.8". I am off this Friday, so I could go to Fenton then? Thanks.

Last edited by F100DREAM; 10-27-2003 at 11:07 AM.
Old 10-27-2003, 11:38 AM
clutch
Freshman User
If you are talking about the reddish brown truck in your gallery then it is positivly a 9 inch. Only they had the removeable carrier that unbolts from the front and no cover in back. Look here for some pics http://www.fnc.ch/Technik/9-Inch_rebuild.htm

Old 10-27-2003, 01:11 PM
F100DREAM
Senior User
OK, I am going to take a real good look when I go home. I don't remember seeing any bolts and definately no large webs on the carrier housing. I guess maybe I need to have someone more intelligent than me about this issue take a look also. Thanks.

Old 10-27-2003, 07:22 PM
clutch
Freshman User
Heres a place with a lot of parts. http://www.drivetrainsuperstores.com/default.asp They have new Ford style limited slips for $330, not bad. All you need then is bearings, gears, a yoke, and a case to make a quick swap. I am getting ready to do this with my truck. Finally got all the parts and tools togther. I started with a used factory tracloc rear and I am in the process of putting it back together with new bearings, seals, and clutch kit. So if you have any questions I can probably help.

Quick Reply: 9" Ford L/S rear end