General Automotive Discussion

Elderly drivers

Old 10-20-2003, 05:15 PM
Xwarrior86
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Elderly drivers

So what's everyone's take on elderly drivers? Should they be allowed to drive until they hit someone? SHould there be tests at a certain age? I'm doing a presentation for school and I wanted to get some "interviews" from people that obviously like to spend time behind the wheel. So what's your opinion?

Old 10-20-2003, 05:30 PM
Chiefman
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think that elderly should be tested more often as they age. I know that my grandfather was a very good driver right up until his death about a month ago. My grandmother on my mother's side is not. I will not even follow her on the road. I do think that some danger exists with some who do not want to give up their freedom, and rightly so. But there comes a time when you gotta do that so you dont take away somebody elses life.

Old 10-20-2003, 05:41 PM
2Bowers
Posting Guru
We have had a long-running debate in the editorial section of the local paper about elderly drivers. The paper was accused of unfairly categorizing drivers as elderly in accident reports. Some people are still, months later, keeping track of the ages printed in the reports in the paper. So far the teenagers are the worst, then the seniors, then everyone else (don't have the breakdown at hand).
The teens don't yet have a lot of experience, plus they seem to be the worst for speeding, reckless driving and DUIs. The seniors are usually involved in fender-benders and driving into buildings, running off the road, etc. Usually absent-minded stuff.

I once believed we should have annual testing for those under 25 and over 75. Now, with all the idiots on the road, I would gladly volunteer for annual testing for everyone regardless of age. Granted, if someone wants to drive bad enough he'll do it whether he has a license or not, but this could help weed out some problem drivers before they kill someone.

Some of you will take issue with this. I am not deliberately slamming teens, seniors, or anyone else, but there are some people who just don't need to be on the road. Everybody knows someone like that.

Old 10-20-2003, 05:41 PM
1970f2504x4
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I feel the elderly should be tested more as they age. Everyone ages differently. I've known a person who was still climbing trees to trim them in his 80's... and people his same age who couldn't function. I hope when I get up into that age bracket that I would know the sensible time to stop driving. I'm not sure of the best way to test people as they get older - do you make them simply take the regular driving test every year? Perhaps every other year?

Old 10-20-2003, 05:44 PM
Texan1983
Posting Guru
i think they should have more test as they age, even more if appling for a handicap sticker, i mean come on, some of these people can barely walk, move, and see, so let them drive at 60+ mph!

sometimes it makes no since to me.

Old 10-21-2003, 12:25 AM
NRAJOE
My dads 90 and hes still driving and he is a freaking MENACE! Half the time he doesn't even know whats going on around him, but they keep giving him a license!

Old 10-21-2003, 08:05 AM
Dealford
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ontario has a graduated drivers licence system. I think seniors, here in Ontario, should be tested every 2 years. This way they must quaify to drive under the restrictions, if any, of the licence they have. The 2 year period will also coincide with their licence plate renewal and the cars' emision testing.

Old 10-21-2003, 08:36 AM
Go Aweigh2452
Senior User
more testing the older they get and when they no longer can function properly, take away their wrap around sunglasses.

Old 10-21-2003, 10:34 AM
jim henderson
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Both young and old drivers are a problem. However the youg will probably improve with experience. The old usually just get worse with time.

I have seen 90 year olds that are in excellent condition and wonderful drivers. But, usually the oppisite is more common.

I would vote for periodic testing, maybe every 5 years starting at 65(heck theyr retired right so maybe that is a right of passage). I would requrie a driving test not just written. Maybe exceptions could be made for clean records. After say 75 I might require ever other year or so, once again with credit for good records.

Just like everything else in life, there are certain ages where things automatically happen due to law or statistics. Older people should be tested and dangerous drivers MUST be taken off the road. That old guy a few months back who plowed thru 3 BLOCKS of pedestrians is a golden example of why this needs to be done. Losing your driving privileges(It is not a right) is inconvenient but so is getting old, plus victims have a right to safe drivers too.

Kids are already usually under restrictions and often have more DMV watchdogs to keep them in line and weed out the dangerous ones. Older drivers usually don't get stopped till they plow into something serious.

I am over 40 now and some day I would EXPECT to be tested to see if I am still safe on the streets. Even now I often try to judge my driving to see if in my opinion I am still a good a safe driver, most of the times the answer is yes, but sometimes I think even I need to get myself a slow car and limit my driving.

Just my opinion,

Jim Henderson

Old 10-21-2003, 11:02 AM
sandrat
Posting Guru
I'm more concerned about the younger drivers. I think there needs to be tighter restrictions on both groups, but I think it needs to be more difficult for a 16 year old to get their license. Tougher tests, more driving w/ an instructor or parent, etc....

Old 10-21-2003, 11:12 AM
Texan1983
Posting Guru
even with those tougher test, that still won't help much. teenage drivers get in crashes because of wanting to go fast and show off. it's one of those things kids have to learn the hard way or grow out of.

Old 10-21-2003, 11:33 AM
sandrat
Posting Guru
True, but I think restriction like not allowing 16 year old kids to have passengers under 18 in the car is good, and a 12 AM curfew. Also, I think something more than traffic training would be good, i.e. how to recover from a spin, how to drive in slippery conditions, etc... And tougher penalties for violations. Sounds mean, but it's better than letting them splatter some innocent folks all over the road

Old 10-21-2003, 11:47 AM
02PSD4ME
Posting Guru
Originally posted by NRAJOE
My dads 90 and hes still driving and he is a freaking MENACE! Half the time he doesn't even know whats going on around him, but they keep giving him a license!
I see this all to often here in Fl. I am for more frequent testing when reaching.. Say 65-70. But the politicians will not do anything (the right thing) cause than they will lose the elderly vote

We all start out in diapers and end up in diapers. so they say.

To put it another way, in the beginning we need supervision as most of us do or will in the end.

Sometime it falls on us as the children to intervene and stop them from driving before they hurt someone/their self.

Old 10-21-2003, 12:09 PM
Texan1983
Posting Guru
"Also, I think something more than traffic training would be good, i.e. how to recover from a spin, how to drive in slippery conditions, etc... "

i couldn't agree with this more! my dad went out and did this with me many times when it rained, snowed, and even dry conditions and practiced. great experence, what i learned about how to control the car was great and saved my butt many times when i was going to fast. now i practice everytime i get a new car to learn how it will handle under various conditions and it helps. i will definatly teach my kids this way.

Old 10-21-2003, 01:09 PM
Secret Agent Man
New User
I've investigated a lot of accidents, but you guys have caused me to remember that I have never investigated an accident that involved a senior anywhere other than a parking lot.

It's amazing to me that the states (WA for me) do not test more for licenses. Here they're good for 6 years. Why not test every year? Seems this would be more efficient than making it a law that all driver's must have liabilty insurance.

And most of all, make stiffer penalties. People are under the impression that driving is thier right. Simply put, it's a privlege.

I also like sandrat's ideas. In 72% of all accidents involving a teenager, there was another teenage passenger in the car. Maybe he's on to something.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Elderly drivers