1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

Add fog lights to F250LD XLT 4x4?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2003, 10:25 PM
Tim Ervin
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Add fog lights to F250LD XLT 4x4?

I have a 1998 F250LD XLT 4x4. The truck has holes in the bumper for foglights but has black plastic covers bolted in instead. I checked with one local dealer for Ford truck accessory part # 15200 fog light kit. He quoted a price ~$230. I know that I need the lights and a wiring harnass to plug into them. He said that the kit included a new headlight switch. I do not have autolamps. My headlight switch does pull out but only with the headlights on, not with just park lamps. I do have a plug on the driver's side for a harnass. Does anyone know the part number for the wiring harnass. I could go to another dealer and ask them. I sometimes don't get good answers at the dealer that I visited. I think they are mad because I always buy trucks somewhere else. I don't think that I need a switch though. Has anyone added fog lights to their truck? Any help/suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Aftermarket lights are probably cheaper but I want to be able to run stock bulbs and fit into my bumper (and use the headlight switch). Thanks.

Old 10-17-2003, 12:11 AM
aldridgec
Logistics Pro
Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts
You do need a switch. Even though the basic switch construction is the same, the elctronics in the switch are different. I modified my switch to work the fogs when just the parking lights are on. I noticed when I had it apart that it would move to the autolamp position as well, but that feature wasn't electrically there.

Old 10-17-2003, 07:44 AM
Tim Ervin
Senior User
My owner's manual shows the autolamps. The switch (in 98) was round, similar to a volume on side of radio. The switch that I have is a regular rotary **** similar to the 4x4 switch. And I understand autolamps have to be adjusted for personal preference so that **** rolls up or down like interior light dimmer. I just don't know if there are differences between years. I guess I could check for voltage at the harnass plug under the bumper. And if there is no voltage, I could just jump into the park light circuit. Thanks.

Old 10-18-2003, 03:44 AM
aldridgec
Logistics Pro
Yeah, but on my year (don't know if it differs) you have to select the auto headlamp function with the rotary ****.

Old 10-18-2003, 04:22 PM
kspilkinton
Postmaster
The headlight switch for the fog lamps has the feature you speak of Tim. If it were missing the electrical, then the wiring harness from the light switch to the front end would need to be added to. You'd need a kit with all that, seems Ford would have no problem selling you this, if it was necessary.

The fog lamps only work when you pull out on the switch with the switch in the headlight on position. Most jurisdictions don't allow for fog lamp operation while the head lights are off (parking light posisiton). That's why Chris had to modify his to get it to work that way.

If you have a fog lamp indication near the switch, it should be the last position on the switch and unpainted. It uses a white light, not like the rest of the instrument lighting (green backlit style). The light that indicates the fog lamps are on, may be wired in series to the fog lamps. The indication light doesn't work unless the fog lamps are installed. I believe all F150s/250LDs have the same dash pad, so, if the kit doesn't have that indication light, I'd think that was dumb. But, hey, I've heard of stranger things.

Check to see if you have a harness that goes over the radiator from that same area you found the empty plug that you think goes to the fog lamps. On the 2000 I don't have a plug into a seperate harness. It goes from the switch to the lights. They come out right near the forward body mounts.

You can buy the kit and install the lights, get them plugged in, rotate the light switch, and pull it to see if they work with the current switch.

I'm thinking the 4x2's weren't offered with fog lamps. Perhaps this is a kit for the 4x2's and that's why they come with a switch. I am at a loss for the wiring harness if it is different for your year.

-Kerry

Last edited by kspilkinton; 10-18-2003 at 04:25 PM.
Old 10-18-2003, 10:43 PM
Tim Ervin
Senior User
Thanks everyone. I don't have autolamps or switch like aldridgec. Maybe differences among years. I still need to turn on my headlights, pull the **** out and check the beforementioned harnass for voltage. Then I might be more inclined to buy Fords kit. Since there is differences among years, the parts guy might have pulled up wrong kit. I miss my hometown dealer and parts guy (they closed, I didn't move). I have other dealers to go to but some of them are no better. I've been quoted a $320 on a $85 part at one and I gave them the part #. I don't want to be illegal. I've fought the law enough when I was younger. I'd just like the fog lights to be there if I needed them (and I will eventually). 1997-1999 F150-F250LD only offered fog lights for 4x4. 4x2 bumpers didn't have the openings. Everything should fit though if someone wanted it. I'm glad mine's 4x4 though. Autolamp was grouped with 6 way power driver's seat in Lariat and optional on XLT (I ain't got it). Thanks again.

Old 10-18-2003, 11:48 PM
Doorgunner808
Senior User
This guy has these kits all the time on eBay. They are a little pricey but it is a complete factory kit and costs less than getting it from a dealer. Hope this will help some.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2437335862

DG808

Old 10-19-2003, 04:28 PM
Tim Ervin
Senior User
Thanks for the link. Apparently my switch won't work. I still haven't checked it but... Doorgunner808's link shows the fog light on indicator light and I would need the dash trim around the switch for the light to show up. The bidding on this item is almost up and the price is already ~$210. It is not the exact kit for my truck. It also fits 4x2 and/or Expedition. It includes a spoiler that goes below the front bumper and has the same fog light openings as my truck. Throwing that away, I'd need most everything else. Wish I wasn't so hard headed and close minded at times. Now I've posted a new thread trying to find my ext. paint color. The same vendor had stock molded running boards. They were available in different colors- one being portofino blue. I called my truck light denim blue. The code is K1 (1998). I've tried adding pic to gallery but I don't have a gallery and need to know how to set everything up. I have pic on my computer that salesman sent me. It has since been slightly modified but is still the same color. Most people think it is silver at first. Thanks for all the help.

Old 10-19-2003, 08:31 PM
aldridgec
Logistics Pro
I was pretty sure on the switch. It pulls out like it has fogs, but no other indications for it.

Have you thought about used? I bet the wiring will work, as it looks like I have all the neccesary wires for adjustable pedals.

Uh, but wait, I have that plug hanging on the drivers side too. And I have fog lights. I'll run outside and get a pic of the underside so you can see. BRB...

Old 10-19-2003, 08:49 PM
aldridgec
Logistics Pro

Last edited by aldridgec; 10-19-2003 at 08:52 PM.
Old 10-19-2003, 10:15 PM
kspilkinton
Postmaster
Gee, why does that look familiar? Oh wait, 'cause I have a 2000 too

The switch sounds like the right one, and I didn't think Ford would have a difference in wiring harnesses for just fog lamps... not like them to leave things like that off. It's not cost effective. That's why I figured Tim would have the wiring all the way from the switch to the lights, just no lights.

-Kerry

Last edited by kspilkinton; 10-19-2003 at 10:18 PM.
Old 10-19-2003, 10:39 PM
Tim Ervin
Senior User
Looking at this link, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...item=2437335862, that Doorgunner808
sent, the switch is like mine and could be like your 2000. It is not like autolamps shown in my owner's manual for 1998. And my truck was actually built 10/97 so changes probably were made knowing Ford. I have a 2002 F150 to compare to (MOM"S) but it is XL 4x2 V6 with no fog lamps. I could look for the wires underneath or test mine as said before. I do need bezel piece for instrument panel that goes around light switch and lights up when fog lights are on. More than likely I'll need the switch as well because I've never looked inside one and will take your word for it. eBay is close to Ford's $ of $230 (also reserve, not met yet at $210) and I don't need the front air dam shown because I got somewhere to put the lights. I'm not knocking either price because I can't make them myself but I just thought the dealer was selling me stuff I wouldn't need (it's happened before) to make a dollar. And I'm positive they don't know everything. This place here is more honest aqnd precise. Thanks everbody.

Old 10-20-2003, 07:24 AM
Doorgunner808
Senior User
I dont think I quite understand, are you lookin for just the switch, or a whole fog lamp kit. If you are lookin for just the switch, I have found 4 or five in the past week or so for the f150's. I have a base F150XL v6 w/o foglamps. The switch in my truck operates like one with foglamps however, there are no electical contacts in it. In other words. If you have foglamps in your truck, then you need the switch for the foglamps. They aren't that expensive, maybe 10 to 25 bucks. There seem to be quite a few of them on eBay. If you don't see one now, wait a week or so, and check again. BTW the kit on ebay(a genuine Ford product) and I think the kit from the dealer as well, come with everything you would need for an install. (wiring, switch, etc.)

DG808

Found this one on eBay just after I posted. It's just the switch but with foglamps too.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2437638715

Last edited by Doorgunner808; 10-20-2003 at 07:48 AM.
Old 10-20-2003, 08:32 AM
Doorgunner808
Senior User
The complete kit has been relisted with a lower BIN price and maybe a lower reserve. Too bad I don't have an extra $250 Don't suppose you guys could spot me some cash heh? LOL

Here is the link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2438499535

DG808

Old 10-20-2003, 09:12 PM
aldridgec
Logistics Pro
Well, the black bezel piece is part and parcel to the switch, its not a seperate piece.

Quick Reply: Add fog lights to F250LD XLT 4x4?