Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Zia Edition F-150

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2001, 10:00 PM
hotrodpinto
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zia Edition F-150

I purchased a 1995 F-150 XL last year. The truck is a regular cab, short bed 4 x 2 with a stock 5.0 L V8 and a 5-Speed Manual Transmission. There is a decal on the side of the truck below the F-150 decal that says Zia Edition. The truck originally came from the Roswell, New Mexico area. Is this some kind of aftermarket appearance or suspension package offered by ford or another company? Other than a unique purple paint job, sport stripe package,and 15" Ford Chrome Plated Rims, the truck looks like a normal regular cab F-150. I've been curious what this Zia Edition means ever since I bought the truck. I asked the Ford dealer here in Fort Wayne, IN, and they didn't know.

Thanks,

HotRodPinto

Old 02-11-2001, 06:45 PM
KevinT
Senior User
Zia Edition F-150

I dunno about the zia edition but out here in southern cali a 3rd party truck customizer customizes a LOT of the dealer truck, a place called "Sport Trucks by Dean" they totally destroy the truck look, like putting 17" chrome rims and other lame appearance items on otherwise really cool trucks. I have to say, you picked the right truck to buy, sounds exactly like my baby you call the paintjob purple...click the link to my page and let me know if you think mine is the same paint, because my truck looks purple in some light, blue in others, and black in some.

1995 F-150XL SC/SB
http://members.sounddomain.com/blind
5-Star Rated F-150 (Big Stereo)

Old 02-12-2001, 08:12 PM
russe
Freshman User
Zia Edition F-150

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 12-Feb-01 AT 09:15 PM (EST)[/font][p][font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 12-Feb-01 AT 09:13 PM (EST)[/font]

kevint,
Your truck sounds similar in color to mine. I have a 1995 F150 4x2 with the 4.9L. The technical paint code, according to the local Ford body shop, is Sapphire Blue. Mine looks purple in some light, blue in others, and black in the shade. Also, there is a lighter blue / grey custom graphic job on the sides, as if the truck was not noticible enough. I think it is a very cool color, also attracts a lot of attention here in NE Ohio.

As to the zia edition, I am not familar with this logo. However, it could be the original owners added touch to a slightly custom truck. Ford sends some vehicles out plain and then the body shops add touches before they sell them. Could this have possibly happened? Just a thought.

Old 02-12-2001, 09:30 PM
Pastmaster
Postmaster
Zia Edition F-150

My guess is that it's just a informal "aftermarket package" that is sometimes added to trucks. I've read somewhere that there are over 100 different company's that do aftermarket conversions to trucks.

Old 02-12-2001, 11:27 PM
hotrodpinto
Junior User
Zia Edition F-150

I went on your website and saw your truck. Very cool. Looks like you spent a dollar or two to get you truck the way it is now. As far as the paint job on my truck is concerned, it is a medium to bright purple color. It looks like purple from all directions. I can't find the paint code on the VIN Tag on the driver's side door. Where would the paint code be at ? for your help.

Thanks,

hotrodpinto

95 F-150 XL
5.0 L V8- 5 Speed
Stock

Old 02-12-2001, 11:38 PM
hotrodpinto
Junior User
Zia Edition F-150

You're probably right about the aftermarket package thing. The truck is basically stock with a nice paint job, chrome wheels, and a sport stripe package. This is the best truck I've ever owned, and I think that I will drive it until it drops dead( It's a Ford- that will be many years down the road). The 302 has about 87,000 miles on it, and it will probably be good for another 100,000 to 150,000 miles (with a little maintenence, of course).

Thank you guys for your help.

hotrodpinto

Old 02-13-2001, 05:24 PM
KevinT
Senior User
Zia Edition F-150

I found mine on the drivers door, by the lock mechanism, code LA for mine.

1995 F-150XL SC/SB

Old 02-14-2001, 03:13 PM
russe
Freshman User
Zia Edition F-150

I went and checked the paint code on my truck as well. The code is on the safety compliance certification label as kevint stated. The color code on my truck is JA.

Note:
JA - Bright Sapphire Metallic Clearcoat
LA - Medium Royal Blue Metallic Clearcoat

The colors are from: http://www.paintscratch.com/search.htm

Old 02-15-2001, 11:13 AM
TallPaul
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Zia Edition F-150

Kevint: I have the same blue paint--paint code LA--on a '95 F150. Weird color. Try to buy it at the local parts store: The Ford dealer had a bottle, but not spray. Most of the time it looks a few shades lighter than navy blue. I would say it definitely is not a medium royal blue. Occasionally, when the sun is hitting it at a heavily oblique angle and I am standing in the right spot, it will look purple. Wish it were purple more of the time, but maybe it looks like that to other drivers when I am on the road. I can't say I ever saw it looking black--er, that is until I just previewed this photo:
.https://www.ford-trucks.com/dcforum/User_files/3a5b2ef30294ba89.jpg

Old 02-15-2001, 12:27 PM
paulg
Senior User
Zia Edition F-150

I live here in Albuquerque, New Mexico and I see a few of these trucks once in a while with the Zia Symbol on them. From what I have seen there isn't anything really special about them. The Zia is this state's flag symbol. The only thing I can think of is the Zia package is just some add-ons the dealer can charge more for.

Old 02-15-2001, 07:51 PM
hotrodpinto
Junior User
Zia Edition F-150

I looked at the VIN sticker located on the driver's side of the cab. The exterior paint code was JA. Thanks for the information.

Old 02-15-2001, 08:18 PM
KevinT
Senior User
Zia Edition F-150

Tallpaul:
I have also looked for some paint, on the bed of my truck I have a few nice DEEP scratches down to the metal from the previous owner (company truck) and I would like to do something to them, and the front bumper, gray just like yours, has some paint coming off of it on the edges...would it be cheaper to get the whole thing re-painted, possibly the same color as the truck, just get some touch up paint, or go with an after market bumper? I've had the urge to purge...er get a pre-runner bumper complete with big-@ss lights and skid plate, as I often go mud romping and trail riding/camping but can't seem to make myself spend THAT much money on a mostly appearence only item...that money could be well spent on engine goodies instead!

1995 F-150XL SC/SB

Old 02-16-2001, 08:00 AM
TallPaul
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Zia Edition F-150

Kevint: If you were to repaint, you could get a better color. I don't particularly care for this LA paint. Straight purple would be cool though. But, I probably am not the best one to ask, given that I used a Navy blue spray to touch up where the bug shield had worn through the paint on the hood. It dosen't really match but passes the 10-foot test and will prevent rust thru. My grey bumper is rusting and I probably will have to hit it with Rustoleum or POR-15 (some anti rust coating). If I were to repaint I would go with a medium blue (limited by blue interior). If I had a choice when buying, I would have gone with a medium green

Old 02-16-2001, 08:34 AM
AlM
Posting Guru
Zia Edition F-150

yo!
maybe this is the zia group?
Zia Automotive Group
2600 The American Rd., Ste. 260
Rio Rancho, NM 87124 (Map)
Phone: 505-890-2110
Fax: 505-890-2119
..."When large, publicly held auto dealers began riding into Albuquerque, Don Chalmers Ford, Bob Turner's Ford Country, and Rich Ford formed a posse to combat them. Now known as Zia Auto Group, the dealerships sell new Ford cars and trucks. The three dealerships formed a partnership in 1999 in order to benefit from economies of scale while maintaining operating autonomy. The dealerships, which also sell used cars, continue to operate under their individual names and compete against each other. Chalmers, Turner, and E.W. Richardson (founder of Rich Ford) own Zia."

http://www.theautochannel.com:8080/mania/industry/dealeronline/issues/adm199907-17.html

and:
http://www.theautochannel.com:8080/mania/industry/dealeronline/issues/adm199907-17.html

"...By now, you've heard of the three Albuquerque Ford dealers who are consolidating their Ford stores to form their own dealership group - Zia Automobile Group. What excites me most is, here is an option in which dealers control and own the enterprise. I mean, the guys who were dealers before the consolidation are still dealers afterward. Nobody is giving up control, ownership, legacy, community involvement or anything else. ..."

Old 02-16-2001, 05:08 PM
hotrodpinto
Junior User
Zia Edition F-150

Maybe it is the same dealership. It's worth checking it out, at least.

Quick Reply: Zia Edition F-150