Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > Expedition & Navigator
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-23-2003, 11:30 AM
Senior User

FarmLaw is starting off with a positive reputation.
On most vehicles with rear drum brakes, the star wheel is adjusted when you back up and step on the brakes while reversing--a system of cables and levers turns the wheel ever so slightly, and this is supposed to keep them in adjustment. Adjustment is necessary on these rear-drum vehicles because normal braking wears out the brake shoes and drum, creating more clearance between the shoes/drums and thus requiring something to take up that clearance.

HOWEVER, on expeditions with rear disc brakes, the parking brake shoes are located inside the disc and do not work as service brakes at all; they are only used as parking brakes. They should never touch the 'drum' portion of the rear discs when the discs are turning (unless the parking brake is pressed into service as an emergency brake). Thus, there should never be any rotational friction on the parking brake shoes...thus the parking brake shoes and parking brake 'drum' part of the disc should never wear...thus there should never be a need for adjustment. I suspect that the need for adjustment comes from a gradual lengthening of the parking brake cable--which will only stretch a finite amount. So once you adjust the parking brake once, after accomodating the cable stretch, you should never have to do it again.
Old 06-11-2007, 06:50 PM
New User

cfoight is starting off with a positive reputation.
What now

Hi All, new to this forum. Well, I adjusted the star gear as far as it will go and the back wheels still do not lock up. When parking brake pedal is totally mashed to the floor the wheels do lock up. Way more effort then I feel is needed. I havent checked, but Im guessing my pads may be a wee wore out or is there possibly something else is wrong?
Old 07-23-2008, 10:57 PM
New User

swingcat66 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Hello, I'm new to the forum but not mechanics and especially not Ford trucks. Yesterday I replaced the rear axle seal in my 99 Exp. I found that my P-brake shoes were completely worn out to the metal. I drive an F-250 but this vehicle is driven by my wife and son. One of them must have driven with the p-brake on (yet neither will admit it). Also the adjustment on p-brake is completely manual. I had the whole system apart there are no automatic adjusters. You may want to look and the back of the backing plate and make sure that the cables are moving on both wheels. Your cable could be rusted and broken inside the casing, and the rust could cause increased force to apply pedal. Hope this helps and thanks for having me.
Old 07-24-2008, 04:45 AM
Senior User

turborich is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have a 00 expedition with the rear disc bakes & my parking brake pedal goes very low. It grabs but not like it should as stated in the earlier post. How do I adjust the parking brake on a disc brake set up?
Old 07-24-2008, 06:53 AM
New User

swingcat66 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Even though you have disk brakes, your p-brakes are shoes inside of the back of the rotor. The center of the rotor acts like a drum. Follow the instructions given by tsdrallyer on 10-18-03 @3:49 p.m. on this thread to adjust those shoes.
Old 07-24-2008, 02:52 PM
Senior User

I looked at that post, wasn't that talking about adjusting drum brakes? It mentioned a backing plate & the rubber plug. If not then I am lost???

Are you saying that the brade pads do not work with the rear parking brake? I'm pretty sure that the cable causes the rear calipers to extend outward so the pads can grip the rotors, No?
Old 07-24-2008, 03:17 PM
Posting Guru

pdqford is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.pdqford is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by turborich View Post
I looked at that post, wasn't that talking about adjusting drum brakes?
It originally was asking about adjusting the parking brake (on an Expy?).

Quote:
Are you saying that the brade pads do not work with the rear parking brake?
Correct. The brake PADS work with the service brake, not the parking brake.

Quote:
I'm pretty sure that the cable causes the rear calipers to extend outward so the pads can grip the rotors, No?
No. The cables cause two small brake SHOES to expand inside the 'hat' of the rear rotors. The 'hat' funtions as the drum for the parking brakes' SHOES. These shoes can be adjusted out like you would adjust the shoes of a drum service brake.

The discussion seems to now be centered around if these shoes are automatically adjusted when you apply them in reverse (similar to a drum service brake system, or if they have an automatic star wheel adjuster that keeps them adjusted when ever the parking brake is applied, or if there is an adjustment on the cables.

I think some forget that this is an Expy/Navi board, not the F-150 board.
http://www.fuelly.com/sig-us/50500.png
Old 07-24-2008, 08:13 PM
Senior User

OK, thanks for explaining this further. I will have to look at the calipers & see if I can locate the star adjuster thingy. Yes, it is a expedition.
Old 07-24-2008, 08:13 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > Expedition & Navigator

Tags
08, 150, 2004, 46, adjust, brake, brakes, emergency, escape, f150, ford, fords, operation, parking, rear