General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

My son wants me to take him camping

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2003, 07:07 PM
dcexplorer
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My son wants me to take him camping

My six-year-old son wants me to take him camping, but I have a lot of bad memories of camping when I was a little kid his age.

My parents would argue and scream at each other the whole time: driving up, camping, driving back.

It would typically rain and we'd be soaked.

My mom wasn't much of a cook.

So ... when I try to imagine a fun time camping, I'm at a loss.

What fun things do you do when you go camping? Maybe I can get inspired and figure out how to do it right.

Old 10-14-2003, 07:10 PM
cactusdoug
Junior User
Go Fishin'

Now thats some of my finest childhood memories

Old 10-14-2003, 07:12 PM
luv4ford
Junior User
Camping is the best! Take your son!

Old 10-14-2003, 07:16 PM
michaeld6638
Senior User
roast marshmallows over the campfire, go fishing, hiking, nature photography, or just kick back in the hammock For nighttime entertainment, a game of cards or dice by the campfire works.

Well, you ARE in the northwest rain forest so I guess it would rain a lot...My camping trips are usually not that wet, but there is a spot we go to that's in a mountain valley and it does tend to rain a lot up there, especially overnight. We hang up a huge tarp that covers most of the campsite and stay dry

Old 10-14-2003, 07:31 PM
sinjin
Posting Guru
explorer,

See about renting a "tent cabin" or something rustic first time out. Less work for you. Everything goes well, then check out tenting for next time.

If cookin' a hassle pre-prepare dinners and stick to things better as leftovers anyway like chili etc. More ambitious try marinading meat to take.

Canoeing or kayaking or rafting are always good. Maybe just short hikes to waterfalls or around lakes? Starting to sound like I like water?

Old 10-14-2003, 08:12 PM
sandrat
Posting Guru
My experiences with camping have sold me on this point: Simplicty.

There more you try to pack into one weekend, the more trouble it will be. Go simple, so close, and be flexible. Be prepared, but don't go crazy. The less you stress out about it, the more fun you have. When things don't work, don't flip out, that's what will ruin it. Just flow with it, and try again next time if it rains.

Old 10-14-2003, 08:15 PM
acerockola77
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Man, camping is the best, me and my friends usually go down camping all the time, drink beer, fish, have fun.. it's always real fun.. Having campfires are always fun too. I'd say go!

Old 10-14-2003, 09:06 PM
DainBramage
Posting Guru
Well, I love to camp. This year I learned a few things. 1- My g/f prefers sleeping in my old tent to the camper I went through all the trouble of procuring for the 2 weeks we were there. I'll prob. never understand that.
2 - Never let several idiots that know nothing about boats try to restore a boat. It just don't work. Nothing like having to pull a rescue, and haul in 7 people, 2 beagles, and all their stuff back to the dock, 3 miles away, in a 17' bass boat meant for 2 people. Friends don't let friends sink boats.
3 - Don't go camping with large groups of friends and take the g/f's and wives with you. You're guaranteed to have problems.
4 - No matter how much beer you think you're gonna need, double it. Camping and drinking beer around a campfire go ahnd in hand.
5 - You can never have enough citronella torches, candles, ect. when camping in upstate NY during Skeeter season.

Old 10-14-2003, 09:51 PM
Vanhecht
Elder User
seeing as how hes 6 i cant tell you to do what i do when i go camping, but campfires and cooking out, laying and watching for shooting stars, bring a telescope even. also canoeing and fishing and hiking around. i am sure he'll have fun...

Old 10-14-2003, 10:02 PM
bigrigfixer
The Pacifier

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like your son just wants to spend some time with you.

DO IT!

If it's just going to be you and your son, skip the beer. If you bring a brother or friend, have them bring their kids as well. That way, you can enjoy an ale with them when the kids are asleep.

All the proposals thus far seem like excellent ideas. I would like to add ... wait for it ... FOUR WHEELIN'

You just might even see some wild life.

Old 10-14-2003, 10:52 PM
canadianfordman
Posting Guru
You have a great oppurtunity to spend some quality time with your son. Go Fishing, build campfires and if you have some backroads near take bikes as well. Do your best to erase the bad memories you have by making great new ones with your son.

Old 10-14-2003, 11:13 PM
Howdy
Posting Guru
We went through the huge tent, then tent trailer, then camper stage. The wife and I finally decided we like the little one man pup tent. You know the retangular one with two sticks? We got fed up with all the planning and rushing with food. If you can't eat it by hand or cook it on a stick, it stays home. Steak on a stick is my favorite. Seasoning spices and an empty cooler is what we start out with. Want to go camping? We'll be ready in a half hour. Stop at the store on the way.
When my son was that age he like suprises. A couple sleeping bags in the back of the Bronco with some blankets and a fishing pole. Go to the beach or up by the river on a friday night after dark. We would just sleep in the back with the tailgate down. When he woke up, he always looked so suprised. I just got one pole out because you spend most of the time rigging your kids line anyway, and they seem to talk to you more if you're just sitting there looking around. Then had a big breakfast someplace on the way home.

Old 10-15-2003, 12:10 AM
christop43
Posting Guru
Camping is great. I use to run around like a chicken with its head cut off gathering everything I needed till I made a "camping trip" kit. Basically it is a huge duffel bag with everything I would need while camping. My kit includes- frying pan, spices, first aid kit, bug spray, matches and lighter, old newspaper, small grill, pads for under the sleeping bags, small fishing kit, buck knife, forks, spoons, paper plates and the list goes on and on.
I understand that not everyone brings as much stuff as I do when I camp, many people like to keep it really simple.

Just remember if your son has fun, you will have fun. Sounds like your parents are the ones who made camping dreadful for you. Learn from their mistakes and enjoy time with him. Good luck!

Last edited by christop43; 10-15-2003 at 12:13 AM.
Old 10-15-2003, 07:30 AM
rob_nc
Posting Guru
We just returned from a weekend on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Was my kids' first camping trip. Other than the fact that our sleeping pads just plain SUCKED, the trip was a success. Did a ton of hiking and nature watching. Now we're looking at folding trailers or a better tent and air matresses.

Old 10-15-2003, 07:43 AM
Bruin52
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't forget to just sit down around a fire, either outside or inside a cabin next to a fireplace and talk with him. Chances are you probably don't get to see him as much as you did when he was younger. Ask him about what he likes to do and about his friends and stuff. Get to know who he is now at six and have a good time. Remember, you are you, not you're parents. Plan ahead and everything will work out. Might even lead to a camping trip every couple of months or so. If you get stressed out or something. Take a couple of days off and spend it in the wilderness with your soon. You both would get a great deal out of it. Good luck!

Quick Reply: My son wants me to take him camping