93 Aerostar Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2003, 01:48 PM
brianwetzel
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
93 Aerostar Transmission

Hello all,

I have owned an 89 Aerostar for 4 years and the transmission has had the overdrive "hunting" problem for the last year. I test drove a 93 Aerostar with 190,000 KM and it was very noticeable with the shifting as quite hard. The overdrive worked ok but compared to my 89 that you hardly notice the shifts I am wondering if the hard shifts are normal for 1 to 2 to 3? Was my transmission just weak and that is why it shifts soft? Do the hard shifts indicate a different problem? Just wondering if I should but this van or not.

Thanks, Brian.

Old 10-14-2003, 05:32 PM
aerocolorado
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Find out if the transmission has been replaced on the '93. If it has or it has been worked on, the modulator may be incorrectly adjusted or an incorrect one has been used. The shifts should be smooth and responsive, even with high mileage.

The problem you describe has been mentioned frequently on this forum. The pattern generally goes as follows: previous owner suspects transmission problem and takes van in for work. The transmission winds up eitherrebuilt or replaced. After spending big bucks, the transmission shifts worse than before. Owner gets fed up and trades in the van rather than spend additional dollars.

Modulator problems are easily remedied if this is the case.

Last edited by aerocolorado; 10-14-2003 at 05:36 PM.
Old 10-15-2003, 11:31 AM
brianwetzel
New User
It seems that the transmission was not worked on but I am not sure. I could change the modulator easily but how would I know if the wrong one was on now? Also I did not know it was adjustable. How do you adjust it? I did replace the one on my 89 Aerostar years back but I remember only installing it without any kind of adjustment.
Thanks, Brian.

Old 10-15-2003, 02:19 PM
aerocolorado
Postmaster
Here's some reading you might find interesting.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...5252Bmodulator

Old 10-15-2003, 03:13 PM
brianwetzel
New User
Yes, that was very helpful. I now see that the modulators can have an adjustment or not, as well as different spring tensions. I will now see what I can find locally and will do some testing.
Thanks for the information.
Brian.

Old 11-07-2003, 11:02 AM
brianwetzel
New User
After driving the van more and playing with the modulators I believe it is not my problem. The transmission does not want to shift from 1st to 2nd when cold (below 0 C) at all but if I manually shift to 2nd it works. After it will shift on its own and when warm seems to shift very well to all gears. Does this sound like the valve body? Has anyone else had this problem and know the fix?
My fluid level is correct and it looks red and no smell, but I am not sure if the previous owner did a service shortly before he sold it.

Thanks, Brian.

Old 11-07-2003, 10:47 PM
dtong_ck
Junior User
It sounds like the governor. It could be dirty and stop the oil flow.

Old 11-17-2003, 10:41 AM
brianwetzel
New User
I decided to add a small bottle of transmission additive that described "smother shifts" and "coats internal parts" and after about 150 km it no longer does the cold delayed 1st to 2nd shift. It has worked every morning for over 1 week now and it has been quite cold for some of the days. I bought the additive at Wal Mart but can't remember the name. The next time I go back I will make a note of it and post it. I guess my issue was something sticking and it was helped by this additive. Thanks again for the posts.
Brian.

Old 02-27-2004, 04:08 PM
brianwetzel
New User
Well, its funny. I had the problem gone for awhile and then it was back for a few weeks. Then it went away again and the shifts are happening ok in the morning without the long delay to shift into 2nd. It still has more "hard" shifts that my 89 Aerostar ever had but it seems to be ok and the overdrive works very well and that alone is GREAT as my 89 kept shifting out and in of overdrive all the time.
Brian.

Old 02-27-2004, 04:58 PM
aerocolorado
Postmaster
Thanks for the updates, it is always nice to know how these problems play out, successful or not. Wish more people would follow up like you have.

As to your persistent problem with hard shifts, I reviewed your earlier posts and one question comes to mind. Have you verified an accurate transmission fluid level? The A4LD is very sensitive to improper levels. It could be the additive volume was enough to bring the fluid level into range thus making the transmission work properly. Then too, you could have sticking valve(s) that are being helped by the additive. Might not hurt to repeat the additive one more time, drive it a week and then drain and replace with just transmission fluid.

Old 02-27-2004, 07:59 PM
ha38349
Junior User
I agree with aerocolorado, A4LD is very sensitive to fluid level. Drive it around to get it really warm (which may be hard this time of year) check the level with the engine running in park and if it is not above the overfill mark try adding a pint.

Old 05-06-2004, 11:13 PM
wendy213
Freshman User
i have a 93 ford aerostar and it shifts into gear very smoothly i would have it check by machanic first before you bought it. you cant even tell when it shifts it is so smooth check the fluid level a low level can cause it to feel ruff when you shift - which leads to the question is it leaking fluid and why.

Old 05-09-2004, 08:20 PM
jkorreck
Senior User
Just replaced my modulator since my old one leaked, shifts rougher than it did before now, The new one has a small stud that sticks out of it, does that mean that it is adjustable, don't remember the brand of modulator, it wasn't a napa.

Old 05-10-2004, 06:14 PM
jkorreck
Senior User
Took a look at my modulator today, found the allen on it and tweaked it a little, I also found a tiny hole in the vacuum line to the modulator, trans shifts like a dream now.

Old 05-10-2004, 11:08 PM
Bugzuki
New User
brianwetzel does it seem like the transmission shifts at a good rpm or does it shift early or late. There is a possiblity that you have a problem with the kickdown cable. I don't know that it is you problem but a messed up cable adjustment can mess up your shifting. It looks like on my 93 areo the cable adjustment is behind the gas pedal. The tighter the cable the later it will shift. The shift is also harder.