Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

overheat/thermostat/water leak

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2003, 01:48 AM
gbpfan
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry overheat/thermostat/water leak

I have a 97 xlt with a 4.0 sohc with 140,000. Last Saturday the check gauge light came on after driving about five miles. The temp was almost to the white line just before the red line on the hot side. I immediately cranked the fan to high and the heat to hot. The water temperature moderated quickly but not quite as low as normal. I played with the settings while driving to see where it would start to get hot again. It would start to climb with the fan on the third speed and the temp control just above the middle. From there the water temp would go up and down on its own but would stay in the safe zone. Today, as Murphy and his @&*(#^! law goes... I was on my way to fleet farm to pick up a thermostat and antifreeze when the water temp started to climb and would not come down (even with heat and fan up). The check gauge came on and it red lined. I pulled over and shut it down immediately. Walked across the highway to a garage/gas station to buy a thermostat. Not for the $45 the *** wanted for it though. Went back to the truck and started it up to continue to fleet farm. The temp raised rather quickly and I pulled over again and took out the thermostat. This was kinda a pain but got it out. I continued to fleet farm which doesn't carry it. On to carquest which had it and on to home to install. All told I drove about twenty miles after it overheated. The whole time after I removed the thermostat it stayed in the low temperature range so I figured I was fine driving it. When I got home I drained the radiator, filled it with water, ran it and repeated the process a couple of more times to flush the system. I captured all of the fluid in a bucket (environmentally concious). During running the vehicle the second time I noticed liquid dripping to the ground behind the transfer case by the drive shaft. I shut the engine off and drained the radiator again. The dripping stopped after a while. When I filled the radiator again to repeat the process it started to drip again before I even started the engine. I started it and ran it for about ten minutes -the whole time liquid dripped. I drained it and the dripping stopped after a while again. When I filled it again and ran it I throttled it to 4000 rpm a couple of times and it started to rain under the vehicle. Right now it idles fine and doesn't miss.

Two questions: Did I crack the head/block? or Is the head gasket shot?

Old 10-14-2003, 04:45 AM
marragtop
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Depending on how hot it got, you could have cracked a head or blown a gasket. Can you tell where the leak is coming from? Could it possibly be a hose?

Old 10-14-2003, 06:34 AM
stu4now
Senior User
Why not drive it another 20 miles and see if it stops? Maybe 2-3 cans of bars leak will help? Sorry about the #$%$# but it cracks me up how people don't pay attn. to their gauges!!!! Your motor just went off on you and stuck a gun(the temp gauge)to your head and you said..ahhhhhh.....it's only 20 mi. you have many possible problems, head gasket,warped head(hmmmm),intake etc...etc...When your gauge says no more ...STOP........at least shut it down and let it cool and keep repeating (all day if ya have too) until ya get to the store.................Good luck!!

Old 12-06-2003, 11:09 PM
fordtennis
New User
I blew my head gasket that way. I keep driving with no water in the cooling system. Lucky the van is old 1987 which i was planning to get rid of anyway. I wouldn't do it with a brand new new or brand new used car. I've learned my lesson.

Tow the truck home better or tow it to a repair shop.