Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

clutches

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2001, 01:01 AM
rayvin_
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clutches

Is it possible for a clutch to pretty much brake or go out twice in a years span. I got my truck in spring of 98' (1989 f150 I6 4speed man) with what was assumed to be original clutch. In early 2000 i went to start and when i pushed down clutch it gave out, pedal w/n lift up and truck w/n start. They said that there was some problem and that clutch needed replacement. got it done and then by early fall clutch starts to slip, would slip in 2nd gear(first is a major granny). Took it back to shop, they said that the truck was ran to hard, like racing and burn-outs, was not,(explination was fact that rear tires were pretty bare, but we never rotated them), purple and blue marks on clutch wheel? and so warrenty did not cover. Got it fixed again and now it seems like it is f-ing up again. Is this possible cause i dont see how a clutch can go 84,000 miles and 11 years and then within 1 year after replacement goes out again. Is this possible? or did we fork out 400 dollars for shiaty work?

Old 02-26-2001, 01:25 AM
hotrodmex
Senior User
clutches

K, so, there's more to a tansmission than just the clutch disk. What parts are they telling you need replacing? if a clutch disk was slipping it'd do it in more than just 2nd gear. And the pedal not moving could be linkage and cylinders. If they're not telling you what it is, ask them to explain it very thouroughly so you know what you're paying for.
And yes, it is possible for something to just go kaput. My fuel pressure regulator did it, and that's much, much more simple a device.

1989 F-150 : 5.0, shorty headers, Flowmaster cat-back, K&N filtercharger intake, March pulleys, "Multi-brand" performance ignition, soon to be Mass-Air...doesn't know she's not a Mustang

Old 02-26-2001, 01:32 AM
rayvin_
Junior User
clutches

see the first time it went out a spring and a cap were found under truck and you could hear a sucktion type noise when pressing down on clutch pedal. We got it fixed, but the main problem that I had is that when the clutch f-ed up again they tried to put the blame on me, fact that I am 18-24 age group so I am a crazy driver (no tickets and only pulled over twice, same night 5 mins apart for light out in friends car that I was driving) and that pissed me off cause in parents eyes I was at fault. And now it seems that clutch is going out again, less than 6 months after second repair, and its not me cause we had the truck for 2 years before first switch.

Old 02-26-2001, 01:35 AM
bigsix
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
clutches

Rayvin:

Exactly what was replaced in the first repair? One of the others will have to comment on why the pedal would not lift up from floor, as I have not had my hyd. clutch's slave or master cylinder fail yet. Guys, is this what happens?
I'm wondering if you had ONLY the clutch's hyd. system replaced the first time, either by legitimate intent, honest oversight, or fraud (i.e., charged you for clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing and pilot bearings, as well as hyd. system) then didn't change anything BUT the hyd. system the first time. That would make sense of the fully worn out clutch components you're looking at now, b/c they would be original.

OR, something was wrong w/ the shop's hyd. work, causing the clutch to slip and burn out prematurely. You might take a look at Daywalker's clutch thread in this section, and compare the descriptions of clutch slippage to what you are experiencing. The flywheel that came out of my '81 (driven extensively before I got it w/ a slipping clutch) was "burned blue" and cross-checked, from high heat, but the machine shop cut @ .028 off it and it looked perfect and has remained factory smooth in its operation.

Another thought, and I will defer to those who have replaced hyd. clutches, as I have done mechanical only. I'm told that b/c the hyd. clutch is unadjustable, you cannot cut the flywheel and have it maintain the orig. engagement psi b/w the clutch face and flywheel, as the flywheel is now "shorter" and the pressure plate springs have to extend further than originially intended to engage. If a new clutch was done, but a used, cut or improper flywheel was installed, this reduction in engagement pressure could have caused slippage, at least in theory. Again, I will defer to those experienced w/ hyd. clutches here.

Lastly, can anyone confirm whether nor not ANY hyd. clutches have the ability to be adusted? I have heard some did and would like to know which years, if this is true.

BigSix

Old 02-26-2001, 01:37 AM
hotrodmex
Senior User
clutches

sometimes, it's just their time. I know it's hard to deal with, and we'll mourn your loss:-(

try and go to a shop that will do a full inspection for free (while fixing your current problem) and get garuanteed/waranteed work.

1989 F-150 : 5.0, shorty headers, Flowmaster cat-back, K&N filtercharger intake, March pulleys, "Multi-brand" performance ignition, soon to be Mass-Air...doesn't know she's not a Mustang

Old 02-26-2001, 01:48 AM
bgodkin
Elder User
clutches

Sounds to me like something in the slacve or master clutch cylinder to me. I had a 79 f150 with a 3 speed that use to eat clutchs like that though. That turned out to be a bent input shaft. Does your clutch chatter alot on take off? When you pull it apart look at the pilot bearing. If it is all busted up or chewed up then I would check the input shaft for true. Let me know how you make out.

Brad Godkin
1986 F350 CC/SRW
6.9liter/C6

Old 02-26-2001, 01:53 AM
rayvin_
Junior User
clutches

sometimes the truck will vibrate if let off too quickly or if not released at the exact moment, but it does not always do that. Thanx for the tip, if their is a next time to replace it, and i hope not, i will tell them to check it out. GO IRISH!

Old 02-26-2001, 12:43 PM
jakegypsum
Posting Guru
clutches

I had an 86' F-150 that chewed a clutch once a year. I know that I am not talking about the same age group here but I can relate to you. Who is doing the clutch job? One thing I do know is that you have to watch what type of clutch is going back in the truck. Some of the aftermarket clutches that I used in my truck did not have the same amount of lining as one from Ford. Some clutches were not as thick. Other clutches did not have as wide friction material on the disc. Either way, the clutch assembly does not last as long. Whoever did the last job may not have replaced all of the components or there may be something that is being overlooked when doing the clutch job. Some type of component that needs to be replaced. Maybe cylinder or linkage. Just my two cents. Good luck.

Jakegypsum // Ford fleet, soup to nuts.

Old 02-26-2001, 12:54 PM
bgodkin
Elder User
clutches

Hey Jake,
You know the big Yellow (some brands may be a different color) sticker on a new clutch disc that says "this side toward flywheel" or something similar. I bought an 82 f100 stepside with a 302 4 speed a few years back and it had a new clutch. Well it slipped and chattered so I pulled it apart and whoever installed the clutch didn't take the sticker off. What a mess. clutch disc was trashed and it had built enough heat slipping to crack the flywheel. lol. Some people amaze me.

Brad Godkin
1986 F350 CC/SRW
6.9liter/C6

Old 02-26-2001, 01:07 PM
jakegypsum
Posting Guru
clutches

Hey Brad, I have never done it but I did see it almost happen. Me and a friend of mine were doing one in my friends truck. I went over to his house to help him out. He had started the job earlier that day. I got there and he was in the put together stage. When we started to bring the tranny up to the engine, something caught my eye. I don't know what it was but something just did not seem right. Sure enough, backwards. It was a good thing I got there when I did or I would be helping him again the following day.
Some of the larger truck clutches come with retaining blocks in the pressure plate assembly. These blocks are to be removed when assembled. I can say that I have never seen them left in but I sure would not want to forget about them. They are nothing but bull work. Double disc 14" clutches. Everything about changing those are weight related. Plus, there are a lot more things to disconnect. PTO's, air lines, and a big heavy drive shaft. Lot's of fun. Jake.

Old 02-26-2001, 02:16 PM
bgodkin
Elder User
clutches

I know what you mean Jake. A guy that use to drive for my dad was taking out clutch brakes at about one every 3 months on a frieghtliner we had. Finally I went and rode with him. he was pushing the clutch all the way to the floor to shift everytime. lol. No wonder. Hated doing any kind of work on the trucks. I thought my 1 ton had some heavy parts.

Brad Godkin
1986 F350 CC/SRW
6.9liter/C6

Old 02-26-2001, 04:19 PM
toecutter
Senior User
clutches

I would think a hydraulic clutch would act very much the same as disc brakes would....it just needs that much more fluid to compensate for the cutting of the flywheel...much like disc brakes would if you were to cut the rotors down to make them smooth. I've replaced clutches in Ford Rangers...if they are the same in the F150's, there was a cylinder that actually went over the input shaft on the trans....One truck I did the cylinder actually went out..I was able to drive it for a few miles, then it start to stick and the clutch was slipping...finally, that was it, no more go because the clutch was fully released...I called a friend and he came to tow me back, but by that time it had engaged and I was able to drive it back home....possible that could have something to do with it.

As far as the garage not honoring their warranty, I would certainly look at stirring up a hornet's nest with them. They have no proof whatsoever that the truck had been driven hard. It's a truck, that's what they're intended purpose is for, it's to be worked hard...I would consider contacting the Better Business Bureau in your area if I were you. Nothing worse than a business that won't honor it's word, especially when it's in writing. If not, than I'd make sure that everyone I knew, and didn't know heard about what lousy service they give and how they say they stand behind their work, until something goes wrong, and then say it's the consumer's fault....

Sorry, I just get annoyed when someone tries to screw me over....

Good luck..
Phil

Old 02-26-2001, 05:49 PM
jakegypsum
Posting Guru
clutches

Brad, I know what you mean about the clutch brakes. Three of our trucks have a pull type clutch with the clutch brake pedal action. We found one clutch brake assembly sitting in the bottom of the bellhousing. Shot. We still have one that has a push type clutch with a manual clutch brake air button on the shifter. We never had a problem with that clutch brake.

Old 02-26-2001, 05:52 PM
jakegypsum
Posting Guru
clutches

Toecutter may have a point. There really is nothing to loose stirring up the hornets. Let them know that this is not right. Maybe they will give one way or another. It would not hurt bringing in the B.B.B. See what they would have to say. Good luck.

Old 02-26-2001, 10:22 PM
bgodkin
Elder User
clutches

We still have one that has a push type clutch with a manual clutch brake air button on the shifter.

Man that must be an oldie Gotta love that though.

Brad Godkin
1986 F350 CC/SRW
6.9liter/C6

Quick Reply: clutches