1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

99' Ranger cranks, but won't start - AGAIN!

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2003, 08:51 AM
JakeFr5150
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99' Ranger cranks, but won't start - AGAIN!

Ok, went out last night to go over to a buddies place to watch some football. Tried to start my truck but all that happened is that it would turn over, but not start. Had plenty of juice in the battery, and 1/2 tank of gas. It acted like it wanted to start, but nothing doing - just keeps cranking and cranking. Its even more frustrating because I was driving it around most of the day before this happened.

Here's the dillema: Its been doing this for the past two months now on and off. Once I fix something, it runs for about a month, and then it starts doing this again, without any warning signs (i.e. multiple cranks before a start, stalling, hesitation on accel., etc.). At this point I'm clueless. I've replaced the fuel filter, fuel pump, and air filter, but the problem has resurfaced again.

An interesting thing to note is that the only ways I'm able to get it started when it starts doing this is to remove the electrical connection from the intertia switch, and crank the engine a few times to relieve the fuel system pressure. After reconnecting the inertia switch, the truck starts instantly.

So whats the deal? Does anyone have any idea why this would work, and why suddenly the thing would not start after weeks and weeks of driving flawlessly? Is it possible that my system is either too pressurized or losing pressure somehow, and that is how it be able to start? A buddy suggested it might be injectors, but I'm not so sure, because there is no hesitation on accel or performance loss, or even a rough idle. I'm so confused. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jake

Old 10-12-2003, 11:04 AM
99 ranger bob
Elder User
how about just replacing the inertia switch?

Old 10-12-2003, 12:48 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Hi Jake, welcome to FTE!

What motor do you have in your Ranger?

Old 10-12-2003, 03:35 PM
JakeFr5150
New User
I've got a 2.5L 4 cylinder engine in it. It is also Automatic.

I've thought about replacing that switch, but I didn't know if that would do any good or not. The switch doesn't seem to be the problem, because it never "trips" like it would if the truck was wrecked, etc. I don't know why that seems to work to get it started, but it does.

Jake

Old 10-12-2003, 06:06 PM
99 ranger bob
Elder User
I got a really stupid question for ya but is your truck parked on an angle when this happens? I have a 99 ranger with the 2.5 4 cylinder too and i bought mine new shes got like 76K on her now, and the entire fuel system is original. Only things ive ever changed on the truck was air filters and two sets of front brakes other than oil changes Lately if i park it in my driveway which has a slight incline to it and its nose first so that the gas floats away from the motor it cranks like a mother but wont start unless i pump the gas a couple times the it idles rough like a plug is fouled or something. Once i get it to go like 1/4 mile or so shes fine. Im wondering if somehow the fuel systems are air locking or something?

Old 10-12-2003, 06:19 PM
JakeFr5150
New User
No, its actually parked on a flat surface. Kinda sounds like the same problem in a way. This problem will happen, then I will fix something, which involves relieving the fuel pressure via disconnecting the inertia switch. After a few cranks, and then reinstalling the switch, it starts instantly. I'm almost wondering if the fuel system is over pressurizing itself or is somehow becoming depressurized - I don't know. I know almost nothing about cars except the basics, so I'm confused.

I was also wondering if it might be bad plugs or plug wires, but even still, I figured I would have a noticeable loss of performance or trouble starting it after rainstorms if it was one of those. Maybe it is just that inertia switch, but I doubt it. I'll probably take it to AutoZone to have them pull codes or something though. I'm starting to think it might be bad injectors or something.

Jake

Old 10-12-2003, 07:22 PM
Ken00
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you get black smoke when it finally does start? Have you checked to make sure your getting a good spark?

Old 10-13-2003, 05:47 AM
JakeFr5150
New User
No smoke - Spark is fine.

Old 10-13-2003, 09:51 AM
Ken00
Post Fiend
Sounds like a lack of fuel pressure, put a gauge on it the next time it won't start.

Old 10-13-2003, 04:57 PM
JakeFr5150
New User
I don't have a guage, but if I know someone who has alot of these tools. Where would I test the pressure at? Is there a valve somewhere in the line that is easy to check it at? If so, do you have an idea of what the pressure is supposed to be?

I tried to start it this morning, and it did the same as usual. Crank it a few times, and every now and then it will kinda run barely, but stalls after choking for 3 or 4 seconds. I tried the inertia switch thing I've tried in the past, to no avail, but I didn't have alot of time to mess with it. Instead, I had to drive the wife's Beetle to work instead - I hate that car!

Its just frustrating when I took it over to Ford a few weeks ago, spent almost $500 on a new fuel pump, only to find out that was not really the problem. Oh well, I'll go out there again and try to start it after I finish this can of Rocky Mountain refreshment.

Jake

Old 10-13-2003, 05:49 PM
JakeFr5150
New User
Ok, just went out to work on it. Tried the usual tricks, and nothing doing. This time it kept doing the sputtering thing, and kept dying out. However, I did try cranking it and giving it a little gas, and I was able to get the engine running. After holding the gas down for like 2 minutes of strong running, I lifted off and it died instantly - no shuddering or anything like stalling sometimes does - just a smooth, sudden death. Tried it 3 more times and same thing. I did notice the first time that while I did that, white smoke came out the tailpipe, but the other times I did it there was no smoke.

So whats the deal? Why would it run if I was giving it gas, but not even start without holding it down? The fuel pump is fine because I can hear it running (plus its only 2 weeks old). At this point I'm ready to have it towed since I'm at the limit of my automotive expertice.

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jake

Old 10-13-2003, 06:40 PM
fauxexplorer
Senior User
sounds like the fuel pump relay or ign switch.next time. stop cranking ,turn key from off to on,not cranking.2-3 times then try to start.once relay gets heated and starts to move its fine.just getting stuck when sitting.
cant hurt to try

Old 10-13-2003, 07:01 PM
Ken00
Post Fiend
There should be a valve on the fuel rail that you tap into to test the pressure, looks like the valve used on the AC system.

Old 10-14-2003, 05:18 PM
JakeFr5150
New User
Tried the trick to warm up the relays by turning the key on and off several times, but that didn't work. Still just keeps cranking. I think I'm calling the wrecker tomorrow.

Jake

Old 10-16-2003, 08:37 PM
JakeFr5150
New User
Alright - I went out today to give it a few more cranks before I broke down and called the wrecker to take the truck to the shop. Of course, I cranked it about 15 times, and nothing doing. So, I call the wrecker and have it towed to the shop.

About an hour and a half later, the shop calls and says that they were able to get it started every time they tried to start it. Needless to say I was a little miffed because I tried starting it not even 15 minutes before the wrecker showed up to pick the truck up, and it was not more than a hour before I left the shop. They said that they will keep trying to get it to not start (weird that I want that to happen now, eh?) to see if anything is wrong with it.

Basically, they said that when this happens, its either the fuel pump, or the ignition coil. Well, guess that leaves only one option now doesn't it? I told them to be as thorough as they can with it because I don't want to have to haul this thing back in 2 more weeks with it doing the same crap. I'm half minded to tell them just to do a tune up on it anyway just so that is taken care of. Oh well, at least they gave me a free rental car - A sweet (sarcastic of course) Ford Focus!

It must suck to be me!

Jake

Quick Reply: 99' Ranger cranks, but won't start - AGAIN!