Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Modular V8 (4.6L, 5.4L)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-07-2011, 06:45 AM
Freshman User

cplmac is starting off with a positive reputation.
At $235 I will do them myself. I have a shop of my own that is heated, and the time and ability to do it on a weekend. I just have to order the kit. I agree though, $235 is not a terrible price to have what is essentially machining done to your head.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:26 AM
Senior User

naiku is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lose plug View Post
If you heare a ticking sound like an out of ajustment valve chances are a plug is loose and about to blow out. This ticking sound began about three weeks before the plug actually blew out.
I wish I had seen this a week ago, I could hear a faint ticking noise in my truck and was wondering what it was. Yesterday, the 2nd plug in on the drivers side blew out.

Is it worth trying to put a new plug back in? or should I go with the inserts. I have seen a couple threads were people were able to simply use a new plug/coil, but other threads were it blew the plug right out again. I have not had time to examine the plug that blew yet, but as far as I can tell all the threads are intact on the plug itself. Is there a way to check the threads on the head? try to screw in a new plug and see how it goes?
Old 02-10-2011, 12:42 AM
Senior User

mudder1_2000 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I blew my #3 plug in a 99 navigator a year and a half ago. I purchased the time-sert kit and it's been great ever since
Old 05-06-2014, 06:21 PM
New User

lose plug is starting off with a positive reputation.
The last post I submitted on this problem was back in 2010. This post is a bit late for a followup but here it is. The first blow out was back on 11/2010. My repair shop said they had the FORD approved kit and would do the repair. 839 dollars and one year later almost to the day the same plug blows out again. Cause....faulty installation by someone who was in over their head and didn't know what they were doing. Fortunately no damage to the block. Since the engine had just rolled over 100 K I decided to pull both heads...do the valves and while they were off put inserts into all plug ports. New shop that i had used years before to build engines for me. Currently 22 K on the refreshed heads and no problems.
Oh BTW it did cost a bit more than 839 dollars this time. I'm going fishing now...talk to you later
Old 05-12-2014, 08:53 PM
New User

jhlowrider is starting off with a positive reputation.
Blown plug fix with head on motor

I had a plug blow out of my 1998 5.4. My nephew had a repair kit which consisted of a guide, drill bit (looks more like a reamer), tap and inserts. Pretty easy fix.
Old 05-12-2014, 08:53 PM