4.6 interchangability

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2003, 12:24 PM
jimbo2sweet
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 4.6 interchangability

It's me again, the cook with the 4.6 in a 92 Crown Vic. I was wondering if any parts for the F-Series and Expedition 4.6 are interchangeable with the Crown Vic's 4.6. I've run into this issue before, and the results have always been less than favorable

I talked to one of the people from K&N, and they said that I could put the FIPK for the 4.6L Mustang in it, but this would cause "emissions issues," and my check engine light would be on constantly as a result.

Remembering that the 4.6 is in the F-150 and Expedition, I thought I'd try something like putting the breather element from an F-150, equipped with an FIPK of course, in my car. If anyone knows ANY F-series or Expy part I can put in Vicky to make her a little faster that won't cause "emissions issues," I'd appreicate being informed. Thanks in advance. Got lawyers?

Old 10-11-2003, 10:47 AM
2000BLK54
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I couldn't see any problems per say...as long as you can modify the truck pieces to work on your car without impinging on the MAF. I'm still trying to find info on the pre-1996 4.6's and how they could differ from the ones used the in the Mustangs and trucks.

Old 10-11-2003, 09:05 PM
LxMan1

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Both must either be a Romeo or Windsor. I don't think that they interchange from what I have read.
Jimmy

Old 10-15-2003, 11:35 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 297 Likes on 156 Posts
Two thoughts...

I would call K&N again and talk to a DIFFERENT person and ask the same questions. That "emissions issue" sounds bogus.

The '92 4.6L is definitely a "Romeo" motor, named for the city where it's built. That's like the second (or first) year the 4.6L was used.

The Windsor motor is a heavier built motor, different flywheel, crank, but overall, I'm pretty sure heads and most other things are interchangeable.

The problem you are going to have is that the car is so different than the trucks/Mustangs/T-birds that there are going to be very few external parts that fit, either because of clearance, or the intake hose is a different size, or a bunch of other things.

Is it possible the Police Interceptor Crown Vic's have a better intake system and you can use one of those? Look around for junkyards that get old police cars...

Otherwise, just say "screw it" and get a complete 5.4L from a truck and MAKE it fit. It should, they put the 5.4L into the Crown Vic already (at least for cops).

ak

Old 10-15-2003, 05:44 PM
LxMan1

I think the only difference in the police cars is the stiffer suspension, better tires, bigger alt., limited slip rear, and dual exhaust. I don't think that the ECM program is even different.

Old 10-16-2003, 12:14 PM
jimbo2sweet
New User
I called K&N again and talked to 2 other people. They both said the same thing. One of them went on to explain that putting the 4.6L Mustang's FIPK on a 4.6 Crown Vic would cause the emissions to increase to the point where I'd fail the "sniffer test." He then went on about how my car would no longer be street-legal because of the excessive emissions and the costs involved in repairing a vehicle that fails that test.

It almost sounds like they don't WANT to sell me an FIPK or Typhoon. Does anyone know about other cool-air intake systems out there? I don't want to get into forced induction or "Ram-Air" systems that could suck up gravel or other debris on the road. I'm open to the idea of a FUNCTIONAL cowel-induction hood, but not a real big one- preferably a 1-2 incher.

As long as I'm talking about hopping up my 4.6, I may as well tell everyone about the rest of my future plans, no matter how distant thay may seem right now. Any information I can get on these will be appreciated. Lighter-weight, higher-flowing cylinder heads, headers, upgraded ignition, oil/trans coolers, underdrive pulleys, a light-weight driveshaft, upgraded brakes, a stiffer suspension, a lighter radiator and starter, and either a lighter fan like Flex-A-Lite or an electric fan. Got lawyers?

Old 10-16-2003, 01:34 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Originally posted by jimbo2sweet
I called K&N again and talked to 2 other people. They both said the same thing.
The only thing I can think of is that your car doesn't have a Mass Air Flow sensor (MAF). If it doesn't have one, the computer is tuned to expect a certain amount of air at certain throttle positions and RPM.

Modifying the intake will increase the amount of air coming in, but the computer will not know about it and run too lean and of course, throw off your emissions, even with O2 sensors checking fuel mix.

I would think the 4.6L does have a MAF, but in a '92, who knows? Do you have a big four-wire sensor right after the air box? It bolts to an aluminum housing in-line with the intake hose, after the air box, but before the throttle body.

If you have a MAF, there is really no way the emissions would be thrown off that much. The only other thing I can think of is the air-box temp sensor, if you remove the air box, the sensor has to be plugged in. Maybe they just don't have the right part to replace the sensor, or the right directions? Or, they just say "sorry it won't work" when they don't know if it will? Emissions laws are very stringent. Selling components that are 'unknowns" may be a violation of the law and they just won't do it.

ak

Old 10-16-2003, 01:41 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Just checked Google, there is at least one person cleaning his MAF on a '92 Crown Vic, so you might just have one...

Old 10-18-2003, 12:58 PM
jimbo2sweet
New User
It DOES have an MAF sensor. I had to clean it recently, too. I don't understand, if it's the case, ahy the K&N people don't just come right out and say that it's illegal to make that sale. That would be a lot easier on both of us. At the rest of sound like an egg-no-ray-moose, what's that whole GOOGLE thing you mentioned?

Finally, does anyone know about a website for Crown Vic/ Grand Marquis people or at least one that focuses on these cars?

Got lawyers?

Old 10-19-2003, 01:46 PM
GrayRanger4x4
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by lxman1
I think the only difference in the police cars is the stiffer suspension, better tires, bigger alt., limited slip rear, and dual exhaust. I don't think that the ECM program is even different.
On my 94 crown vic,police package it has a bigger thrtole{spellilg} body,stock is a 68mm I think mine is a 75mm and bigger brakes, also it has a bigger trans and powersteering coolers,and a factor oil cooler.The ECM program is diffrent to. also the 85 mph rev liminter is not on the police package{I know mine will run 135 with some petel left to go}.The police package also has a double frame.The police package is a diffrent car from the reg crown vic,about all that is the same is the sheet metal.

Old 10-19-2003, 02:22 PM
GrayRanger4x4
Posting Guru
Also here is a link for you. http://www.crownvic.net

Old 10-19-2003, 09:07 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
www.google.com - nice search engine. Also see groups.google.com, plenty of USENET discussions going back to the early 90's if not the 80's (I'm in there back that far).

I'm surprised someone like K&N wouldn't at least try to hook you up with a filter that would work given the right diameter hose. Are you just asking for a "kit" or can you use a generic cone-shaped filter as long as it has the right diameter to replace the air box? Does K&N have a replacement panel filter for the stock air box?

The police cars are much different animals, but it was fun to drive a white '82 LTD up in back of someone in the left lane and have them move over because they thought I was a cop...

ak

Old 10-19-2003, 09:59 PM
LxMan1

Well, they sure don't accelerate any faster than a stocker with factory duals, and I've seen quite a few of them smoking (Blue, burning oil) and they are well taken care of here. They may have more topend speed due to the limiter being changed.
My 2001 F150 will out accelerate a cop Vicky.

Old 10-20-2003, 12:08 AM
GrayRanger4x4
Posting Guru

I didn't say the where fast off the line. But you can bring that F150 on, I'll wave by as I pass you from 85 on. Then you can try to stay with me on the turns

Man I cant beleave I got into a cumputer race. Yea the 4.6 heads are crap mine smokes too.

Last edited by GrayRanger4x4; 10-20-2003 at 12:10 AM.
Old 10-20-2003, 09:58 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
]
And just when did you actually do that?

Quick Reply: 4.6 interchangability