General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

The Truth, The Whole Truth!

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2003, 02:24 PM
bigdmizer
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Truth, The Whole Truth!

Here is an article on the real situation in Iraq.

I believe that to get a clear picture you have to examine all possible sources:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...hthewholetruth

Old 10-09-2003, 04:43 PM
superrangerman2002
Logistics Pro
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
About time a story comes along to match my cousin's first hand views of what's really going on....

Old 10-09-2003, 07:15 PM
Bubba Shrimp
Posting Guru
Good story! He's right all we ever hear on CNN is about our troops getting attacked and how everyone wants us out of there. We never hear the good stories about how we are helping people over there.

I was watching CNN last night and all I saw was negativity . I switched to FOX news and it's like they are reporting a whole different story.

Old 10-10-2003, 12:08 AM
michaeld6638
Senior User
Just another example of liberal media bias. Their purpose is to promote the liberal point of view (FOX being the only known exception), not report what is actually going on.
But the good news is: FOX kicks CNN's butt, day in and day out. Now if we could get another [more conservative] national newspaper to compete with USA Today, NY Times, et al...

Old 10-10-2003, 10:16 PM
theshyguy
Elder User
Fox News had 3 soldiers from Iraq on earlier today and they gave a good picture of how Iraq is progressing and the media just shows the bad things.

Old 10-11-2003, 12:45 AM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Is there any question now about why I quit watching Television?

When I want bullcrap, I'll take a trailer to a ranch.

Last edited by Greywolf; 10-11-2003 at 12:50 AM.
Old 10-12-2003, 08:20 AM
georgedavila
Postmaster
I'm with Greywolf, but probably for different reasons. The primary goal of any media, including television, is to sell advertising. A pure and simple, easy to understand business plan.

TV advertisers, primarily consumer or institutional products, purchase time ('spots', usually 30-60 seconds in duration) and pay for it based on audience share determined by independent rating services. What audience portion any TV network has at any given time-slot is determined on a daily basis by the rating services.

The advertisers are after audiences that are mostly passive (pretty much assured if TV is their medium of choice), and where the news is something sandwiched between sports reporting and the network's entertainment programming. This is a feel-good audience that likes to consider themselves 'typical Americans' and are pretty easy to play to for news reporting. Show some local/national disasters (that's terrible but glad it didn't happen to me sigh of relief response), human interest (kids or old people smiling) and 'good' political news generally showing that our government is taking good care of them (viewers) and the world.

As a content editor, you want a happy, wholesome thinking audience that will be receptive to the advertisers products during their average 11-second commercial attention span. If they're upset with 'bad' news, the advertisers are well aware their attention spans will be filled with 'bad' thoughts and it'll be difficult to burn product images into their minds by repetitious commercials.

If you want accurate news reporting on Iraq not biased by US politics, foreign publications are generally your best sources. We've gotten so politically correct in this country that both democrats and Republicans are complaining newspaper reporting is 'influencing' people. Gee, what about that. What is it that they're supposed to be doing?