5W20 or 5W30??

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2003, 05:22 PM
Lightning2Fast
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
most recalls are due to poor parts manufacturing and quality from vendors that ford deals with.....ford doesnt manufacture most of their parts ....have you ever seen a recall on oil....? from any manufacturer????? nuff said.......

Last edited by Lightning2Fast; 10-09-2003 at 06:19 PM.
Old 10-09-2003, 08:16 PM
abarreto
Freshman User
synthetic oil

If the engine has been modified for more power, I highly recommend using synthetic oils. Without any question they are superior and protect components from premature wear and failure. In general 5/30W will give more protection against wear but not all oils brands are the same. Also extremely important is the oil filter. An oil filter whith dimensions smaller than 3" diameter by 5" long is not going to protect well against dirt going into the engine.

Last edited by abarreto; 10-09-2003 at 08:27 PM.
Old 10-09-2003, 08:41 PM
Busa01
Postmaster
I agree that synthetic is a superior lubricant. However, I change my oil every 2K miles so I don't think it's necessary to run Syn. If you like to run 5K in between changes, than Syn is definetely the way to go.

And no, I've never heard of an oil recall, but still, 5w20 is a test monkey and I'm not taking any chances. like I said, even the master tech at Ford suggested running 30 weight.

Either way, thanks everyone for their input. The input I get from the people on this site no doubt helps me make decisions about many aspects of my truck, even if we don't always agree.

Thanks again,

Tom Longo

Old 10-09-2003, 09:05 PM
abarreto
Freshman User
Synthetics

Dear Tom,

With all your due respect, I would like to add that regardless of how often oil is changed, synthetics flashing temperatures are much higher that conventional oils. When demand for power in an engine goes up the top compression rings get very hot. Conventional oils are going to burn around this area, forming gum, varnish and consequently wear. Synthetics will not burn, they will keep lubricating and consequently prevent wear, varnish formation and make the engine stay healthy for many miles.

Respectfully

Old 10-10-2003, 07:16 AM
Busa01
Postmaster
Yes, I completely agree with you 100%.

However, I find Synthetic oils to be rather expensive. My truck takes 6 quarts of oil. And at 5 bucks a quart plus 8 bucks for a filter, we're looking at 38 dollars to change it myselft. And that's alot of change for every 2k miles. Plus before Synthetic was even available, people were getting 250,000 miles out of their engines.

The most important thing, and I think most people don't really do this enough, is to change your oil at regular intervals. I know so many people that say, "oh man, I haven't changed my oil in...hmmm I can't remember when". I've heard this a thousand times.

Frequent consistant oil changes, regardless of what oil you decide to use, is the most important thing you can do for your motor to prolong life.

The worst case of this, in my opinion, is people who drive Honda's. Honda has developed this fantasy rumor that their engines are bullet proof so alot of the people I know who own them say that they don't need to change the oil because, "well, it's a Honda man!". And you know how many Honda's I see on the road blowing black smoke out the tail pipe....ha, it's rather funny.

Anyway, have a great Friday.

Tom

Old 10-10-2003, 05:43 PM
true4.2
Postmaster
I've worked in oil pits for 3 years and I've changed literally 1000's of cars' and trucks' oil. I looked at the difference in oil from a synethic, synthetic blend, full-syntec, regular, and all the weights after the oil comes out from about 3 to 5 thousand miles. It's all dirty and the trucks and cars sound and perform no differently. If you just have a daily driver, synthetic oil is a waste of money. Yes, synthetic oil outperforms normal oil, but it's not worth the difference. I can change the oil in my truck for under $15 every time and I use 10W30 Pennzoil. I've used it all my life and haven't had one problem.

But guess what! If I were to all of a sudden switch to Motorcraft 5W20, I would have absolutely no difference in performance. If you have a ton of parts and your ride is a beast, then and only then would I recommend using stronger oil.

I think this is the mistake people make sometimes: (spoken from an oil tech)

People say the cleaner the oil that comes out of your truck, the better. That's a bunch of bull. If your oil is clean coming out of your truck after 3000 miles, it's not doing its job. Cooling, cleaning, and lubricating are obviously the 3 basic jobs of oil. After about 1500 miles, check your dipstick? What color is your oil? See what I'm saying...

It honestly doesn't matter whether or not you use Pennzoil, Castrol, Motorcraft, Havoline, Valvoline, etc. if you live in a pretty normal climate. Now if you live in colder climates, go to 5W30. If hotter, well you guess!

Old 10-10-2003, 09:31 PM
RYR88
Junior User
I use Mobil 1 10W-30 synthetic with my 4.2. I drive it very hard, in off-road conditions etc... and the 10W-30 seems to do a fairly decent job. I change the oil every 5000 miles and at this interval, the oil is still fairly light in color. I'm not an engineer, but I just feel uncomfortable running something as light as 5W-20 or 5W-30. Most cars throughout time have always run something around 10W-30 or 10W-40, so I stick with that. I also sometimes get the ticking noise, you mentioned. I have 50,000 miles on my truck and it has had that noise since new, so I doubt it's anything to worry about.

Old 10-10-2003, 09:45 PM
pfogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The newer engines are made with much tighter clearances than the older engines. Many of these WILL lose oil pressure with a heavier oil, it can't be pumped in the almost non-exsistent space between the crank and the rods and mains. That is why they recomend the thin water like oil

Old 10-11-2003, 10:07 AM
Busa01
Postmaster
Hm,

I didn't realize this oil toppic would be so contraversial. It's amazing the differences in opinion that everyone has.

Honestly though, True42 holds good point, and I have a lot of mechanic friends who say oil is oil is oil. And these guys have newer type vehicles and run any type oil they have sitting in their garage every time they change the oil, and they all have 180,000 + on their cars and trucks.

So I don't really think it makes any difference at all as long as your changing your oil at regular intervals.

And as far as the "tight" tolerances of the 4.2, It's hard for me to truly believe that Ford, not being the most advanced technology company and does have a name for producing unreliable vehicles, has developed an futuristically new motor with tolerances SO CLOSE that it calls for an advanced technology thin oil, more thin than any other car runs.....come on, I love my truck to death, but this IS Ford were talking about here. Not the brightest bunch of dudes.

Tom

Old 10-11-2003, 10:31 AM
f100guy
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
why are you dissing ford my truck is reliable and it is an 82. until the old motor blew because of me making it backfire with the key. but now. that motor was so crappy it had power but most of it was lost due to blowby, but it lasted a long time like that with me driving it 85 all the time and everyday shooting flames out of the dual pipes from the back. that is why you see all these beat up fords around with the rearend sagging dents rust holes and stripped paint and also exhaust leaks and pipes dragging the ground. ford just lasts a long time. the newer fords i don't really care for since they are injected, they need extra care not the older ones. i just built a ford 302 out of a 90 model block and heads. 60 over about to trade for gt40 heads. (this guy is dumb he wants my heads from a 90 f150 to put on his 93 mustang.) he is going to lose some power. but whatever i am getting so gt40 heads yay. but any way this motor i built is very reliable it does not even have 100 miles on it yet. and it has some power. well what ever bye fords forever.

Old 10-12-2003, 12:57 AM
pfogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ford is not the only manufacturer to require the 5w20 and 5w30 oils. In fact Volkswagen takes 0w15 synthetic, most GM vehicles will not hold oil pressure with anything heavier than 5w30, and almost all Daimler Chrysler products require the 5w30. So why is so hard to believe that Ford requires it as well. As far as that unrelible comment goes, you must just have bad luck. All 3 of my fords have more miles on them than anything else we own mostly GMs and the Fords also run better. In fact my dad just towed an 8k pound trailer from Indiana to ohio a total of over 200 miles with a 1988 1/2 ton club wagon. He had it weighed at the seed farm, total weight trailer and van was 14,340 lbs. It made it with only one problem. It ran a little hot. I just said "told you so" But he made it, and after the van cooled off it ran like a top. I have never seen a Ford vehicle that wasn't rusty after 5 or 6 years. I also have never seen anyone not put more than they payed for their GM into it.

Old 10-12-2003, 12:54 PM
Busa01
Postmaster
I'm not arguing the 30 weight, which is what I am putting in my truck now. I was arguing the 20 weight. And who cares what VW puts in their cars. All German vehicles are freakin crap. On an average, you can't even get 100k out of a volkswagon motor. So who cares what oil they run.

This thread has become nothing more than an opinion based argument and has over served it's purpose. Let's all move on and talk about something else please.

Tom

Old 10-12-2003, 01:53 PM
true4.2
Postmaster
So... who's for TWISTER? I'LL ORDER THE PIZZA!

Old 10-12-2003, 07:11 PM
abarreto
Freshman User
The Truth About Motor Oil

For anyone with the interest of learning something about motor oils that is not familiar with this page, I highly recomend this site:

www.vtr.org/maintain/oil-overview.html

Respectfully,
Ponsik

Old 10-13-2003, 11:24 AM
Busa01
Postmaster
Joseph,

I'm not sure If I know you well enough yet to play twister with you......are there any girls in this thread?

catcha later guys.

Tom

Quick Reply: 5W20 or 5W30??