1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Busted shifter!

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2003, 01:48 AM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Busted shifter!

1983 F-150
300 I-6 engine
"SROD" 4-speed overdrive transmission

The shifter has broken off! Yeah, the shaft that comes up out of the transmission. It's gotta be 1/2 diameter, and it just sheared off. There's about a 2.5" stub of the shaft sticking out above the plate.

The SROD tranny is the one with the shifter coming directly out of the top of the extension housing

I contacted a local dealer, and it turns out the part is discontinued. The guy at the parts counter suggested I get an aftermarket shifter kit. But later I realized this probably isn't possible; it looks like most aftermarket shifters (Hurst, etc.) only work on trannies with external linkages.

Options I'm exploring:
* Boneyard - hope that they'll sell me the shifter assembly, and not make me buy a whole darn transmission. We have few local yards, and nobody has one. I'll be in Detroit soon, but nobody around there seems to have one.
* Poss. aftermarket - maybe this is a common enough problem that there's an aftermarket shifter that interfaces directly with this tranny. So far I haven't found anything via Hurst or B&M.
* Repair - maybe somebody can weld the two pieces together, or since it broke within a sort of "collar" on the lever, maybe it can be adapted to attach to the stub that's left. Actually, a construction guy we met is gonna take a whack at welding it, but I've been told this probably won't last.

I've created a little web page with some photos to better describe what happened (it's kinda hard to describe it in text). So if you're morbidly curious, check out http://userpages.chorus.net/ptoleary/shifter .

Ideas? Help!
TIA,
Paul

Old 10-08-2003, 07:54 AM
locknkey
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It looks like to me that it could be welded, there isn't a lot of "push & Shove" that a normal person can break a welded piece of steel...so with that thought in mind, why not get it welded, then continue to look for that piece from another truck? Surely Ford made more than one.....

Old 10-08-2003, 10:12 AM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Well, no one's ever thought of my wife as "normal", but she managed to break the original solid piece of steel. In any event, the guy who was gonna weld it last night left it between our doors this morning, and it looks like he wasn't able to do it.

Old 10-08-2003, 01:06 PM
locknkey
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Take it to a professional ....

Old 10-09-2003, 11:06 AM
tmh
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The shifter in my 4 speed broke off with just a little tiny piece
left in the transmission. A local weld shop put it back together for me for 20 dollars. It fit perfectly. (Dad said to let the clutch out
to stop the dieseling after the engine shut off, it sheered the shifter one day)