1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

57 ranchero

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2003, 11:31 PM
coleman
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
57 ranchero

Hello Gents nice forum you have here! I have a 57 ranchero w/ 292 and fordomatic that was pretty much a daily driver. after sitting around in the garage for about 10 years ( started maybe 10 times) I decided to get her going again. after cleaning up the carb, fresh oil, coolant etc. she started right up but with a bad miss. bad news...bent a couple of pushrods I guess the valves were stuck. i had some old straight ones in the shed so i installed them, and all looked ok, but still missed and now blows a ton of smoke. I dunno did i break a piston or ring?

Anyway, I was thinking of going to a 302/ 351 ... but after spending some time reading your forum, i want to keep the 292, it sounds like these are good old motors, plus, I dont have any fabrication skills, so i think a rebuild is in order. I figure the added cost will equal out in the end with less headaches changing stuff around.

This engine has top oilers, should i keep these? How do guys feel about the 2 speed fordomatic?

Well, this is my first post here with probably many more to come. Nice to meet you all!

Old 10-07-2003, 06:21 AM
bigwin56f100
Lead Driver
Received 843 Likes on 478 Posts
Welcome aboard to the best place around for ford info.

There has been alot of discussion about the top or over head oilers in the Y_BLOCK forum. If you're going to do a rebuild on the 292 you wont need the oilers anymore as long as you use a good grade of oil and regular oil changes.

Check the Y-Block forum for more details,
Kevin Bigwin

Old 10-07-2003, 07:11 AM
Midnite Cruiser
Senior User
Man, what a nice find!
I messed up during my youth when I had a '57 Fairlane with saggin' springs. A buddy said I could come get the rears out of a Ranchero in the woods near his house.
I shudda pulled out the FIRST YEAR Ranchero and worked on it instead of the sedan! What was I thinkin?

Scroll on down to the YBlock Forum for all the help you can stand on your 292. Its a strong motor, maybe a little expensive on the Y specific parts, but worth the time unless you have swappin experience and or patience and friends. There is also a Ranchero Forum here, but I would guess the 57-59 Ranchero nationalcrowd could meet at any Mc Donalds with room to spare.

THe Fordomatic actually has 3 speeds, cause you can pull the lever down for a first gear. Yes it only operates 2nd and 3rd in auto mode. With the high torge of a Y block, you wont miss 1st for piddlin around town.

You could put in an orignal 3 speed manual OR, yes swap out a full drivetrain from a newer (Ford please) car. It may even run well with a 302 (this is Fender bait, a site guru you may come to know). Watch the side / side clearance of any different motor and accessories--I remember some tall spring upper A arms on '57s

Old 10-07-2003, 09:40 PM
pcmenten
Posting Guru
Another advantage of the 292 is the cool dress-up stuff for the engine; Thunderbird valve covers, three holley 94 two barrel carbs.

That's an especially good year for 292's. Good heads, good rockers, and the block can be bored out. You can turn that 292 into a 312 pretty easily.

I am looking into comversion of the FMX to the Y-block. I think this is a pretty common swap but it requires some odd combination of parts like the Ford-O front pump, torque converter and stuff like that.

Cool truck.

Old 10-08-2003, 07:57 PM
coleman
New User
Thx Guys! actually ive had the rachero since the early 80s and drove it pretty regularly for about the first 5 years as my 2nd car. Then i got better jobs...different cars etc. and it was put in garage only to be taken out rarely at first, then started only rarely, Bed used for storage, You know the story.

Its not in bad shape though, still has the red/ white paint job ( a little faded on top ) no dents, but some rust on the lower fender panels completely through in a couple of spots. all the chrome is there execpt the 'f' in ford on the front, it came off on the freeway when i first got it interior is ok too except the headliner, its all still up but it reminds me of old burlap.

Ive been feeling guilty about walking around it every day and stacking more stuff on and around it, so ive been trying to get fired up on it, I need get some other projects around the house done first. Not to mention my on-going boat repair, but thats another story/ nightmare.

see ya

Dave