1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1960 radio question

Old 10-06-2003, 03:38 PM
transam525
Senior User
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
1960 radio question

As stated in some of my other posts, I am doing a 100% correct factory radio installation in my 1960 F-100 (which did not come with a radio from the factory). I still need a few more parts for the truck and have a couple questions.

1. What size speaker did the 1960 F-100 originally come with, and was it one big speaker or two small speakers in one unit?

2. What is the original part number of the speaker grill?

3. What is the part number of the wiring harness leading to the radio (if it is not part of another harness under the dash)?

4. And does anyone have an exploded parts diagrahm of the radio components (radio, harness, speaker, grill, antenna, etc.)?

Old 10-06-2003, 06:42 PM
mr4speedford
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm working on it right now that template. It looks to be one big speaker. I have a photofact for the radio which I will scan. -4speed

Old 10-06-2003, 06:53 PM
transam525
Senior User
What about the size of the speaker? Is it a 5x9, 5x8, etc.?

Old 10-06-2003, 07:13 PM
mr4speedford
Posting Guru
Once I get that blasted cover off, I'll measure it(somebody stripped the screws). I also looked up that generator Q, and I have a 30amp and a 40 amp listed. It doesn't say anything about which each was used for. -4speed

Old 10-06-2003, 08:43 PM
Kenny
Cargo Master
4speed,
Those speaker grille screws have clip nuts underneath. They are probably spinning on you.

The 57-60 speaker is (one) 5"x7".

Old 10-06-2003, 08:57 PM
mr4speedford
Posting Guru
Thanks kenny Sometimes I don't know what I'd do with out you. -4speed

Old 10-07-2003, 07:55 AM
barry
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've gone thru my 57-63 Ford parts & accessories catalog and there is no decent pic of the radio and dash. ( common problem back then) The speaker grille is part number C0TZ 18985-A, paint to match and can be used with or w/o dash pad equipped trucks. The book lists 2 different size speakers, 5 x 7 or 5 x 9. The listing is rather generic. Most likely the radio harness was a item not available under a separate part number, but only in the acc. kit. There is a reference to basic 14A318, called "accessory wire feed" but no actual part number. Most likely there's a couple of extra plugs off the main harness (14401) that you can tap into. I'm not a expert on these trucks , so I'm not sure how the power is connected directly to the radio chassis (18805) itself. Some had a fuse holder right on the reciever itself. I would say that unless you can find a truck with this stuff intact, you'll have to improvise. Ford used to drop alot of wiring back then and it lists in the catalog to "improvise from bulk wire.

Barry

Old 10-07-2003, 09:46 AM
darkman
Posting Guru
Here is a radio pic that shows some wiring and the bracket to mount to lower dash. I belive the connector you see is a fuse holder and the second is a ground. The speaker hooks to the rear and I have a pic of that if needed. The two protrusions above the left **** on the side are the antenna lead and trimmer (bottom).

Old 10-07-2003, 12:44 PM
barry
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can see the fuseholder in the pic above. You can buy a universal fuse holder and use the matching half and add a longer wire to it. There has to be a plug thats hot or go directly to the ign sw. which is probably where it goes. If you have any old ford wiring harnesses, you can probably find the right style wire in it with the correct end and fabricate a correct looking wire for the radio.

Barry

Old 10-07-2003, 02:38 PM
darkman
Posting Guru
I have resized the dash pic. The original is larger. You can see that the speaker installation is crude. I believe that this is a factory job BUT it sure looks rough. There was not clip nuts on this one just sheet metal screws. Kenny is this a add on maybe dealer install or ???????????

Old 10-07-2003, 03:12 PM
transam525
Senior User
Wow, this becomes more interesting by the day. A few more questions regarding the responses:

1. Does anyone have a part number and/or picture of what this noise supressor looks like, and is in actually inside the generator or mounted outside?

2. Does the radio have two fuses? My 1960 headlight switch doubles as a fuse block, and has a provision labelled radio on it. This was true for both my old original and my new NOS one now installed.

3. What amp fuse does the radio use (for both if it does have two fuses)?

4. Is the picture darkman has actually how the speaker hole was made from the factory (kind of scarry)?

5. Are the nuts which hold the speaker grill on the same style of nuts used to hold on the hood emblems?

6. And last, to clear things up, correct me if I am missing anything. We have an antenna wire from the antenna to the radio, some sort of power wire from the fuse block/headlight switch, a wire to the speaker, and a ground wire from the rear of the radio to the body of the truck?

Old 10-07-2003, 06:54 PM
Kenny
Cargo Master

Charles,
It's definately not a factory install (factory made big holes).
While a dealer install is not impossible, I think it's highly unlikely being that the radio was a factory option and not a dealer option.

Looks to me to be a previous owner installation.

Transam525,
There are several noise suppression items, but the one for the generator is mounted on the outside (back). There are pictures and descriptions of them in the literature that's on it's way to you in the mail.

For the '57-'59 (no fuse block), The radio power lead has the inline fuse, and connects to the "ACC" terminal on the ignition switch.
I'm pretty sure that the 1960 radio (which is the same radio) used the inline fuse as well. The power lead connects to the fuse in the block labeled "radio", which is connected to the Ignition switch "ACC".

The fuses are 5 amp.

The "nuts" used to hold down the speaker grille are small, rectangular, spring steel clips, with a small hole and two slightly bent down tabs in the center. The two tabs "bite" into the screw shaft (best description I could think of).

You should have.....
Power lead
antenna wire
Speaker wire

The radio should be self grounding via the mounting bracket on the bottom, but I suppose another ground wire couldn't hurt. .

Some other info that might help
The model number on the side of the radio de-coded:

Example 94BT 10000
9 = 1959 (Date of manufacture)
4 = 4 TUBES
B = Bendix (Manufacturer)
T = Truck

The rest is the serial number.

Also, when installing your radio......
The shaft and bracket nuts should be torqued to 33 inch pounds of torque.

I hope this helps.

Old 10-07-2003, 08:19 PM
mr4speedford
Posting Guru
transam, I just borrowed a camera from a friend. I will have a template drawn up for you along with a few photo's. Expect this all late tomorrow(school). Just thought I'd update ya. -4speed

Old 10-07-2003, 10:04 PM
Col Flashman
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Do you need a Radio & Grille?
I have an Extra of each.

Last edited by Kenny; 10-08-2003 at 06:22 AM.
Old 10-07-2003, 10:47 PM
transam525
Senior User
I don't know what I would do without you guys.

Kenny:

I'm a little confused as to the radio fuse. So the radio lead (hot) should plug into the fuse block labelled radio but without a fuse actually in the fuse block, but rather inline to the radio for the 1960 model? Also, are you talking about the bracket nuts on the rear of radio, the **** shaft nuts on front, or both regarding those torque specs?

mr4speedford:

I also thank you very much for you assistance so far and all the pictures and the template you are working on. This would be so much easier if they were like newer cars which just had a blank plate installed in the hole With the templates you and Kenny are sending me, the radio installation should be perfect.

Col Flashman:

I could use the radio grill. I already have a radio on the way from a 1959 F-100. If possible, please send a description or picture of the grill. I'm not really concerned with the color, but I need a completely rust-free grill with no broken parts or dents. I'm not sure if the grills varied from 57-60, but if they did, I need a 1960 grill. I also need the trim ring which goes in the dash and the mounting bracket which looks like it goes on the rear of the radio if you have those as well.

Last edited by Kenny; 10-08-2003 at 06:26 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1960 radio question