Air Intake adds 43 hp!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2003, 10:04 AM
Busa01
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fordtrks4fr

I'm sorry to tell you this my friend, but my puney little V6 will kill your 5.0 in the quarter. Buzy sound or not, and I still get 18mpg on the average. Check out my Gallery to see pictures of my motor.

I love the V6. Mine is FAST when I want it to be, and mellow with good gas mileage when I want it to be. The only thing the V8's get you is burn outs, tickets and new tires every 6 months.

The stock Tritan V8 only has 30 more horsepower than the stock V6 on a new F150. And 30 horsepower is easy to get on the V6. I'm pulling over 300 hp now on mine. The V6 is a great versitile motor. Granted, the V8 does sound better (to my ears) with dual cats out the back, but my 6 sounds really nice too!

Tom

Old 10-06-2003, 10:39 AM
will-work -for-mud
Senior User
Tom Longo, I'm not trying to put down your truck in any way. I was just curious at how your got 300hp out of that 6-cylinder. Thats pretty wild man. I have a lot more mods to go before I get 300 out of mine. What is the stock hp rating on your truck? I think to get 300hp out of mine I will have to go with a larger throttlebody, some headers, new upper and lower intake manifold, and new heads. That doesn't include all the mods I have done so far.
Curiously contemplating,
Landon

P.S. I have had the tires on my truck for about 17,000 miles and they are only about half wore out. And they are mudgrips.

Old 10-06-2003, 11:02 AM
Busa01
Postmaster
Landon,

Easily done.

1) Exhaust (of course)
2) Free flowing intake
3) Diablo chip (give you back the torque you lost with the first 2 mods)
4) Drop your gears to 4.10 (this makes a HUGE difference in transfering power to the ground)
5) Nitrous Oxide!!!! Bang for the buck, the best thing you can do for your truck....not to mention how much freakin fun it is to tinker with all the neat stuff. It takes a little learning, but it's all part of the fun.

2003 F150 V6 stock about 202 HP. + 75 shot nitrous, + 20 Diablo chip, + 8 Airaid Intake, + 7-10 exhaust = 315.

However, you have to remember that each individual piece works off of each other. The horsepower actuall compounds. For example, if you gain 8 from an intake and 20 from a chip, you would assume that you now have 28 additional horsepower. That's incorrect, because they work off of each other the horsepower actually compounds. The two combined together may give you 32 horsepower.

Forget about going inside your motor for now. That's the most expensive way to go, because if your going in you might as well do it all, cams, lifter, valves, rods, rockers, timing chain, torque converter....now your talking big bucks.

Do your research first, it really pays off. For instance, I think that you could have saved some money and passed on the Tornado and the throttle body spacer. These devices aren't actually proven to do anything.

The chip you've already got...good. The cold air intake and exhaust....good. Drop your gears to a 4.10 (I don't know what your cost on this will be because of the 4X4)....then spray it with nitrous and get your delta chip's 3rd setting reprogrammed for the nitrous. Nitrous is safer on your motor than a turbo or a supercharger, because you only use it when you want it, whereas the turbo or supercharger run all the time. All 3 do exactly the same thing. Nitrous is 500 bucks and a supercharger is 3500 bucks, that's a no brainer.

Tom

Old 10-06-2003, 01:18 PM
TorqueKing
Posting Guru
Tom,

Please post a timeslip or a dyno result sheet before you talk HP and TQ numbers. You are out of your mind if you think that your combo even with a 75 shot of gas is going to make 300 HP on the dyno. Even if you did, you have no chance on putting it to the wheels. With a stock torque converter, you're not gaining the full benefit of the nitrous anyway, as the insane torque boost causes the converter to balloon and slip, or just plain break if it's locked up. I know you think your ride is fast because you have 4.10's in it, but anything would be fast with 4.10s. Please, please don't talk about a V6 with your ricer-esque mods dusting off a 5.0. Go to school, or put yours up on the dyno. It's funny that the V8 owners here don't throw the number 300 around as optimistically as you do, and a V8 has a great deal more potential than a V6. TK

Old 10-06-2003, 01:32 PM
Busa01
Postmaster
TorqueKing.

Everyone knows that engine horsepower and rear wheel horsepower are 2 completely different animals. I'm strictly refering to engine horsepower.

And excuse me for defending my V6. You would have done the same if someone were insulting your V8.

It is factual, that the 4.2L V6 2003 engine has 202 horsepower, not rear wheel, and the 2003 4.6L V8 has about 230. That's not much difference. And I do beat Tritan V8's quite often.

You are very good at stating the obvious though. Obviously, a larger displacement engine would have more potential for horsepower than a smaller displacement engine. I think I learned that in 3rd grade.

The message that I was trying to relay is that the V6 Ford motor is not a piece of jap crap and has great potential for becoming a fast motor whilst still conserving gas.

You see, you don't like it either when people dis your motor. I think you had some veins popping out of your forehead when you were typing your reply, right?

Point made.

Tom

Old 10-06-2003, 01:41 PM
Busa01
Postmaster
Ahh now I see Mr. Torque King.

Not all of us are 21 years old with all day to sit around and tear apart our engines with complete overhauls. Some of us actually work for a living and are limited on time. This is what you've done to your truck...I think you need a job.

World Windsor Jr. heads (1.94/1.60" valves)
Hyd. Roller, Explorer "Hi-Torque" cam
Crane Energizer Roller Rockers, 1.6 Ratio
Comp High Energy heat treated pushrods
Crane Blazer double roller timing set
MSD 6A ignition controls
MSD Blaster II coil
MSD Pro-Billet distributor w/vacuum advance
Weiand Action-Plus aluminum dual-plane intake
Spectre 4-hole aluminum 1" carb spacer
Edelbrock 600 cfm vacuum secondary carb
14" K&N open elament air cleaner
Flow-tech long tube, small primary headers
Copper/brass 4 core radiator
Permacool 16" HiPo electric cooling fan

Hydraulic lifter preload: .030"
cam is installed at 106 degree intake centerline (4 deg. advanced)
Timing set 36 degrees total, 14 initial.
It still runs on 87 octane detonation-free
Milodon baffled oil pan, Melling HV pump

Excuse me if my life doesn't revolve around hanging out in the garage with my friends all day drinking beers and wrenching on our vehicles. I'm proud of what I've accomplished with my brand new truck in the 3 months that i've owned it. Perhaps one day you'll be able to afford a new one too.

Tom

Old 10-06-2003, 01:51 PM
TorqueKing
Posting Guru
I honestly thought it was a sarcastic post, because no knowledgable person can mention the 3 phrases: "easy", "300 HP", and "V6" in the same post. I will certainly not try to defend the 4.6, I place it in the same category as the V6, in "things to never buy". Ford's 4.2 certainly does not have great potential for being fast, unless you put it in a vehicle that weighs about 1,500 lbs. It is a fine daily driver, I'm not messing with that, but be realistic when it comes to performance.

BTW, what's up with no timeslip? The only way you could beat a similarly-geared Windsor motor is if you fell the last 1/8 mile off a cliff!

On the other hand, I do like you because you enjoy what you have, and that's all that really matters. You certainly share my hobby as well, because you have actually done real modicifactions to a vehicle, unlike our rice-rockin' counterparts. TK

Old 10-06-2003, 01:54 PM
Busa01
Postmaster
And your wrong about the torque converter. My NX kit has a progressive feed computer that gradually increases the shot pressure from 10% to 100% over a 5 second boost. I installed this just to solve the torque converter problem because it is a new truck and I don't want to drop the tranny all over the track.

Old 10-06-2003, 01:57 PM
TorqueKing
Posting Guru
Okay, thanks for getting me started:

I graduated from The Citadel with a degree in Civil and Environmental Engineering at age 21, on May 10, 2003. I started work on May 13, 2003 as a geotechnical/civil engineer. Yes, I have a job. I'm now 22 years old, and a certified E.I.T. with 7 months experience in design and consulting experience. I do sit around on weekends and drink beer, watch football and wrench on my truck. Yeah, I hope I can afford a new truck one day- yeah right. Some people really are gearheads, and build daily drivers because they don't want to be slaves to monthly payments like you.

Old 10-06-2003, 02:04 PM
Busa01
Postmaster
Torque King,

I'm not a wrencher, although I'm not an idiot either. Now I know I'm not skilled enough to dive into total engine disassembly and internal parts and so forth, but i've only had my truck for 3 months and i've done a ton of stuff to it already. At the rate I'm going, it will be a custom show winner by the time I have it paid off.

Will it do 13's in the quarter??? NO of course not, that's silly. The truck is a freakin elephant, or at least as heavy as one. I didn't buy it for racing, although I'm certainly enjoying the racing part of it.

I have slips to post, and I will post them. I think your going to be suprised. I have my chip out being reprogrammed to accomodate the nitrous right now, but when I get it back I'll run it at Moroso and I can promise you that I'll pull mid 15's with it. And for what my truck is, that's fantastic! 4.2L super cab, automatic, fully loaded, heavy as a tank, truck pullin' 15's?? Fagetaboutit ! At our track, lightly modified Tritan V8's are pulling 17's.

So give me a break man!

Tom

Old 10-06-2003, 02:19 PM
TorqueKing
Posting Guru
How does that 40 series delta-flow Flowmaster sound? I ordered a pair from Jeg's last week, I can't wait! I'll bet they even sound good behind that beehive of yours.

I'm just messing with you man, see above for appropriate recognition of respect. The beauty of your truck is that you could not only beat your favorite pro-street Honda at Moroso, but you could do it with a Toyota in the back going with you!

Old 10-06-2003, 03:27 PM
Busa01
Postmaster
True, and my truck won't break down half way down the track like the japs do. All them things do is delay my fun. Every other one breaks down in the middle of a run, or worse yet, over reving it while doing burnouts prior to staging and blowing the motor.

As a matter of fact, Saturday night I had 2 blow up right in front of me. On guy with a Mazda rx7 talking all kinds of crap about his rotary engine blew up before he even closed the door to his car. The announcer yelled, "sportsman load up". He got into his car, started it, showing off his loud exhaust he reved it to 11K and blew the motor. I had to get out of my truck and push him out of the way.

Another guy in front of me was getting ready to stage his brand spankin new 35K 350Z Nissan (a nice looking car but not built for drag racing), did a burn out and dropped the tranny. They were picking parts up from all over the staging area and the announcer was busting on him about hoping his jap car was still under warranty.

As far as the flow master is, it really does sound good at lower rpm's, nice little growl, but does get buzzy in the upper rev range.

Still though, you have to realize my background to appreciate where I'm coming from. I raced motorcycles and ridden them for almost my whole life. I'm new to the car/truck drag racing scene. I don't know a whole heck of a lot about car engines, i'm still learning and learning pretty quickly.

My friends and co-workers don't understand why i spend money trying to make my truck go faster. They ask, "if you wanted a fast car to drag race, why didn't you just by a viper or a corvette?".

And I say, "we'll what's so fun about that?" Anyone can go out and "BUY" a fast car and take it to the strip and race it. But to take something that's not really meant to go fast and MAKE it fast with you own two hands, week by week, month by month with your own sweat, researching the internet and then watching your times come down every week......THAT'S WHAT IT'S ALL ABOUT. And surely you can relate to that with me.

When I bought the truck, I had no interest in making it fast, i didn't care. I have a 205 mph Suzuki Huyabusa 1300r for that. The fastest production vehicle on the planet. I just bought the truck to have something to put my bike in the back of so I can go to Tennessee and stuff.

After I started tinkering with the trucks little V6 motor, I said "Hmmmmm, i wonder how fast I can make this thing go". And have been playing with it ever since.

Had I bought a truck knowing I would be dragging it, I would probably have gotten the Lightning. But I don't think that would be as challenging or as rewarding as making a slow truck fast....So you see, I'm glad I bought the V6, just for that reason.

It's a long term project. And I'm going to see just how fast I can make this V6 go. And when I do start blowing of lightly modified or stock 4.6 mustangs, I'm going to place "4.2L V6" stickers all over my truck just so they look at me afterward and go "what the heck?? how did that freakin guy beat me?" I think that would be cool.

What can I say, I'm having too much fun and nobody can ruin that for me. Give me at least a full year with it and 1 of 2 things will happen..

1) The little V6 is going to freaking scream and be #1 in it's class.

or

2) I'll blow the freakin thing to pieces trying.

Wish me luck.

Tom

Old 10-06-2003, 03:49 PM
TorqueKing
Posting Guru
Words of a genuine car crafter!

You're absolutely right, it's not about where you are, but where you're going. If you can get a V6-motivated elephant into the 15's, then you're not only and enthusaist, but you're good at it! TK

Old 10-06-2003, 07:32 PM
Busa01
Postmaster
Well, actually Torque, I've learned most of what I know so far from guys like you on this site. This site has been a great source of knowledge for me. Sometimes I make mistakes but I don't find out about them until I mention something on this site and someone tells me I made a mistake. But we live and learn.

Earlier, you mentioned something about my stock torque converter, wich slips until about 1800 rpm. Now, my max torque, according to Ford, is achieved at 3200. However I've so far been told that going that high on a converter would generate too much heat and that I should stick to around 2600. This is one upgrade I want to make before I try to make my truck faster, because I don't want to be one of those guys dropping my tranny half way down the track. Question is, do I need a bigger tranny radiator if I go with the 2600 and will it screw up my daily driving by reving my motor to 2600 rpm every single time i casually step on the gas at a traffic light? Perhaps you can share some of your experience with me. I definately want to strengthen things up first before i try to get more oomph out of the motor. I am also awaiting a Transgo shift kit, which wont be out for another 4 months for my truck, according to Transgo.

what are your suggestions.

Tom

Old 10-06-2003, 08:53 PM
fordtrks4fr
Senior User
i never put down the possibility of power in a 6 or less, i rode in a taurus sho that dusts mustangs, and knew another guy with a 4 banger probe that could almost hang with him, when i worked at a ford dealer i saw some crazy stuff, but i was saying i merely prefer the sound of a throaty v8, i could care less how fast it gets me to the grocery store a guy i used to work with had over 30,000 dollars into his car, but i am old school, hand me a beater with straight pipes any day, i have also heard of some crazy stuff that can be done to those inline sixs, doesnt mean i am condoning the use of anything un-american, that would be unpatriotic, i dont care if it says made in japan anywhere on my ford it is still a ford, na na naboo boo

Quick Reply: Air Intake adds 43 hp!