1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Horrible Turning Radius - Help?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2003, 02:28 PM
FoxFly
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Horrible Turning Radius - Help?

Is there any way, low cost, that I can improve the turning radius of my truck (03, F250 SD 4x4 CC, SB, PSD). It's stock now. Driving around town and getting into parking spaces is killing me. From what I have read, at about 60' I think it's the worst turning radius out there, Dodge and Chevy is about 10' shorter. Also is there a good way to increase the steering boost?

Old 10-02-2003, 02:57 PM
jade97
More Turbo
Received 75 Likes on 45 Posts
Your truck is roughly 21' long. Not much you can do except come up with a rear steering system.

Don't worry about it, you'll get used to it.

I went from a Dodge Avenger (4cyl 5spd) car to a F250SD CC SB 4x4 V10. I can't even fit this truck in my garage!

Old 10-02-2003, 04:07 PM
Jlower
Senior User

It does make you wonder if someone will find a way to combine the weight capacities of the superduty with quad steering. The Army uses a truck nicknamed the HEMETT there is a variant of it with 4 axle ( 2 front/ 2 back) . Each axle is powered but with the front two sets being the steering sets. With that big a drive and steering combination the steering axles have to be more capable than what we're using on the superdutys. Just have to shrink it down to make it feesable.

It seems like the know how and technology is there just not the market for normal users like us.

Just imaging what you could accomplish with that capability in our trucks. That would be cool !

Old 10-02-2003, 04:11 PM
haroutd
Posting Guru
Location: I'm lost somewhere in NJ -- can someone please find me?!?!?!?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome to the wonderful world of big trucks. Take not of your surroundings before you turn on your turn signal. Plan every move you make in the parking lot. When returning to a parked vehicle map out your excape vector in advance. Learn the best angle to drive over curbs without leaving marks on your tires. Remember that U-turns require a one square mile area to complete. And when all else fails, just drive right over anything in your path (it helps to have big tires and possibly a monster-truck lift for this one).

The only suggestion I can make is to have a heavy-duty steel push bumper and/or V-plow shaped device installed . Won't decrease the turning radius, but it will help you clear the path.

P.S. -- your Crew Cab Short Box has a 56.55' turning diameter. That's still 5' less than my SuperCab Long Box... you've got it easy compared to some of us.

Old 10-02-2003, 05:01 PM
RRMike
Posting Guru
Try it with 38 inch tires that hit the leaf springs further limiting your turning ability. I can't even get through some drive through's.

Old 10-02-2003, 06:08 PM
Tony1790
Senior User
I have a 4x4 Crew Cab, Long Bed with a very tall topper on it. During the first 2 weeks that I had the truck I almost took it back, due to the fact that I was running over curbs, couldn't turn around in the same state, etc. But now I don't even notice, I go lock to lock on turns and don't even think about u-turns. I now strategically park without even thinking about it.

There was mention of the HMTT Army truck, I used to drive those back in my younger days over in Germany with the Army. It was challenging driving through those small streets with a Big truck that was hooked up to a tractor trailer that contained 4 live, big missles mounted. I'm not sure but I think that the HMTT has a better turning radius than my Crew Cab does.

Anywho, I'm in the Coast Guard now which makes me think about getting port and starboard running lights for my land yacht. I already have the matching Cab lights

But I do have a question for you lifted fellows, would a mild 4.5" lift with 35 BFG AT reduce the turning radius at all? That's what I plan on doing with my truck and even though I drive it well, I can't afford ANY increase in the turning radius.

Thanks and have fun turning around.

Tony in Alaska

Old 10-02-2003, 07:02 PM
Panzerbrumbar
Senior User
Yes be very careful where you park. I got stuck a resturant for an hour the first week I owned mine becuase of the size cc lb but you will get used to it. I think this one turns better then my 96 Chev ext lb 3/4 but the 305's on that pickup might have had something to do with it.

Old 10-02-2003, 07:13 PM
Yeti
Post Fiend
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by Tony1790

But I do have a question for you lifted fellows, would a mild 4.5" lift with 35 BFG AT reduce the turning radius at all? That's what I plan on doing with my truck and even though I drive it well, I can't afford ANY increase in the turning radius.

Tony in Alaska

Depending on the width of the tire, yes it can reduce your radius due to the tire rubbing on the spring at full lock.

Old 10-02-2003, 07:41 PM
DCSpecial
Post Fiend
Originally posted by Tony1790

Tony in Alaska

If you mount those 35" BFGs on the stock 16x7 wheels then yes, they will hit the leaf pack before you hit the steering stops. I have 35" BFGs on 16.5x9.75 wheels and don't even come close to the leaf pack though.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-02-2003, 08:46 PM
mike_wsu
New User
There is a reason you have mirrors and reverse... it makes parking a long truck ohh so much easier. And it is easier to get out of a parking spot.

turning a round who does that... just go around the block or do a lawn job in the process of turning around

-Sarge

Old 10-02-2003, 09:31 PM
02superstroker
Posting Guru
ill agree with one of mike_wsu statements.. back into every parking spot. It is way easier to get in, and a lot easier to get out. After a while of driving these things it is second nature.. RRMike.. yeah these 38's rubbing the leafs have great turning radius!!

Old 10-02-2003, 11:47 PM
haroutd
Posting Guru
I back in for 2 reasons... the first is ease of entry & egress, B is ease of using my mirrors to guide me in. Fourthly, in some parking lots where there the spot ends at a curb or other extension rather than the beginning of a new spot, there's extra room for me to back in. Rather than being limited to how deep the front end goes until the front tires touch the curb, I can get quite a bit of the bed over the curb before the rear tires touch. Leaves me sticking out a lot less, decreasing chances some idiot will clip me. Now I try to find 4 spots in the rear of the paring lot in an empty area & take all 4 of them. A truck this big is too easy to scratch/ding by idiots.

I'll never forget my test drive... first time I drove anything so big. I didn't even try to park the truck in its narrow spot when we got back. Stopped, handed the keys to the salesman, and said "I love the truck, but you're gonna' be the one who puts this round peg in the square hole." Took me 2 days of driving to adjust fully... a couple months later and I have better control & quicker driveway/tight maneuvers than some of my Honda & BMW driving friends. It helps when you can drive over anything less than 1 foot tall. You should see me parallel park the beast!

Last edited by haroutd; 10-02-2003 at 11:51 PM.
Old 10-03-2003, 01:10 PM
Jlower
Senior User

Tony1790,
I didn't mean to imply that the turning radius of the HEMTT was better than your truck. I was just musing about adapting a steering system with that load capacity to a superduty 4 wheel steering system. That instead of fixed rear axles. It would keep the same if not greater load capacity plus Quad steering to an 21' vehicle.

Old 10-03-2003, 06:29 PM
jaxf250
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yeah, you get used to it like jade97 said. Takes a few months. Also, whoever mentioned backing into spots is right on. I back into a space whenever I can to get out more easily. Man, if I had the 8' bed I would probably need an infield to turn around in!

Old 10-03-2003, 10:11 PM
haroutd
Posting Guru
Does anyone else parallel park their truck head first instead of tail first? If I've got an extra 6-8 feet in the parking space, I can drive forward at an angle, tire over the curb, cut the wheel, drop the tire back onto the street, and straighten out, without ever changing gears other than from D to P when I'm done. I've had a few non-truck friends drop their jaws on that one! Haven't hit a pedestrian or street sign yet

Quick Reply: Horrible Turning Radius - Help?