Computer Chips & Tuners  

Programming?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2003, 08:24 AM
vbdotnetdev
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Programming?

When you program a chip are you changing the actual code that is run inside the ECU or just changing the parameters it uses? Can you reprogram the ECU directly? What do you need to Program chips and/or ECU? What language do you use to program the ECU/chips?
I'm a senior in Computer Science and know more about computers than cars, so it seems like I should be doing my own custom computer modifications and let someone else do my exhaust and intake and everthing else.
Does anyone know if there are classes anywhere to learn how to program these things?

Thanks

Old 10-01-2003, 08:42 AM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: Programming?

Originally posted by vbdotnetdev
When you program a chip are you changing the actual code that is run inside the ECU or just changing the parameters it uses?
Mostly 2 and 3 dimensional tables and some switches in the ROM. Some less common things are actually executable changes.

Can you reprogram the ECU directly?
Yes, this is what a Microtuner does. The EEC-IV ECU has a flash ROM. Older EEC-IV computers don't.

What do you need to Program chips and/or ECU?
Proprietary software and hardware. Some systems can use the Tweecer.

What language do you use to program the ECU/chips?
The ECU's use a modified version of Intel microcontrollers.

I'm a senior in Computer Science and know more about computers than cars, so it seems like I should be doing my own custom computer modifications and let someone else do my exhaust and intake and everthing else.
If you don't know the details of modern fuel injected tuning then you shouldn't be doing it. Getting the fuel too lean, the timing too advanced, the tranny parameters wrong, etc., will result in serious damage to your vehicle.

Does anyone know if there are classes anywhere to learn how to program these things?
No, not yet. There are tools from Diablo and Superchips coming out that will let you play around with parameters in the ECU, but there are no classes teaching you how to use them. Its not for the casual person thinking they can squeeze more horsepower out themselves than the chip companies do (some of their tuners have been at it for 20 years). If you're a gearhead willing to risk losing an engine and you play around with serious horsepower engines then it may be worth looking into. The investment is not cheap when you factor the hardware needed besides just the tuning hardware, such as wideband O2, access to a dyno facility, etc. And don't forget the saying "you are your own warranty station!"

Old 10-01-2003, 09:28 AM
vbdotnetdev
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the input. It is deffinetly something I am interested in learning how to do, not so I can try and squeeze out more power than the chip companies, but so I can say I did it myself. I wouldn't start messing with my computer until I knew what I was doing. I'm sure dyno time would be expensive especialy since I would need a 4wheel dyno.
Speaking of 4wheel, when you program the chips can you disable the traction control so it will run RWD only and not engage the front when it senses slip? I have a 2002 Ford Explorer 4x4 4dr 4.0L w/ M5OD trans, not sure what the differencial is though but inside the truck I have 3 buttons, 4X4 Auto, 4X4 High, and 4X4 Low. It would be nice to be able to make 4x4 Auto RWD only with a custom chip with a switch. Can that be done?

Old 10-06-2003, 07:07 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
In some cases traction control can be defeated. This is considered custom programming but naturally there wouldn't be a charge if it couldn't be done. Can't make it 4x2 though.