Modular V10 (6.8l)  

changed plugs + fuel filter

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2003, 06:39 PM
V10KLZZ71S
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up changed plugs + fuel filter

Had my plugs + fuel filter changed[started to do it myself but said naah!].I guess the performance drop is gradual and you dont notice it, but i sure do have more pickup now.The plugs were the prettiest color -tan i have ever seen. No carbon, no ash, but were worn.The electrode tip had a indent worn in it where the spark hits, and the electrode had been worn down and was pretty rounded.Fuel filter was pretty clogged could not blow thru to easy.Tested the tps volts and was ok, did a code scan and everything is ok.I feel better now looking at my plugs that my a/f ratio is good.

Old 10-01-2003, 09:16 AM
shorebird
Hotshot
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
V10KLZZ71S how many miles on the plugs when you changed them?

Old 10-01-2003, 02:47 PM
ken04
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: changed plugs + fuel filter

Originally posted by V10KLZZ71S
Had my plugs + fuel filter changed[started to do it myself but said naah!].I guess the performance drop is gradual and you dont notice it, but i sure do have more pickup now.The plugs were the prettiest color -tan i have ever seen. No carbon, no ash, but were worn.The electrode tip had a indent worn in it where the spark hits, and the electrode had been worn down and was pretty rounded. Fuel filter was pretty clogged could not blow thru to easy.Tested the tps volts and was ok, did a code scan and everything is ok.I feel better now looking at my plugs that my a/f ratio is good.
I don't know about the V-10, but many Fords nowadays have what Ford calls a "fine wire, low resistence plug". When I pulled the plugs out of my wife's car I thought they were worn because the tips were very small, but actually it's how they're made. The tip was small, rounded and I thought, worn. After a lenghty, lenghty go around with the car not running right I discovered that the Autolite plugs I replaced my plugs with weren't the correct fine wire, low resistence plugs her car needed to run correctly. Just FYI.

Old 10-01-2003, 05:32 PM
V10KLZZ71S
Fleet Mechanic
SHOREBIRD,73,780. e-mail me if you can meet somewhere close to stateline for coffee.

KEN, the electrode was somewhat deformed, what ever side is near the exhaust valve catches the most hell,plus the tip had a dip somewhat worn into it where the spark hits.They looked good, but on close inspection they needed to be replaced.So much for 100,000 miles.I had my friend at his repair shop install them, brought my own anti-sieze+ die-electric grease.

Old 10-02-2003, 12:24 PM
ken04
Posting Guru
KEN, the electrode was somewhat deformed, what ever side is near the exhaust valve catches the most hell,plus the tip had a dip somewhat worn into it where the spark hits.They looked good, but on close inspection they needed to be replaced.So much for 100,000 miles.I had my friend at his repair shop install them, brought my own anti-sieze+ die-electric grease.
Sorry, I wasn't trying to tell you your plugs were OK, just giving some insight into a mistake I made in thinking the fine wire plugs I pulled out of my wifes car were worn. They were but not in the way I thought. At 100,000 miles they surely needed to be replaced, whether they were visibly worn or not.

Old 10-02-2003, 01:54 PM
V10KLZZ71S
Fleet Mechanic
NO NO KEN,i didn't think that.I understand what you were saying, and thanks for the info,thats what we are all here for , to share any info we have.Thanks.

Old 10-02-2003, 03:39 PM
ken04
Posting Guru
NO NO KEN,i didn't think that.I understand what you were saying, and thanks for the info,thats what we are all here for , to share any info we have.Thanks.
Yessir, you be right, now somebody share with me the name and address of the scumbag that stole our car last night and I will be happy, in a bit, as soon as I introduce them to Mr Fist and then Mr Knife and then finally Mr Gun. Sheesh,,, do you know what a bummer it is to walk out of your house and your car is missing ? I mean for a while you think it's YOU. That you can't remember where you parked it, then you suspect your wife, then your kids, then, it S L O W L Y dawns on you that it's none of the above. Bad day, sorry.

Old 10-02-2003, 03:53 PM
V10KLZZ71S
Fleet Mechanic
Sorry about your car, if you find them intro them to mr gun and you wont need the first two.I had a GS 1100 Suzuki stolen from me years ago and it is a sickening feeling.I found him and the bike 2 yrs later, cops got him before i did.Good luck.

Old 10-03-2003, 09:01 AM
bigdmizer
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
invest in LOJACK

Those Lo-jack systems are cool. They work well too. Once bitten twice shy if you know what I mean.

Old 10-03-2003, 01:04 PM
ken04
Posting Guru
Re: invest in LOJACK

Originally posted by bigdmizer
Those Lo-jack systems are cool. They work well too. Once bitten twice shy if you know what I mean.
Definitely the new rig we bot last night will get the Lo-Jac, it's an awesome system. To be perfectly honest, I had been trying to pawn off her car for the last 2 months, but no takers. So I couldn't have scripted a better scenario had I tried. The ins co paid off the car, they found it, it had been 'joy ridden' to death, all the windows busted out, the tires slashed, the seats cut up and set on fire, the engine was blown, etc. I hate to see that happen to what was a great little car but I WAS trying to trade it for a Suzuki XL-7 for 2 months. So we called my buddy at the Suzuki/Ford stealership where I do most all my business and he just happened to have a 1 year old, low mile, loaded XL-7. Pretty wild if I do say so myself, but I aint complainin too loudly.

Old 10-03-2003, 04:16 PM
shorebird
Hotshot
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I swear I was in mississippi for the last 72hrs.

I have seen something about a system like a Lojac that lets you go on the computer and see where the car is and where it has been. It an idea people are using to check on where their kids are driving. I saw it in a story about someones car being stolen and he was able to tell the police where to find it. "You say your was stolen, but you know where it is, Yea right."

Last edited by shorebird; 10-03-2003 at 04:31 PM.
Old 10-03-2003, 06:36 PM
jaxf250
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Guys ----- 48,000 on my V10 now. Should I change plugs soon?
If so, do I use Motorcraft or something else (Bosch, NGK, other...)?

Thx.

Old 10-03-2003, 10:47 PM
deanwa
New User
102,700 Miles and Changing Plugs Tomorrow

Well I made it over 100,000 miles on the original plugs. I started noticing an occasional miss at low RPM at about 99,000 but it has not gotten worse since.

I guess we'll see if a weekend mechanic is up to the task.

Old 10-04-2003, 03:40 AM
bigdmizer
Elder User
Good luck with that back passenger side plug!
Make sure you have some socket extensions handy

Old 10-05-2003, 07:11 AM
V10KLZZ71S
Fleet Mechanic
After putting some miles since plugs + filter change, i think this along with some occasionally detonation [run premium all the time and sometimes it will ping on shifts] i think my truck is running real well again, evidenced by me blowing away a new chevy 1500 slowarado "w/a VORTEC" like the guy said, he even waited for me to get alongside of him to smoke him.He said whats in there? V10! He said Ive got a vortec, i said oh.I did run some good octane boost in one tank and it seemed to help with performance.My recent dyno time did not indicate,but my truck is haulin butt again! Yah Whooo!