Oil & Lubrication  

More oil concerns

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2003, 11:23 AM
brcowan
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question More oil concerns

I posted this on the V10 forum but thought it would be a good idea to post it here also.

I changed the oil & filter on my 2000 F250 V10 (4x4, AT, Supercab) for the first time, 4500 miles ago, two days after I got it. No oil on the dipstick prior to the change and drained 2.5 quarts of dirty oil from the pan and filter (no idea of when the last change was). I have been driving mostly on the highway with only 1 day of towing a small trailer and have put 4500 miles on it in 1 month. Used 6.5 quarts of 5W30 Mobil 1 synthetic and a Baldwin filter. I was checking my dipstick at every gas fill (that’s a lot of checks by the way) on a trip to North Carolina and it was always fine. Have recently been driving 70 miles each way twice a week on the Interstate and just checked the stick to find nothing on it. Please don’t exile me from the site, but I had not checked my dipstick for about two weeks before this. Drained the pan of only 3.5 quarts of slightly dirty oil, but not bad. No signs of leaks and not smoking (truck runs great). So, basically, the truck has used almost 3 quarts on oil in the past 3000 miles. Is this normal for a V10?

I just changed the oil and filter again; 6.5 quarts of Castrol 5W30 dino and a Baldwin filter. I’ll keep more accurate checks on it this time and let everyone know how it goes.
BTW, no dummy lights activated and factory oil pressure gauge reading fine when I got the truck with only 2.5 quarts of oil in it. Needless to say, I’ll be installing extra “real� gauges soon. Any comments on the Baldwin filters? Does anyone know how good the anti drain back valve is on this filter?

Old 09-30-2003, 08:50 PM
jim henderson
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sounds pretty high oil usage to me, but then I don't know about V10s.

But from your first comment that you drained only 2.5 QT of oil from the pan and filter at your first change, that is trouble. It has been my experience that every engine I have ever run too low on oil(even if the low oil pressure light doesn't come on) has burned the rear and or front main seal. This leads to constant leaking and high consumption. Like I said every engine I did this to had that problem afterwards.

My guess is you have leaky seals and all you oil is going into the dirt. They will leak more with use and don't leak much just sitting. Check the bottom of your bell housing and the front of the timing chain cover. Bet you got a leak. Only sure fix is to replace the seals.

2.5Qt of drained oil is too little for almost any normal sized engine. Even if it didn't set the oil light, you probably starved it during high speeds and acceleration. Hope nothing else got damaged by lack of oil.

Good Luck,

Jim Henderson

Old 10-01-2003, 01:04 AM
horsepuller
Post Fiend
Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts
I would start a log to record when you check the oil level and where it reads at. Record the date and milage you check it and every time you have to add a quart of oil.

After you have some good data recorded, present a copy of your log to the dealer and leave the truck with them for inspection. If the dealer says it's normal or will diminish as it breaks in, continue recording in your log. If it continues it's high oil usage, return to the dealer with your log and give them a second chance to make it right. If you don't get satisfaction from the dealer, contact Ford's customer service department.

Old 10-01-2003, 09:12 AM
ggarrahan
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
brcowan-Did you purchase the truck used? If so, I don't see how the dealer could help. And, you may have discovered why the previous owner sold it.

Old 10-01-2003, 10:49 AM
brcowan
Junior User
Thanks for the info guys, I'll check for the leaks that you mentioned as soon as I get back to the states.

Old 10-01-2003, 04:52 PM
jimandmandy
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Some of the 4.6 OHC engines have had unusually high oil usage. If the V-10 is basically the same head design, then you could get the same problem. Because of the extra oil that is needed to lubricate the cam and lifters, a lot more oil is pumped up there than on the old pushrod engines. Any problem with valve stem seals would be amplified. I agree with Scott. You have to start keeping good records of this for a possible warranty remedy.

Jim

Old 10-01-2003, 10:20 PM
brcowan
Junior User
The truck is deffinately not under warrenty, but I'll start keeping good records to help diagnose the problem. Thanks for the input everyone.