Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Ranger & B-Series
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series modelsSPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-29-2003, 07:02 AM
Freshman User

tlk401 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Update on fuel line quick connect repair

I posted a message a few weeks ago about repairing the quick connect fuel lines found on many Ford and Mazda vehicles. I was attempting to replace my fuel filter and simply could not get one side of the fuel filter to come loose no way no how. I was asking if anyone new where I could find a replacement fitting or repair kit. Well, NAPA auto stores sells a whole line of these for virtually any vehicle. The kit contains the quick connect fitting attached to about 18 inches of fuel line and a connecting barb for splicing the fuel lines together. You have to know your existing nylon fuel line size as they come in various sizes.

I removed my fuel filter Sunday afternoon by cutting my existing short seciton of nylon fuel line and disconnecting the one side I could. The instructions say to warm the tubing supplied with the kit in warm water and slide the barb in. You also do this to your existing fuel line. No clamps are supplied. The quick-connect fitting worked fine, fit perfectly into the replacement filter and no leaks but the spliced line is another story. The high pressure of the fuel pump is too much for the connection and both sides of the splice leaked. I tried putting small clamps on both sides but it still leaks. My clamps may have been a bit big and I am going to try smaller clamps as soon as I can find some but so far my truck is sitting home, unable to be driven, with a leaking fuel line. Any other ideas on how to stop a leaking fuel line at the splice?
Old 09-29-2003, 06:45 PM
Posting Guru

ctfuzzy is starting off with a positive reputation.
PEPPER !

Well, short of pouring about a cup of black peper in the gas tank, I think hose clamps are about your only (cost effective) option.

BTW - I'm kidding about the pepper

Mike.
Old 09-29-2003, 08:31 PM
Elder User

PSKSAM2 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.PSKSAM2 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Are those splicers meant for fuel lines or AC lines? The quick connects are used on both, I don't know which would have higher pressures. Personally, I wouldn't take the chance on my truck and would just shell out for the new fuel line.

-Jim

02 Mustang GT
98 B4000 SE 4 4x4 Auto

No single raindrop feels that it is responsible for the flood.
Old 09-30-2003, 06:38 AM
Postmaster

tomw has a very good reputation on FTE.tomw has a very good reputation on FTE.tomw has a very good reputation on FTE.
Your Ford dealer also sells repair parts for the black fuel lines. Barbed fittings and unions and stub fuel line with different fittings. LOTS cheaper than the whole fuel line assembly, let me say, which is how they wanted to fix my car. Over $300 for the assembly, from tank to pressure regulator. No thanks...
tom
Old 09-30-2003, 06:47 AM
Elder User

PSKSAM2 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.PSKSAM2 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally posted by tomw
Over $300 for the assembly, from tank to pressure regulator. No thanks...
Don't get me wrong, I'd try the fix first, but if I turned the car on and saw gas coming down after I tried to clamp it, $300 and doing it right is worth the non-firey death.

-Jim

02 Mustang GT
98 B4000 SE 4 4x4 Auto

Old 09-30-2003, 07:22 AM
Freshman User

tlk401 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Here's an update on the repair to my fuel line. First off, I talked to several Ford and Mazda dealers in my area and they all stated they too have used the quick connect repair kits and it was one of them who gave me a hint on what to do. These kits are available at Pep Boys, NAPA and other places. They come with a replacement quick connect fitting attached to a length of fuel line and a barb for connecting the two fuel lines - your old one you cut and the new one. No clamps are included, the barb is supposed to hold. I cut my old line and spliced it but the line leaked at both sides of the barb. With the leak I parked the vehicle. I was not about to drive a car with a leaking fuel line. One dealer told me he has used the kits and he too had the leaking problem. He found the barb was too small for the existing Ford/Mazda 5/16 fuel line and suggested I go to a home improvement store and get a 5/16" i.d. barb fitting that is slightly larger than the supplied barb. I did. This barb was much harder to install. You have to heat the tubing (both the supplied tubing and that on the vehicle) in hot water to soften but once the barb went on and the tubing cooled it was tight and there is no removal. For added protection I installed high pressure fuel rail clamps. This splice is just as secure and strong as any other fuel connection on the vehicle.

These quick connect repair kits work but make sure the barb you use is large enough to hold. As I found, the ones supplied are not.

Although this fix appears to be working fine, with all the bending and flexing I did on the existing fuel line on my truck, I do plan to replace the line from the tank to the fuel filter with a new one. I've ordered one from the dealer ($90) and my next question is do I pull the bed or drop the tank to install it. I'm just afraid I may have weaked the existing flexible line by bending it and it could burst sometime.
Old 09-30-2003, 08:08 AM
Elder User

Great information and good work, but I am definitely glad to know that you will be replacing the entire line. For $90 it really isn't worth the hassle. I have had good luck with www.mazdastuff.com in getting good prices on Mazda/Ford parts. Richard there is a real help. But it sounds like you have it from a dealer already.

Maybe the quick connect will be a little more friendly next time.

-Jim

02 Mustang GT
98 B4000 SE 4 4x4 Auto

Old 09-30-2003, 08:08 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Ranger & B-Series

Tags
b4000, barb, boys, connect, coupling, cut, fuel, kit, line, lines, napa, nylon, pep, pressing, quick, removal