General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Ummmm in case you didn't know...bears are dangerous!

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2003, 11:49 AM
bigdmizer
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ummmm in case you didn't know...bears are dangerous!

ASSOCIATED PRESS

WASILLA, Alaska, Sept. 26 — A hunter attacked by a grizzly bear on a remote trail said he used duct tape to bind his bite wounds, then rode an all-terrain vehicle to his pickup truck and drove himself to a hospital.

BILL MURPHY said the Sept. 17 attack happened after he surprised a grizzly cub and its mother on a trail about 50 miles northeast of Anchorage where he was hunting for moose and sheep.
“I didn’t even have time to jump,” Murphy said.
Murphy grabbed his rifle but before he could raise it, the mother bear pinned him face-down.
It then clamped her jaws around his right shoulder and started shaking him like a rag. He said he felt teeth pressing against his skin, then a pop as they sliced through.
At some point, the bear let go, then stood over Murphy, panting and drooling onto his head. All he could think about was a bear attack over the summer near the Russian River where a man was bitten on the face and blinded.
“I just lay perfectly still and said, ’God, don’t bite my head,”’ Murphy said.
Finally, the bear moved away. Murphy said he got up, planning to shoot the bear, but it had broken his rifle.
Murphy said he wrapped duct tape around his shoulder and cut up a cloth bag to wrap around his thigh. He hiked out to his four-wheeler, rode about 15 miles back to his pickup truck and drove a half hour to Valley Hospital in Palmer.
The 54-year-old said he has no idea how long the attack lasted, but it felt like “two lifetimes.”
“I can laugh about it now, but I wasn’t laughing then,” he said.

P.S. This guy makes MacGuyver look like a pansy!

Old 09-26-2003, 12:02 PM
Border3899
Senior User
Yet another use for duck tape!

Old 09-26-2003, 12:05 PM
BigMattXXL
Postmaster
HA HA

you know what they say -

if you can't duck it,

F-orget about it!

XXL

Old 09-26-2003, 12:27 PM
Jimmy Dean
Postmaster
duct tape works on everyhting except ducts.....odd huh....shouldn't it be non-duct tape. or Everything-but-Duct Tape?

Old 09-26-2003, 12:30 PM
Bubba Shrimp
Posting Guru
So what is it, duct tape or duck tape?

Old 09-26-2003, 12:31 PM
Border3899
Senior User
LOL just realized my typo!

Old 09-26-2003, 12:37 PM
cheese4420
Junior User
Actually I think the correct 'generic' name for the product is duct tape. It was designed for HVAC ducts. However, there is a brand out there that calls it DUCK tape. They have a little yellow duck for their logo. So I guess it depends on what brand you buy as to if it is duck or duct tape. Everyone calls facial tussues Kleenex and it pisses Puffs off to high hell. Thats the brakes for some products.

Old 09-26-2003, 12:51 PM
Bubba Shrimp
Posting Guru
Originally posted by cheese4420
Actually I think the correct 'generic' name for the product is duct tape. It was designed for HVAC ducts. However, there is a brand out there that calls it DUCK tape. They have a little yellow duck for their logo. So I guess it depends on what brand you buy as to if it is duck or duct tape. Everyone calls facial tussues Kleenex and it pisses Puffs off to high hell. Thats the brakes for some products.
Thanks for clearing that up cheesey. I have seen it spelled both ways and wondered why.

And sorry bigM for getting way off the topic. Boy if I was face down with a 500 pound bear breathing down my neck I'd definitely be cleaning my shorts before I got on my 4 wheeler.

Last edited by Bubba Shrimp; 09-26-2003 at 12:56 PM.
Old 09-26-2003, 02:05 PM
MuchToMyDelight
Posting Guru
I saw a pair of undies that said "ATTN: Paramedics- These were clean this morning"

Old 09-26-2003, 02:16 PM
Bubba Shrimp
Posting Guru
That's a good one.

Old 09-26-2003, 07:55 PM
willowbilly3
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Read the book Bear Tales and it's folow up More Bear Tales. You will never go into the woods again with out a new fear of bears. Most of us Alaskans could tell a few second hand. I know a lot of people who have had encounters but nobody with teeth marks. I have al least two friends who have had bear charge and had to shoot them. Definately dirty pants time when said bear falls dead two paces in front of you.

Old 09-26-2003, 08:26 PM
Matts72
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Actually I was thinking if you wanted a good read, check out Mark of the Grizzly, I don't recall the author right now. Its definetly a good read.

Old 09-26-2003, 10:12 PM
rebocardo
Post Fiend
Yea, one of the few things that make me uneasy in the woods alone is knowing bears are about. Especially me scaring them with cubs, especially a black bear. If they are closer than 30 feet you really have no chance of responding in time if you are surprised.

Old 09-26-2003, 11:26 PM
13hondacr250
Posting Guru
I know of 2 guys that got charged by a bear in Farewell about 2 weeks ago. Had just enough time to hit it in the head and it dropped. They got lucky. My 870 and some sabot slugs are always with me in the woods.

Old 09-27-2003, 03:55 AM
willowbilly3
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm with you on that 13honda, I don't even go berry picking without my mossberg slung up. I load every other shell a sabot and double ott(hm never had to spell that before). The last one is always the buckshot just in case one is real close. I also keep some birdshot in the cartdridge sling. I have let a couple of nosey little blackies have a taste of that and they do skeedaddle. Both times were up around the house and when all else failed I would judiciously give them a shot in the rump when they weren't looking, so I didn't put out an eye or something. This does not work on moose.
I know a lot of guys prefer magnum side arms but I will take a sawed-off skatter-gun any day. My mossberg has the short rifled slug barrel.

Quick Reply: Ummmm in case you didn't know...bears are dangerous!