exhaust question

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2003, 01:15 AM
duph
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question exhaust question

Okay I may sound stupid here but whatever Ive never done this before

I have a 92 F150 I6, my question is do these truck have 2 cats? Ive read some post saying they do? I thought that I had 1 cat and 1 muffler but the truck is very noisy. half of my system is gone so Im in the dark. did the muffler come after the cats?

Ill be tackling this probably Saturday so any help advice would be great, thanks

Old 09-26-2003, 08:16 AM
Egor
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, the muffler does go on after the cats. my truck had two cats and a muffler, I think they call the first one a pre-converter or something like that.

Old 09-26-2003, 08:29 AM
duph
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ah okay thats cool then, the job "should" be much easier. Thank you!!!

Old 09-27-2003, 04:22 PM
Jack01
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
your truck has a preconverter and a cat the preconverter forms the Y for the two pipes the exits as one pipe with the cat behind it you will find your O2 sensor prior to the preconverter in the center of the Y. the muffler is indeed behind the cats. I replaced my cats with a hi flow cat and comp muffler I bought both off of the net and saved myself about 1000.00 dollars doing it myself.

since you are going to work on the exhaust system it would be a good time to test your cats for back pressure and plugging. this would save you time and money in the future if you have a bad cat to catch it now not after you put on a new muffler. due to the fact some shops weld the pipes on.