General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Executions

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2003, 07:08 AM
horse_trader
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Executions

Thought I'd start a thread here, and let the masses takes over.

Why don't we perform more exuecution of murderers, repeat rapists, and others without delay after being found guilty?

This morning on the news, stated a murdered who stabbed a woman (Sapp?) 27 times in a gas station/rest area got life.

Life in prison for taking life! 27 times stabbed!
It's coming out of your taxes to pay for this persons sentance.

Common sense has fell by the way side in this country, it seems the criminals get more representation than the victoms.
Who's to blame?
What if that was your daughter?

Old 09-25-2003, 10:11 AM
Bubba Shrimp
Posting Guru
I heard that it costs more to execute someone than it does to put them away for life. I don't understand why that would be, enought juice to light a lightbulb should do it.

Old 09-25-2003, 10:35 AM
gdub
Senior User
It costs more because there are more lawyers involved. If we could execute the lawyer along with his client it would solve 2 problems at once.

Old 09-25-2003, 10:40 AM
Big Orn
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Removed for poor taste

Last edited by Ryan50hrl; 09-25-2003 at 11:53 AM.
Old 09-25-2003, 11:00 AM
Bubba Shrimp
Posting Guru
I'm with gdub and big orn. Mike W thinks we are going to be taken over by the UN, but I think the lawyers are going to beat them to it. There're like roaches, everywhere. We need a big can of RAID for lawyers.

Old 09-25-2003, 11:16 AM
whistler
Senior User
Just to play Devil's Advocate here, imagine you were sentenced to death. Except you didn't commit the crime. Wouldn't you want as many lawyers as possible helping you?

Whistler

Old 09-25-2003, 11:37 AM
Bubba Shrimp
Posting Guru
Imagine I tortured , raped and murdered a six year old girl and then got the state to pay for my lawyers while I sat in prison for 15 years watching TV and playing games.

Old 09-25-2003, 11:43 AM
dono
Gone but not forgotten.
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
It would be no problem if we were civilized enough to abolish the death penalty. I could support a death penalty if we could be sure that only the guilty are convicted (we all know that is not the case) and that all trials are fair and equal ( who has the best chance of acquittal, a rich man or a poor man - was O.J. innocent?). Also, is putting some one painlessly asleep more punishment than keeping one locked up for life, knowing that today will be like yesterday, which will be the same tomorrow? In Texas we execute more than any other state and our murder rate indicates that capitol punishment is not a deterrent. By defination, if we kill an innocent while killing the guilty are we not murderers ourselves, does due process make it OK?
Dono

Old 09-25-2003, 11:50 AM
Jimmy Dean
Postmaster
Dono, one of the reasons Tx kills more and it does not seem a deterant, look at per capita. If I remember Tx is one of the largest staes with cap punishment still....and Tx does not have a good rec of catchin a large perc. of the murderers. I for one am for cap pun. If you are really inn then you should (hopefully) have enough evidence to prove thus. Also, there are not as many innocents conv. as you might think there are. And I agree with the lawyers and politicians.

Old 09-25-2003, 11:51 AM
whistler
Senior User
Rather than the death penalty, I like the idea of exile. If you are found guilty of a heinous crime you are no longer welcome in our society. We won't kill you, but we will make you leave permanently.

This prevents us from executing the innocent while protecting ourselves from repeat offenders.

The only catch to this plan is "Where do we exile people to?"

I don't know. I suppose this is one of the reasons it hasn't happened yet.

Whistler

Old 09-25-2003, 11:58 AM
whistler
Senior User
Originally posted by Jimmy Dean
If you are really inn then you should (hopefully) have enough evidence to prove thus.
People do not prove their innocence. Rather the opposite is true. I'm sure you knew this, but it is a crucial compenent of the judicial system in this country.

[QOUTE]Also, there are not as many innocents conv. as you might think there are. And I agree with the lawyers and politicians. [/QUOTE]

Even if there is just innocent put to death, isn't that too many? What if you were that one innocent?

Whistler

Old 09-25-2003, 12:00 PM
Jimmy Dean
Postmaster
No..it is the same argument that we are having in Iraq...is one innocents life worth protecting this amount of innocents lifes and punishing the guilty? SAME TOPIC and in todays court, you are basically tryin to prove your inccocance, not defend it, which is opposite what is written.

BTW I am in the military, I understand that my life is worth losing if it is to save another or ten or twenty. By getting rid of cap pun, you are letting more offenders loose..cause we cannot hold them all for 80 years. and thus causing people to lose their lives when these people commit their crimes again.

Old 09-25-2003, 12:01 PM
dakejh
Senior User
I agree with the previous. We cannot and must execute individuals unless we are absolutely sure they are guilty. However, I agree with the death penalty. In the clear cut cases.

More importantly, Prison seems to be like "club med" for some. We need to make "Hard time" hard again. Bread and water. Just enough to sustain life. No TV, No Phone, No internet. Hard Labor needs to come back. Work these criminals to the bone. There is only one place in America where Hard Labor is still a valuable part of controlling the prison inmates. That is the Military Prison at Fort Leavenworth. They really do make big rocks into little rocks.

For those who are the lobby for prisoners rights; Have you ever looked at prisons in other countries? Some like Turkey, Thialand, China, Russia. That is "Hard Time." In America, we coddle our criminals. For some, its a better life that the streets.

This is the problem......

Old 09-25-2003, 12:04 PM
Jimmy Dean
Postmaster
Umm....honestly? Prisoners in Fed Pens live a better life than me as far as creature comforts. Granted, they do not get to drive a Ford ...or not with the freedom I do. I do not have Cable TV, I actually have to pay if I am late for work, I do not get free, good meals without having to work for it....lemme see...if I could combine my freedoms with some of the comforts they have, WOW that wold be great.

Old 09-25-2003, 12:05 PM
dakejh
Senior User
As for the Texas Debate;

86% of those who have been executed in Texas in the last 17 years were not from Texas. Fortunatly for society, that is where they happened to commit their crime........

And now they are swimmin with the fishes.

Quick Reply: Executions