Just bought my first Ranger Pickup!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2003, 11:59 AM
Flexfuel-Dave
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greetings! I just wanted to say that I like the look of your site so much that I had to sign on.

I just bought a '99 Ranger. It's an Extended cab 3.0 and has the automatic. It has fairly low mileage at 32k.

One thing I noticed about the truck on my first drive was its lack of power. Hooked up to the automatic trany, I find it's almost dangerously slow.

I'm an avid Mustang 5.0 owner and I've toyed with the H.O. 302's for about 6 years. What can I do to get more torque out this 3.0 motor? Everyone I know loves their 4.0L trucks, but I couldn't pass up on the deal I got. :-X23

Thanks in advance, Dave

Old 09-23-2003, 01:10 PM
agelder
Senior User

There's a cam available somewhere (can't remember where I saw it) and the standard intake/exhaust mods and headers. After that, I have heard rumors there is a whipple supercharger kit in the works for the 3.0L vulcan.

Old 09-23-2003, 02:23 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Welcome to FTE!

The 3.0L "vulcan" is a very reliable, durable engine and at 32K yours is just a baby...

Pretty much anyone who has a vulcan will tell you that one of the main limiting factors is the air intake and stock exhaust...in other words, the volume of air in and volume of air out is not where most people would like it. I suggest you focus your initial efforts there...

Old 09-24-2003, 07:49 PM
silvapain
Senior User

actually. Eaton already makes a supercharger for the vulcan. it's a little over 3k, but that includes everything you would need(FMU, etc). also, check your injector sizes. I am still ticked off at the 14lb. pieces of crap in my taurus.

Old 09-25-2003, 05:59 AM
Flexfuel-Dave
Elder User
Thanks for the attention! That basic idea of getting the truck to inhale and exhale is likely my first plan of attack. I’d prefer to keep it naturally aspirated. I've mentioned my Mustang experience, but being Ranger ignorant, how responsive is a stock 3.0 to these intake and exhaust mods.?

What kind of horsepower should I pick up and would the much needed torque also follow?

Old 09-27-2003, 08:49 PM
rangersvt04
Posting Guru
umm maybe its becouse of the auto trans but my 96 5 speed has some guts it will stay with my buddies caprie (83 5.0L t-5 tranny) untill third. i am shifting into third as he passes me. but it somkes v6 comaros and once in a wile v6 mustangs. but get the exahust upgraded and intake. next spring if gas prices are still low im droping a 5.0L in her. if not,, who made that super charger?

Last edited by Rockledge; 09-28-2003 at 10:44 AM.
Old 09-27-2003, 09:55 PM
silvapain
Senior User
I don't know if they'll let me post this, but www.boosthead.com will set you up with a Vulcan supercharger for about 3k.

Old 09-28-2003, 09:27 AM
Flexfuel-Dave
Elder User
Originally posted by rangersvt04
umm maybe its becouse of the auto trans but my 96 5 speed has some guts
That's another good point! Reflecting on my 5.0 experiences, the AOD cars needed a shift kit and an appropriate converter to make them come alive. With this setup they are able to run with the stock stick cars.

I'll also have to look into this. Why mod an engine, only to have the trany holding it back and wiping out your progress?

Last edited by Rockledge; 09-28-2003 at 10:44 AM.