Tranny cooler installation.

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2003, 06:24 PM
Wolfman2405
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since I am going to be draining and changing my tranny fluid/filter tomorrow(thanks to BlueOvalFitter) I was thinking of putting a tranny cooler on.
Now I have one that is a 4 pass, that my dad had on his race car(351 Cleveland, in I think a 1974 Ford Torino) I tried to pore tranny fluid in it and then blow it out with compressed air but that is taking to long. It's in great shape other than I want to make sure to get ALL the crap out of it. Can I force water through it to clean it out and then blow some tranny fluid/compressed air through it to really clean it out??? I read on another website that when they installed there new cooler they bypassed the OE cooler in the radiator so the new cooler was the only thing cooling the fluid, what's your thoughts on that?? There reasoning was why have your fluid as hot as your water themp, if you can bypass the OE cooler and run the new cooler only and have your tranny temps cooler than your water temps. There reasoning sound solid to me, it makes sense. Also what kind of hose should I use to install the new cooler with? One place I looked just said don't use fuel line, but they never said what to use.
Thanks,
Kevin

Old 09-24-2003, 12:16 AM
GeneStoner
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Use hose SPECIFICALLY DESIGNED for tranny cooler instalation (high pressure).

Old 09-24-2003, 10:45 AM
javi2001
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have a look at www. haydenauto.com there is some info on this issue.

Regards;