1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Window Water Leak

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2003, 06:45 AM
DadsrII
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Window Water Leak

I found 2 water leaks yesterday in my 92 Ranger Supercab 4.0.

I just bought the truck in the begining of the September, and noticed the mildew smell, but the guy gave me the open window story, and even though I didn't buy the story, I did buy the truck! More of an emotional, instead of logical choice. Anyway I got sick of the smell, so I removed the 2 seats and the carpet. I turned the carpet over to find 2 areas wet, one on each side in the front.

Then I got my daughter to get in the box and spray water over the cab. With nothing to absorb the water I just waited for little streams to form. I found leaks!

The driver side one is an easy fix, the grommet was missing from the firewall. I saw it prior but didn't think it would leak just sitting there I saw it coming in. I sealed that one off with a grommet I had laying around, one with a hole in it, that I filled with silicone.

The one on the passenger side seems easy, only I am not sure of the name of the part to order. It is the rubber at the bottom of the passenger door window. The water runs down the window into the door out the bottom and hits that rubber weather strip then into the car....... I think or it may be hitting the inner door panel (no plastic sheet inside the door)and then into the car.

Anyway I was thinking of replacing the rubber at the bottom of the window. Does anyone know what it is called, are those the anti rattle strips? Has anyone had this problem and fixed it?

Any other suggestions to stop the water?

Thanks for any help!

Old 09-21-2003, 10:04 AM
GrayRanger4x4
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Window Water Leak

First I would look at the bottom of the door there should be at least 2 ,maybe 3 drain holes there .Make sure that they are not stoped up.If the are you might have rusted a hole to the inside of the door ,take the door panel off to see.I would check both doors.I dont think that the peace you are talking about is a seal. JM.02W

GOOD LUCK!!

Old 09-21-2003, 09:15 PM
DadsrII
Freshman User
Window Water Leak

I have the door panel off and I just went outside with a flashlight (night time here) and looked the holes are clear. As soon as water hits the window it comes pouring in. I just realized that when we tested it though the door panel was on. Without the white plastic sheet on the door is it possible that the water hits the door panel and is funneled into the car?

Is it normal for water to enter the door by this rubber seal? Or is it supposed to keep it out...... anyone?

Old 09-24-2003, 08:06 PM
DadsrII
Freshman User
Window Water Leak

Well as an update I put a sheet of plastic on the door and we just had a big rainstorm, no water into the passenger side. The grommet also worked on the driver side. I still haven't put the carpet back yet, probably going to replace it (strong mildew smell).

I am still wondering about if ford designed the door to allow water in the top and out the bottom, it doesn't make sense to me. I would welcome any input from you guys.

Next step is to take the box off this weekend, my fuel gauge doesn't work, reads empty, I disconnected the wire from the tank and it went right up to full, so I am assuming the problem is either the ground, float or sending unit. I read lots of threads that said the bed removal method is easier, hope they are right

Old 09-29-2003, 05:54 AM
DadsrII
Freshman User
Well I took the box off, very easy way to get to the sending unit, glad I took the time to read the treads here, thanks guys. It was the float, I know cause there wasn't one there! I also maually moved the wire that holds it at different levels and the gauge moved to different locations (full, 1/2 tank, etc...). Anyone that reads this, a bit of advice, buy your float in advance, around here it is a dealer item, and they are closed on the weekend, so my truck is sitting in the garage with the bed off, hopefully the dealer will have it in stock.

Old 09-29-2003, 06:59 AM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Glad you figured out both problems!

Old 09-29-2003, 10:59 AM
TheUglyTroll
New User
Thanks for sharing! That is what this forum is all about.

Been there and done that when needing parts on the weekend. Kind of puts a kink into ones plans....

One thing to possibly consider if/when replacing door seals.

My brother recently replaced the door "rubber" on his old truck. He had to readjust the latches, too. (He thinks that the previous owner may have tightened them to stop wind noise.) He is happy now, less dust inside and no occasional rain leaks. (He lives in the desert country and has more dust than rain.)

Take care!

TUT