Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

1997 Explorer - I need advices :)

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2003, 04:57 AM
Yatzeek
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1997 Explorer - I need advices :)

Hi! I'm going to buy my first SUV. Explorer '97, 4.0l, 5 doors, 43 000 miles.
I know nothing about SUVs, especially about Explorer.
What I must check? What should I check?
I haven't manual book , the car is form second hand, and current owner knows nothing about car history.
Explorer looks good and quite new but what is absolutely to check in MECHANISMS and how to do it?
Help me please

Old 09-22-2003, 09:43 AM
CobraXP
Logistics Pro
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WEelcome to FTE Yatzeek!

With any used vehicle (new also), you don't have to be a certified mechanic to check out a car. If you have the chance, it is always good to take it and have it checked before purchase just to be sure. But if not, here are a few things to look for:
  • Leaking fluids in or under vehicle
  • whistling air for vaccum leaks
  • brake pads, rotor wear, etc
  • front end alignment
  • oil leaks anywhere on or under engine
  • radiator fluids and any corrosion in it
  • electrical additions (sometimes they are not installed correctly and can be hazardous)
  • tire wear
  • rear end leaks, squeals, etc
  • gaskets and leaks
  • under carriage damage
  • wreckage?

This is just a few things. Things to check with Explorers are not all that different than other vehicles. But on the 4.0, you might want to check the head gaskets, IAC, and tranny. They seem to be the largest problems that come up.

I would take the IAC, EGR valve, and mass air meter off and clean them with a carb cleaner or something similiar, and check them out. With only 43K, seems like the Explorer might have been well maintained.

Good Luck with it and let us know how you like your Explorer! I hope you get as much enjoyment out of yours as I have mine!

Old 09-22-2003, 10:30 AM
drcoffee
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also check for accident damage. With a 4X4 I'd avoid any truck thats been hit. Order a CARFAX.com report for the history. With any owner that knows Nothing about their own car, I'd be worried they are hiding something. Take your time!

When looking over the truck for previous accidents, look inside the engine hood area around the fenders and see if you can see over-spray of paint on parts it should not be on, like electrical components, wiring, brackets, etc. Crawl underneath and look around for leaks, and paint spray on the bumper brackets, etc. Look for things that look out of place. If the truck has 43k miles, then the undercarriage should look that old. If you see clean parts, ask questions. Open the hood and run the engine and listen to abnormal sounds, Ticking, whislting or squeeling. Then pay a mechanic to catch what you missed. If you see problems, don't pay a mechanic to tell you the same. Just walk away and find another truck.

I seem to hear more negative posts regarding the V6. You may want to look into the running record of that engine. folks here on the forum can be more help than I with this issue.

I bought a 5.0L for the reliability.

Don't fall in love with the truck, think clearly and be careful as the repairs can bite into your buget.

Good luck.