66' Falcon Ranchero

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2003, 10:54 PM
Sesh2k
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
66' Falcon Ranchero

Alright, me and my pops(Im only 17, but my dad's PC illeterate) have a 66 falcon ranchero and it would be a great help if you could help us.

1)Our ranchero has a two tone painjob, the top of the cab has been painted black(Rest of the body is red), were pretty sure its not factory, but were not quite sure.

2) Were also in a bit of a problem, last summer, we had the car running, but now it wont start, so we put in a new starter, and we re-wire the entire engine compartment, Where's the fuse box, and where else could the problem lay in the wiring?

We could also use some help on the body work, any tips would be great

Last edited by Sesh2k; 09-19-2003 at 10:56 PM.
Old 09-30-2003, 06:27 PM
rebel8324
New User
Yo i got a 66 ranchero for my 16th bday. The paintjob is definitely not factory so.. yea. Um about the wiring.. the wiring is extremely simple in this car..mostly every wire can be accessed by taking the instrument panel off. My fuse box was under the dash on the drivers side but was just sorta hanging there. So yea wut else have u done to ur car..I would like to hear wut uve done and maybe get suggestions for my car and vice versa..lata

Old 10-11-2003, 07:38 PM
63Fairlane500
Junior User
Don't know about the pain job being factory. I have a 63 Fairlane, and my fuse box is under the dash on the drivers side. The ranchero is a Fairlane with a bed on it and the 62-70's are all basically the same engineering. Did you replace the starter solenoid on the fender well near th battery? Sometimes that is the problem rather than the starter even though many a less expensive solenoid has been replaced when the more expensive starter was faulty. Also, a Ford starting system requires a fully charged battery to both work properly, and to prevent burning the point contacts in the starter due to the starter trying to draw enough current from a weak battery.

Old 10-15-2003, 09:17 AM
armyguy
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
is your car a stick or automatic? if it`s an auto it could be as simple as a nutrel safety switch, my 1st car was a 62 falcon with a 170 six-banger and a 3 on the tree i bought from the county in 1978 for $100. these old cars are wired very simple, the fuse box is under the dash on the driver side, make sure you have a full charge on the battery, turn the key to IGN and see if you have power going to the coil, if you do I`d suspect points or a condenser, points run about 6 bucks, use a dwell meter if you change them, it`s more accurrate than a feeler gauge or my dads favorite gage "a matchbook" ..

Old 10-18-2003, 05:07 PM
tojaho
New User
66 is a falcon body

66' is a falcon body. They did not start using the fairlane body till 67'

Old 10-23-2003, 03:20 PM
Dealford
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The last time I looked at my 63 Fairlane, the fuse block was attached to the underside of the headlight switch. Betcha the Falcon's the same.

Old 10-24-2003, 02:03 AM
63Fairlane500
Junior User
Yes, Dealford my fuse box is at the headlight switch also. And, I musta been asleep when I said the "Falcon" Ranchero was a Fairlane frame/body. I guess was thinking that Fairlanes were the same frames from 62-70, however that had nothing to do with a Ranchero question or body. Sorry guys, that's one on me.....LOL...I'll try to to wake up before I type next time.

Old 10-29-2003, 07:15 PM
Mr OOPS!!
New User
If you will post me the letters on the door tag for the color I will tell you if the two tone paint is original(at least if it should be black over red). There were some that color combo.

Old 11-16-2003, 03:18 PM
calgearhead
Junior User
1966 upgrades

I'm in the process of purchasing a 66 Ranchero, and the person whom I'm getting it from told me a couple of tricks for it, one being to put a 67 Mustang master cylinder into it to replace the original or even a late-model Explorer master with the Quick-fill option should work ( used on roadrace early model Mustangs being built now) and to get a second radiator with a good top and find a good ratiator shop to build a 4 core radiator to replace the undersized 2 core. Thats all the goodies I have, but I have questions as well.

1) I want disk brakes up front so I can stop easier/ quicker in the rain. What parts/ years am I looking for to do this? Is the frame stub still an early model Mustang or...? I'd prefer the junk yard parts source due to the fact I'm on a student budget.

2) Monte Carlo and Export braces. Same as Mustang or something else?

3) Front suspension, same as Mustang or no? I'd kinda like to do a Shelby style suspension on it, if possible.

4) Where can I find front floorboards? Flintstone style don't work for me in the rain too well.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Calgearhead

1926 Model T Sedan ( body only 'til further notice )
1960 F250 Crewcab
1961 F250 4X4 ( MUST SELL )
1966 Ranchero ( if all goes well )

Old 11-20-2003, 01:10 AM
calgearhead
Junior User
Forgot, I'm also looking for a 'glass hood preferably Thunderbolt stlye with the "teardrop"

Old 11-28-2003, 06:31 AM
Samhain
Freshman User
Well this seems to be the right place for a question I have. I will be going to look at a 66 Ranchero sometimes this weekend and would like to know if anyone has found any surprises I should lookk for. I know all of the usual things that apply to most any car, but are there any 66 Ranchero "specifics" that I should be on the look out for?

Old 11-28-2003, 06:42 PM
willowbilly3
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
On the brake swap you may want to check back issues of Hot Rod magazine and do a search. I have an old issue from last year that they did the brake swap on a 64 Falcon. They actually bought the kit but they also talk about the Grenada parts that you can use.
It is my understanding that the 66 is unique in that it still has a falcon front but uses the fairlane rear. I have been pillaging a 66 at my local junkyard and have some trim and stuff I will be listing on ebay. I also started a thread here to see if anyone needed some other stuff as I hate to see good parts go to the crusher. It is pretty well dented up but has decent tan door panels, side glass, windshield trim(which I don't have a clue how to remove), a tight auto/tranny steering column, a savable tailgate and probably many small parts. I realize that I am pushing FTE rules about selling but I am really just trying to keep some hard to find parts from disappearing forever.And I hate to take my time to remove all that stuff just to have it lay around. I mostly focus on 67-72 pickups but I also have a 64 full size two door post.(custom)

Old 11-28-2003, 08:19 PM
Samhain
Freshman User
Hey Willowbilly3 I will go to your thread and see what you have. I will reply with my Q&A question and see if the thread picks up. I did not get to see the 66 tonight but you may have answered some of my questions already.

Old 12-27-2003, 07:00 PM
astute observer
New User
Bought a 66 Ranchero

I just bought a '66 Ranchero last weekend, picked it up on monday. It is a rust-free Oklahoma vehicle, one of the reasons that I bought it. The other resaons were: I'm an incurable Fordnatic, it was priced way too cheap to pass up, it has a fresh 351W, and besides...it's cute as can be!

This one was originally a 289 with three speed on the column. The guy I bought it from told me it had a four speed in it when he bought it. It now has an AOD. The engine is a .030 over 351W out of a 75 Monarch. He had it rebuilt using Keith Black Pistons, 268 cam, roller rockers, Hooker Headers, DUI Ignition, etc.

It runs very strong considering that it still has a cast iron manifold and two-barrel. I might be mistaken, but I'm guessing that I know why he didn't get around to the intake and carb. With the taller decks of the 351W, hood clearance is minimal now. Looks to me like some hood mods are a must, in order to run an aftermarket intake.

I am needing a few odds & ends for this car/truck....whatever it is! I'm needing the chrome moulding that goes on the front edge of the hood. I also need the windshield wiper/washer switch. It has been wired around and has a toggle switch dangling under the dash.

If anyone has these items to sell, e-mail me and let me know what you have and what you want for same.

Old 12-29-2003, 03:50 PM
calgearhead
Junior User
Anyone know the difference between a 66 Falcon hood and a 66 Ranchero? I've found 'glass hoods for a falcon, but they say it wont fit a Ranchero.

Quick Reply: 66' Falcon Ranchero