Intake / Air filter and performance

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2003, 03:26 AM
mikebemt
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure if this is the best place to post this question or not......

Anyway. I'm wondering what kind of intake upgrade I might be able to make to a 97 F150 with a 4.6L. An increase in performance would be nice but I'm wondering if any kind of intake upgrade would or could improve gas milage?

I just have the factory air cleaner intake now.

Thanks Guys

Mike

Old 09-19-2003, 05:11 AM
mikebemt
Freshman User

Also....

I just read a TON of posts about K&N filters and the people that love and hate them. I'll have to make my mind up on that yet.

Actually....the more I think about it....(and after reading about 100 posts on the matter) I think I have a better idea of what is available out there. So....don't feel the need to reply unless ya really want to!

Boy do people have strong feelings about K&N filters!

Sheesh

Old 09-19-2003, 07:36 AM
LxMan1

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

To each, his own. I use K&N filters in my truck and car. I like not having to buy another one ever again. They are easy to clean and do flow a bit better without any loss in filtration. The oil on the filter actually catches smaller dirt that paper.
Jimmy

Old 09-19-2003, 05:10 PM
MrBSS
Posting Guru

Well, I would respectfully disagree. Since his 4.6 uses the same paper filter which has capacity for the 5.4 AND the V-10, it is unlikely to present much restriction in his situation. Therefore a K&N is unlikely to flow significantly better. Actually the K&N may be worse in this application, since it has a flat end rather than the aerodynamically superior "bullet" end on the paper filters. I don't think that design was used without reason.

In addition, analysis of many oil samples has shown greater dirt contamination when a K&N is used. I believe that throttle body contamination and engine wear will increase, although it may take 50,000 or even many more miles for it to become noticeable depending on the vehicle and conditions. By then most people have either changed vehicles or attribute it to "normal" wear.

It is actually difficult for me to say this, as I once was a believer and I always want to improve my vehicles. I have purchased four K&N's over the years. Personal experience with two vehicles purchased new at about the same time and both still in my family fleet at over 250,000 miles, along with the oil analyses mentioned, have changed my opinion.

Others may have different experiences, but I have yet to see an improvement in intake cleanliness and engine wear with the K&N (the best I've seen is "equal" and most are a few percentage points worse--which when you invert the percentages, means two to four times the amount of dirt gets through). The flow improvements, certainly in this application, are questionable and/or insignificant. One man's opinion!

Old 09-20-2003, 10:49 PM
LxMan1

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

My K&N has the same rounded end on the inlet side that the factory one does.
Jimmy

Old 09-21-2003, 12:22 PM
MrBSS
Posting Guru

Interesting; I have an E-0945 K&N, which I believe is the recommended filter for these engines and its flat above the tapered end. That was one of the reasons I took it off after 50 miles.

It's for sale cheap, if anyone is interested.

Old 09-22-2003, 01:39 PM
Omnicron
New User

I used to have a K&N, then I switched to a dual intake (for looks mostly..). I honestly didn't see any major advantage to the K&N over other intake kits/filters.
Currantly, I'm using a pair a chrome Spectre's. The thing I like about them, is that the Spectre's have the open end, while the K&N's did not.
~Matt

Old 09-22-2003, 05:08 PM
mberet
Freshman User

I have the whole set up, I agree with MrBss not worth the money for the little gain you get. For one theres not a hot air block, I would save your money for supercharger if you want to see any real HP changes. MPG I have read where people have changed out the gears to 3.10's and saw no real MPG savings. Maybe if you do 30 different mods you might really see something. But from someone thats been there and done that I would say save your money cause your not going to see 13 to 18 mpg change the only thing you might see 13 flat to a 13.2 mpg with a K&N. I see guys post they went from 11 to 18 mpg with K&N thats BS or they work for K&N. Take your cover off your airbox and drive around you will get about the same effect.